Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
3201 - 3220 of 3244 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just a followup. I did order the LTE filter from Amazon and I finally got around installing it on the roof today. Man 30C is way hotter on a metal roof. Anyway, the good new is that it did the trick as suspected. My area must have tons of LTE tower and messing mu all my RF 30+ channels. The signal strength was there was the quality was really low and when I read somewhere that pixelated picture means interference, I had to try.

Now ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS are all coming like before without any issues aside from really bad cloudy days.

I was cheap and based on the reviews, I went with the Philips LTE filter. It is the lowest price ($10 cheaper than others) that I can see on Amazon. So you can save a little money and go with the Philips.
Glad it worked, thought that was the issue. LTE and 5G infrastructure is really goofing up the OTA, especially since the frequencies have shrunk and the antennas still pick those signals up.

I couldn't get one station and tried the filter - it worked. People buy them and find out that's not their issue, then leave bad reviews for the filter. Lots of trial and error in TV reception.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have we lost any channels in the Toronto area in the past 8 years or so?

I'm in the process of troubleshooting my system which stopped working about 8 years ago. Back then I was getting about 15 channels. Today I'm getting 7 and suspect there might be a problem with the pre-amp and/or power supply. It would aid in troubleshooting if I knew we have pretty much the same channels now as we did then.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
All the channels from 8 years ago still here just changed actual frequencies so a complete re scan required.Toronto has 7,Hamilton 3,Buffalo with GTA coverage 6.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have we lost any channels in the Toronto area in the past 8 years or so?

I'm in the process of troubleshooting my system which stopped working about 8 years ago. Back then I was getting about 15 channels. Today I'm getting 7 and suspect there might be a problem with the pre-amp and/or power supply. It would aid in troubleshooting if I knew we have pretty much the same channels now as we did then.
Do an address search on Rabbit Ears and see what's available. It's the only site that seems to be updated regularly with the repacks and such.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I couldn't get my RF 34 in the Detroit market until I got a LTE filter and we are talking about a station 20 Miles away. As soon as I put the filter inline it was like "presto" and I got the channel. I'd check all the coax, baluns, amps, etc before I got the filter. If all that stuff checks out, then drop the $30 and if it doesn't work, send it back.

Every situation is different but it worked for me. If there weren't changes in transmission or they didn't build 10 condos blocking your line of sight (or adding Multipath), I'd try the $30 fix and see if it works. Remember to install BEFORE any amplification.

I was reading this thread the other day and even though I wasn't having any reception issues at my location, I do have a large cell tower across the street from me (approx 100 meters). I received this filter yesterday and did a before and after signal strength and quality comparison. It definitely helped on some stations. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was reading this thread the other day and even though I wasn't having any reception issues at my location, I do have a large cell tower across the street from me (approx 100 meters). I received this filter yesterday and did a before and after signal strength and quality comparison. It definitely helped on some stations. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
No problem. The situation has changed due to the TV frequencies changing and antennas still picking up the old and adjacent frequencies.

These filters don't work for everyone and it can be difficult to ascertain what the problem is, it's a trial and error thing. An inexpensive filter is a cheap thing to try and if it doesn't work - send it back to Amazon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I remembered CBS/CW RF36 had really strong signal before comparing to RF33 and RF34. However, it is the opposite now, RF33 is the strongest then RF34 then 36. I wonder if LTE frequencies is really interfering so much that it practically reduces the signal strength. Quality on these are around 100% but strength is 5% difference from RF33 and RF36 which pushes below 60% and into unreliability.
I currently have a CM7777 / Philips LTE filter with CM 8bay and a CM 4ch distribution amp. I am really surprise how unreliable RF34 and 36 have been since the LTE takeover.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
CBS/CW were transmitting from Grand island but now back to Colden south of Buffalo.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Both WIVB and WKBW are solid 24/7 and noticed no changes from before repack.Dont judge reception in summertime .

·
Registered
18 Posts
All the channels from 8 years ago still here just changed actual frequencies so a complete re scan required.Toronto has 7,Hamilton 3,Buffalo with GTA coverage 6.
I've only ever received 2 Hamilton channels here in Toronto. CHCH and CITS.

What's the third out of curiosity? If it's the CHCJ repeater of Barrie CTV2, I thought the current stubby tower they have it on is way too low to make it to Toronto proper. Do you receive it?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yes I am receiving CHCJ CTV2 just fine in Mississauga .They have returned to main transmitter at full power so signal should reach west end Toronto.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes I am receiving CHCJ CTV2 just fine in Mississauga .They have returned to main transmitter at full power so signal should reach west end Toronto.
Interesting. Good to know. I'm in North York by Finch and Bathurst and have never caught it even once. Where is the transmitter now? Is rabbitears accurate? It says I'm 1edge.

The only time I've ever caught anything on rf35 is when I got a station from Corning on really wild tropo.

Rabbitears also says I should get Star Ray ☠ but I've never got a hint of that either up here.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting. Good to know. I'm in North York by Finch and Bathurst and have never caught it even once. Where is the transmitter now? Is rabbitears accurate? It says I'm 1edge.

The only time I've ever caught anything on rf35 is when I got a station from Corning on really wild tropo.

Rabbitears also says I should get Star Ray ☠ but I've never got a hint of that either up here.
Rabbit ears is basically the only site that's updated regularly. 1 Edge means you are blocked once down the transmission line, making the signal weaker. It's just that much harder for you to receive due to that.

RF 32-36 can suffer from LTE issues as well. Sometimes just installing a $20-30 filter inline can fix some issues. But if you are blocked, not much getting around that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. I am ordering an LTE filter right now. Does it matter where in the line I install it (ie does it work better if it's plugged directly into the antenna) or as long as it's before the amplification it's fine?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yes the filter should go before Amp.I would think with 1 edge you would need to aim your antenna at Hamilton to receive CHCJ.I have LOS to CHCJ.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks. I am ordering an LTE filter right now. Does it matter where in the line I install it (ie does it work better if it's plugged directly into the antenna) or as long as it's before the amplification it's fine?
IN from Antenna to Filter, Filter OUT to amp or down-lead to TV.

The reasoning is that you want to cut off the offending frequencies right at the antenna so the amplifier doesn't amplify these. So you want them filtered before any amplification.

It's listed on the filter so it's pretty hard to screw it up.

If the filter does nothing for you, then you have another issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was looking at filters and noticed this one is on for $9.99cdn for prime members this week.

At that price it can't hurt right even if it's not as good as CM? The only negative review I've seen is it does cut into rf36

·
Registered
272 Posts
Was looking at filters and noticed this one is on for $9.99cdn for prime members this week.

At that price it can't hurt right even if it's not as good as CM? The only negative review I've seen is it does cut into rf36

View attachment 12210
Spend the extra dollars and purchase the Channel Master filter as it won't block out RF 36. I purchased 2 of them last week and they work great.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Spend the extra dollars and purchase the Channel Master filter as it won't block out RF 36. I purchased 2 of them last week and they work great.
Depending if they need RF36... a RabbitEars check would tell them what frequency their locals are. $20 savings would be worth it to me if I didn't have anything on R36 (which I don't).

I'd buy one but I'm not a Prime member. Seems like a steal if it actually works.

It's $14.95 if you don't have Prime... I find it interesting that it has a 3db insertion loss written right on it. Seems rather large if you have a smaller, non-amplified antenna.

3201 - 3220 of 3244 Posts