Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3161 - 3180 of 3181 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Your issue was not caused by wireless operators.
Just like an amateur radio operator can't just tune a transceiver to a wireless frequency and Push to Talk on a cell tower's frequency,
Wireless operators can't just plug in any old random frequency from dc to daylight and tune, just not physically possible and just doesn't work that way...
Here is a list of possible frequencies they might use for various technologies...
A generic world wide list, so your local area would be a much smaller subset of that... eg zero in on North America and you will not find any that land in the TV frequencies.
LTE frequency band

Click on LTE for LTE frequencies, UMTS for Wideband CDMA, and NR for 5G frequencies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Folks, this is a theory based on observation. People in the north and east ends of GTA reported problems with WNED, RF43. Being in the east end, I too noticed problems with WNED and more interestingly upper UHF channels on the CN tower. A check of RF35 (ie 599MHz) showed a very strong signal of a type I have never seen before. Now 5G has been allocated 614MHz, (ie RF35) and above and this is why the channel repack is moving OTA channels away from the 600MHz before 5G interference destroys it. It's not a big leap to speculate somebody was testing a 5G transmitter and causing trouble.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
RF 35 is centered at 599MHz, not 614 MHz.

The Canadian 600MHz Wireless Auction was only completed in April.
Whoever won whatever 600 MHz chunks were for sale in Canada, won't
be using it until the TV spectrum is cleared, and Canada hasn't cleared the
600 MHz TV spectrum yet. Canada is typically 2 years or more behind the US
when it comes to these things.
In the New TV channel plan, RF 36 is going to be the highest UHF TV channel, and RF 37
remains unused, reserved for Astronomy purposes, and the new 600 MHz wireless blocks
will start at 617 MHz correct?
So why would a Canadian wireless operator ever be testing on a TV channel 35, a frequency
that would not even be supported?
And what does that have to do with RF 43 which is at 647 MHz, not 614 MHz
Your logic makes absolutely no sense to me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
@asteroids, you are wrong on many issues.

1. 5G will be allowed on rf38 and above (614MHz and up), no phone services use these frequencies yet.
2. Just because someone else experiences issues doesn't mean it's the broadcasters fault, this is a problem many see in late fall early winter as Lake Ontario bleeds off it's heat and throws a wall of dense moist air in the path of the radio signal.
3. Atmospheric conditions are the main reason channels appear and disappear for no plausible reason especially when a broadcaster states there has been no change in their status. If you bothered to read WNED's reply you'd see they mentioned the term "atmospheric".

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
WNED missing again

Hi guys, I'm new to this discussion, I live in Pickering, which is just east of Scarborough, but I experienced, and am experiencing again, the loss of WNED just like several of the members above. I think it disappeared again earlier this week sometime. Anyone else going through this again?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in Hamilton and after having a lock on WNED for the past couple of years I have had lots of problems getting anything in the last month and no problems with FOX so it does seem that something is wrong besides tropospheric issues.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Overnight loss of most channels..tuner?

Using ota in the east wnd of toeonto i was getting around 15 - 20 channels for a couple years. Suddenly without changing anything I only get the 4 most powerful channels.

Do you think its the tuner? Firmware on my 2013 samsung is up to date and hasnt updated for a long time tho my tv does do frequwnt updates to the os.. i would actually like to upgrade the antenna but not sure of i need a new tv.

i have a cheap rca omni antenna which is mounted outside in good line of site to downtown. It has a cheap amplifier which also could be a problwm. Using the sofbal diagnoser on the tv i can see the amplifier adds 1 or 2 Dbs.

Thanks for any tips

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I would guess that the downlead coax cable is the problem. That or maybe the coax is good and the amplifier died. When the amplifier dies, or there is no DC power to the amplifier (due to defective coax / connectors), it essentially is like an open circuit to RF between your antenna and the downlead.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Make sure you have rescanned the channels, as a number of them have changed channels in the last few months.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dont forget to rescan for WNYO on Monday March 16 as they move to RF16 on an STA for reduced height and power for now.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Observations on the repack so far in my area:

WNED - at least as good (was always strong before) on RF31 vs RF43
WNYO - much better on RF16 vs RF49
WKBW - much worse on RF34 but I understand there's still some tower work to do so it should improve
WIVB/WNLO - much worse on RF36 but I understand there's still some tower work to do so it should improve
WUTV - at least as good (was always strong before) on RF32 vs RF14
WPXJ - much better on RF24 than the old RF23
CITS - no noticeable difference on RF14 vs RF36

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
This morning WNYO is on RF 16 only. No longer transmitting on RF 49. Its signal is at 32db SNR. At the moment the strongest signal out of Buffalo.

3161 - 3180 of 3181 Posts