Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2361 - 2380 of 2442 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
jlcinc2, you could try repositioning your antenna in all directions and see if the signal increases on 36, which is what WIVB/WNLO are broadcasting on now. It will probably be tough to get the signal straight from where the new transmission is coming from (south Buffalo). Might get lucky with a reflected signal off a large building... Currently, the signal is not at full power, so it might be receivable when they increase power. Also, I noticed you are using a high powered pre-amp, which might be causing CTV2 on 35 to interfere with 36. Might want to try a lower powered pre-amp, or no pre-amp. Lastly, the most recent TVs (2018 or newer) have much better tuners that could further increase chances of snagging 36. Lots to try...

·
Registered
218 Posts
if todays test for ion tv buffalo is as the signalas 100% and quality as 67% than Hamilton and Brantford should be able to get it year round.here hoping nd remember to rescan on aug2nd or 3rd to see if you catch the channel full time or not.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'll be in Brantford this weekend re-scanning my parents TV - will update you on my results there but hope they can get ION as well - seems to have a lot of there type of programming on the main ION channel and a couple of the sub-channels.

How is WIVB/WNLO working in Brantford?

·
Registered
119 Posts
WIVB/WNLO is solid in Brantford. Just waiting for all the dust to settle with everything else tonight to see what I end up with. Last night Rochester was coming in strong as well as Erie. As long as I end up with at least one PBS channel that comes in regularly I will be happy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
you will probably get the erie pbs when theu move to rf27 because they be sending there signal more north to be able to reach London because they advertise London when there asking for donations

·
Registered
218 Posts
ion tv has finually moved to rf24 from fr 23 and is booming in Hamilton right now so try if your below the mountain or in Brantford and let us know if you receive it

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well..it's there but I am getting occasional pixelation. The signal goes from rock solid to nothing. When they were testing earlier in the week, it was a strong reliable signal. Maybe tonight it will clear up and be watchable. It is easy to tell that they are broadcasting a stronger signal because ion was only an occasional visitor prior to the changeover. I suspect once things settle down I should be able to snag this daily.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't think wjet 24 has moved to rf28 yet so the pixling could be cause by wjet interfering with your signal.the reason I say this is because yesterday when wjet was testing there rf28 tvo rf28 was knocked off the air here in Hamilton and was not getting anything on that rf.as soon as 2pm came yesterday tvo Ontario reappeared.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
ION TV is solid on RF 24 as well as on RF 23.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hamilton and Brantford won't get much on rf23 other than global paris Ontario .paris is only 23 miles away from Hamilton.did get that channel 56 out of buffalo for the first time ever for a few minutes because of paris global moving from rf17.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ION on 24 was pretty good last night, about 25dbs. Currently (11:30 AM) just barely holding on at 16dbs...

WNYB on 26 was 24/7, has now switched to 5 RF is MIA...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
So that's why I no longer receive it. Not that it will be missed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
because you need a vhf antenna to receive low vhf stations from 2 to 6.they are low vhf stations and that religious channel is on rf5 which is a low vhf number

·
Registered
218 Posts
go4it you need a channel master 7778 pre-amp pointed at buffalo and that will make ion rock solid for you as i'm on the mountain and receive it really strong with no problems.channel master 7778 pre-amp will stop the 3 channels on the Hamilton atenna from overloading.also I use a channel master 8 bay pointed at buffalo and get all the Toronto channels on it side.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm now receiving WROC Rochester consistently on their new frequency and their flame thrower transmitter. Are any of you able to receive it? Also, ION is on RF24 is blowing my doors down here, although I never had issue with it before on RF23. I'm northeast of Toronto.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi go4it, I tried a few different things, first no pre-amp, that left me without any buffalo stations (PBS and Fox) also CTV and Global were very weak also changed antenna position but nothing from WIVB/WNLO. Is there a filter to cut some of the signal from channel 35 Hamilton? Might just have to wait and see if the full strength signal helps.

John

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can get channel filters from Tin Lee, but they are mucho $$$.
You could also make a filter, directions are somewhere on this forum.

Something else to try is a lowered powered/high tolerant pre-amp like CM 7778.
Also, consider the AD Juice or the Winegard HDP-269.

A cheaper filter that could help is the LTE filter by Channel Master.
It won't help with channel interference, but might make a difference if you are in an area with strong LTE signals.
I have used it and it did make a difference in getting better reception on VHF signals, i.e., CFTO and a weak Buffalo channel, WNYO.
https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenna_LTE_Filter_p/cm-3201.htm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Attenuation filter solutions for channel 35:

Major Tom showed me how to make a single channel "stub filter" by tricking out a splitter and adding a piece of coax whose length corresponds to the channel's frequency. Can look up the method if you like or he might answer you directly.

Jan Jenca Antenna Components makes filters at reasonable prices ( about $40 Us per channel)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Repacked WPXJ looks good

I've been monitoring WPXJ the last few days since the repack to RF 24 with omni signal, and it appears to be 24/7 for Hamilton mountain; an addition of 3 new channels, plus 3 shopping channels, total of 6. There was a day when the signal was weaker than usual but it probably was bad atmospheric conditions.

Similar in strength to other strong south Buffalo signals - WGRZ, WKBW, WIVB/WNLO.

2361 - 2380 of 2442 Posts