Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2461 - 2468 of 2468 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the feedback gents. I would have thought seeing that CHCJ is relatively close both distance and directionally to CHCH which is 110% rock solid that I wouldn't have any issues with CHCJ. Could be I have a null in my antenna reception pattern, or some other anomaly causing this. I doubt my changing the PCB baluns on the DB4e's external 300/75 ohms type is the cuplrit (as they helped with most other channels). I will also not re-aim to get CHCJ better at the expense of Buffalo. Maybe adding a dipole to catch CKCO consistently may be an option for reliable CTV coverage. My CM7777 is the old style with seperate VHF/UHF inputs. If I can get my new (Kijiji buy) RCA TVPRAMP12E (see post #4406 in the Signal Amp/Preamp Thread) working I can try out the overload theory.
Cheers....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the feedback gents. I would have thought seeing that CHCJ is relatively close both distance and directionally to CHCH which is 110% rock solid that I wouldn't have any issues with CHCJ. Could be I have a null in my antenna reception pattern, or some other anomaly causing this. I doubt my changing the PCB baluns on the DB4e's external 300/75 ohms type is the cuplrit (as they helped with most other channels). I will also not re-aim to get CHCJ better at the expense of Buffalo. Maybe adding a dipole to catch CKCO consistently may be an option for reliable CTV coverage. My CM7777 is the old style with seperate VHF/UHF inputs. If I can get my new (Kijiji buy) RCA TVPRAMP12E (see post #4406 in the Signal Amp/Preamp Thread) working I can try out the overload theory.
Cheers....
if you buy the newpre-amp buythr cn7778 instead because it will not overload from strong signals like the cm7777 does.i ,live less than a mile away grom the chch tower and use the cn7778 pre-amp and get no overload at all but when we tried the cm7777 more than half my stations would disappear becaus of overload.have fun chears

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you buy the newpre-amp buythr cn7778 instead because it will not overload from strong signals like the cm7777 does.i ,live less than a mile away grom the chch tower and use the cn7778 pre-amp and get no overload at all but when we tried the cm7777 more than half my stations would disappear becaus of overload.have fun chears
Thanks Heans.
This may be an overload issue judging by your comments.
I used to use an AD PA-18 (though I'm not sure about it's overload tolerance comapred to either CM preamp) before getting the CM7777, and found it just didn't have the gain I needed for Buffalo. Not sure if the CM7778 would do the job, though it is within a few dB of the CM7777 on UHF. I did pick a CM 7778 up a few years back, but used it on my brothers setup down in St Kitts, where it works well.
The Kijiji seller I bought the RCA TVPRAMP12E has others and will work with me to get a working example. I will use this to expermiment with.
Regards...GS
ps - I found some posts regarding the AD-PA-18, and apparentl it's not very good from the standpoint of overload.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Update....I swapped out the CM7777 for a now working RCA TVPRAMP12E. CHCJ (35) is still "spotty" at best. Since the pre amp change I am now getting 13 (CKCO) consistently, eliminating my need to make a dipole for this channel.Both channels are CTV, so I'm glad to have one consistently. With my stack pointed at Buffalo, I used a phone app to see where CHCJ is realtive to my array. It is right in a dense cluster of trees, off to the side of my antennas. Maybe there's a deep null in my reception pattern for the array in that direction.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fox 29?

Is anyone having problems receiving Fox 29 out of Buffalo broadcast on 32? It seems to have been missing in action over the last several days. The other Buffalo channels are coming in fine. Initially I thought it might have been the weather but it's never been gone this long before?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fox 29?

Is anyone having problems receiving Fox 29 out of Buffalo broadcast on 32? It seems to have been missing in action over the last several days. The other Buffalo channels are coming in fine. Initially I thought it might have been the weather but it's never been gone this long before?

Coming in OK on the hill overlooking the Brantford railway station, on the beat up 25 year old antenna.

Sony TV shows SNR 23.50 +/-, and 50% +/- signal strength.

Even comes in OK on two PVRs.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
29 Fox is solid in Mississauga!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Shooot! Ok, thanks guys. I will have to do some monkeying around once the holidays are over and see if I can figure out what the problem is. Not sure why I would be missing just that one channel.

2461 - 2468 of 2468 Posts