Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3141 - 3160 of 3181 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
you need a channel master 7778 pre-amp which will satop strong channels like city tv from overloading and than you should be fine for pbs.i live less than a mile away from the chch tower in Hamilton and the channel master 7778 pre-amp stops chch from overloading so co channels will work

·
Registered
5 Posts
No changes here. 17-1,2,3 working great in downtown Toronto.
Check the easy stuff first. Lines get wet, things freeze. It's been windy too !
Might be a bad connection/preamp/splitter/distribution amp ect ...
Good luck Bro !

·
Registered
3 Posts
re Channel 17 gone

Can confirm Torontoboy's issues with Channel 17; I'm at Kennedy/Huntingwood and Ch 17 disappeared a few days ago. For the past 10 years, it's been at or near 100%, with only the occasional interruption. It's reading 0% right now. Something has changed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've also noticed WNED with a bit lower signal strength over the last month. Not sure if it's weather related or if they're preparing for the change to rf31 early next year, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@finster wow, you are so close! I'm at Birchmount/Finch.

Repoint, try, go back up on my roof, redirect, try, After much extra exercise going up to my roof I'm back to 168 degrees. Ch 17 often comes in at 1 bar, video broken, no sound.

Today, with freezing rain now and snow coming, I can still receive Ch2, 4, 49 and others from Buffalo. Today it was fighting to get through, 2 bars, still pixelated, no sound, but no success.

@orbot Is WNED preparing for a change to rf31? When is this planned? I cannot seem to find any info on this.

I have contacted WNED https://www.wned.org/about/contact-us/audience-services-contact-form/

Snow storm, 60kph wind,freezing rain snow mix, and I'm getting clear signals from Ch 2, 4, 23, 51 Ion, all from Buffalo, and even some WNED Ch 17 reception, better than before, but still unclear and unwatchable. There seems to be no effect from this snowstorm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TorontoBoy- watching the Ravens game on Fox- no issues; 2 and 4 are decent as well today; 17 a no-go at 10-20%; also- haven't seen ch 47 (comet etc) in ages either; the Toronto stns and the Buffalo stns (most anyway) are in the same general direction from my place; I tried a preamp some time ago, but I lost a lot of reception because (as I understand) the Toronto stns will overpower the weaker ones? If that's the case, I may be out of options to reel in a powered-down 17.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
No change in Strength or SNR on WNED noted here for months.
The SNR here south of Buffalo is 34 dB on WNED.
If your having issue, suspect is on your end.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Um, you live in their intended broadcast area. The FCC would have a problem if they failed to live up to their license in that regard. Those of us up here have been benefiting from their omnidirectional broadcast. I’m guessing it has been made more unidirectional for their transition; we can only hope that changes as they complete their move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Today WNED 17 is suddenly at 4 bars, clear, with great sound, as it has been for years before. I don't understand why. It was not anything I did. There's some mysterious hand out there that wants me to watch PBS!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The engineering staff! If they can’t be seen by Canadian Eyes, Canadian funding would dry up and affect their operating budget/jobs.
They’re approaching completion on their transition, obviously. I think the rabbitears website lists the stations by phase and date...you should look that up if you still care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Can't imagine whats been going on with WNED? The SNR hasn't changed. Its been around 32db forever. No problems with reception at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I lost 7.1 17.1 and 49.1 over two weeks ago after having received consistent reception for years. All other Buffalo stations are coming in strong as usual.

Wrote WNED and they never replied. But tonight finally and suddenly got them all back. Something was up for sure but nobody's talking. Likely on the same transmission tower (Grand Island?) with mechanical issues.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
No, all 3 are on different towers, many miles apart from each other.
And have no relation to each other. If your having an issue, is on your end.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also wrote WNED a note, describing the issues I am having, but have not received a reply. Perhaps their reply was to restore our WNED Ch 17 signal to what it has been for years, but this is very subtle communication.

If 4-5 of us are having the very same problem of unwatchable WNED, starting 2 weeks ago, and all 5 of us have simultaneously had their WNED Ch 17 signal restored to full strength yesterday, as it had been for years, then I doubt that all 5 of us are having the same mechanical issues at our houses. This is clearly a WNED Ch 17 system problem.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I lost 7.1 17.1 and 49.1 over two weeks ago after having received consistent reception for years.
Again, none of these three stations have any direct relation to each other.
Many miles apart from each other and you are outside of their reception area,
of course your issue is on your end.

·
Registered
39 Posts
WNED Ch 17 Reply to my inquiry:
We hope you have our signal back. Evidently there has been some atmospheric interferences in your area. We have reports that this has cleared up and you should be able to get our signal again.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

KL – Viewer Services

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been in contact with WNED and we have a theory why Toronto is having problems. The current suspicion is that a wireless carrier is testing out 5G equipment and its bleeding. My guess is that someone is testing at the CN tower and didn't noticed or cared that he killed UHF reception for the GTA. This would explain why WNED, CITY, etc... were degraded and have now recovered. If you look at RF35, 599MHZ, with a spectrum analyzer, you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Why would a 5G signal interfere with the UHF band?
As I mentened in a prevoius post, WNED was fine and everything else off the CN tower was also not affected. The next time you suspect that anyone is causing issues you could notify Industry Canada and have them verify the cause.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not really knowledgeable about 5G, but this article mentions that G5 may use part of UHF. It is very odd that WNED Ch 17 would all of a sudden bounce from zero to 4 bars, at the same time, for 5 of us.

Another part of the radio spectrum that’s being used for 5G, is UHF, which is lower on the spectrum than EHF. The UHF band has a frequency range of 300 MHz to 3 GHz, and is used for everything from TV broadcasting and GPS to Wi-Fi, cordless phones, and Bluetooth.
If there was a carrier testing 5G that may explain a lot.

3141 - 3160 of 3181 Posts