Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1721 - 1740 of 1749 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
If your setup is only getting WBBZ in flakey, there's no way I'm getting it indoors.

I take it you have the multiple antennas going in tandem? I bought a (GE branded, Jasco manufactured) diplexer a while ago to try two separate indoor antennas (the Terk and some ancient cheap one I had lying around) and it seems like one of them wasn't working at all. What do you use?

·
Registered
88 Posts
@DarksideDan ,

Yeah, TVFool is overly optimistic for WBBZ's coverage; I don't think it accounts for VHF interference.

My setup is a little more complicated, I run dual tuners into a dedicated HTPC:

(Buffalo) Tuner 1 <---LNA200 preamp <---C2V
(Toronto/Hamilton) Tuner 2 <---UHF Antenna (4221 Clone)--->UHF VHF Joiner/Diplexer<---CM 3410 preamp<---FM Trap<---Clearstream5

You can't gang different antennas the way you tried to do, won't work. Not only do the antennas have to be the exact same, precisely aimed so as to not cancel each other out, but cable lengths matter, and there's some black magic involved. Indoors it's almost impossible due to multipath and reflected signals arriving out of phase.

What I would do is first see if you can get your hands on a DB8e (from a store with a good return policy) and a good overload resistant preamp like the Clearstream Juice or Winegard LNA100 or even the CM3410 distribution amplifier, and TEMPORARILY set it up outdoors aimed at WPXJ/WBXZ to see if it's even possible to receive these at your location.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I went the extreme measures route for my setup because ION was always a must have for me, more now especially since my GF moved in. It's the go-to when nothing else is on. WBXZ was a bonus and I was shooting for WBBZ for H&I .

One of these days all the time and money I spent on my setup will pay for itself :rolleyes:

There are a couple of side benefits to upgrading and testing though. Long term reception reliability is a major plus. On a regular day, anyone can pull in 30+ channels here but when it really counts, like recording different shows from different markets at the same time during poor conditions, having that extra fade margin and stability is invaluable.

There's also the dxing fun factor and the experimenting if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for Indoor antenaa recommendations???

I live in Midtown Toronto in the 7th floor of a condominium.

I am looking to install an indoor antenna, and after researching online and Amazon best sellers I am totally confused.

Some of the models I am considering are:

Mohu Leaf+

Channel Master CM 3000HD SMARTenna

Winegard FlatWave Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna (FL5500A)

Antennas Direct Clearstream ECLIPSE Amplified TV Antenna

1byone Digital Amplified Indoor HD TV Antenna

After much reading I am still confused by all the specs and choices.

I am also somewhat leery of Amazon rankings.

Any input on recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You from a first time poster.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=903808ac97ecec

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I live in Midtown Toronto in the 7th floor of a condominium.

I am looking to install an indoor antenna, and after researching online and Amazon best sellers I am totally confused.

Any input on recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TV Fool
Hello, cold-canuck; welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the TVFool signal report.

Indoor reception can be difficult. The signals that you receive will depend upon where you are located in the building and the building construction. You must be prepared to do some trial and error experiments to see what will work for you. Try to buy an antenna that can be returned if it doesn't work.

Your signals are very strong outside the building but weaker inside. You probably will not need an amplified antenna, but an amp could be added

https://i.imgur.com/xfbz7a9.jpg

I see a tall building at that location. If you are on the south side of that building, your chances are good. If you are on the north side of that building, it will be more difficult because the signals are coming from the south. If you are in the shorter building just north of the tall building at 88, reception will be even more difficult.

Try different locations in your apartment.

Most of your channels are on UHF, but CFTO is on real channel 8 now I think, so you will need an antenna for UHF and VHF-High (7-13).

I am also somewhat leery of Amazon rankings.
So am I.

The antenna that first comes to mind is the Antennas Direct C2V. It is being replaced by the C2MAX, but the C2MAX doesn't have a reflector to block multipath reflections that are common with indoor reception. If you get the C2MAX you might need to add the accessory reflector.

This report for comparison is from rabbitears.info; it should have a more accurate list of channels:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=22831

an extract from that report:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The antenna that first comes to mind is the Antennas Direct C2V.
Thanks for your detailed response. It's nice to know that I should be able to pull in quite a few stations from here.

The unit I had seen by same company ClearStream ECLIPSE® Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna, has an amplifier built in.

In your opinion is the C2V a better indoor unit without the amplifier?

I can source both units locally and price is very similar.

Thanks for your feedback

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
The unit I had seen by same company ClearStream ECLIPSE® Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna, has an amplifier built in.
I wish that I could give you a precise answer, but I can't because of so many variables that can affect the signals. My crystal ball isn't that good.

The ClearStream ECLIPSE® Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna is a very good antenna, but it might not be ideal for you. Since you have a VHF channel, the ClearStream Flex might be a better choice for you. It's rectangular instead of circular which allows room for the VHF element to be added to the UHF element.

Both antennas come with a 20 dB in-line amplifier. If you have a south-facing window, you might have a direct view of the CN tower that is only 4.7 miles away, so you wouldn't need the amp unless your windows have low-E glass which will block TV signals. If you are on the north side of the building, the signals would have to come through the building to reach your antenna, so you might need the in-line amp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmml28jeTYY

In your opinion is the C2V a better indoor unit without the amplifier?
The C2V without an amp is better than the ClearStream ECLIPSE without an amp because it has the VHF dipole added as indicated by the "V" and a reflector to block multipath reflections.

Since you seem to favor flat antennas, try the Flex.
https://store.antennasdirect.com/clearstream-flex-amplified-sure-grip-indoor-hdtv-antenna.html

There is also a wall frame version of the Flex:
https://store.antennasdirect.com/ClearStream-VIEW-Amplified-Indoor-Picture-Frame-HDTV-Antenna-with-Collage-Mat-and-USB-Cable.html

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey there, cold-canuck... I'm not too far from you (on Bayview south of Davisville), living on the third floor of a small apartment building. My living room window faces west, and I've had a Terk HDTVa antenna for many years now. It's very directional -- turning it 5 degrees really makes a difference with some Buffalo stations -- and to not overload it with CBC and TVO, I point it at an angle to the CN Tower.

Like rabbit73 says, the reception you get really depends on what direction you face, and in that part of town you also have to worry about reflections off buildings for multipath interference. For both of us, the direction towards Buffalo is only a few degrees off the direction of Buffalo, so point it at Buffalo and you'll pick every Toronto station up. CFTO comes in pretty strong, and it's the only notable VHF station in the area (I don't think you're going to be able to ever get WBBZ with an indoor antenna here), so you should mostly be fine on the VHF side of things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks again.

I didn't realize that the eclipse was only a 1 frequency antenna.

I don't really have a preference to a flat antenna just was thinking of placement in a condo, and if I need to place by window I think 30" inches won't fit. :(

I think I will most likely try your initial suggestion as I have found one that is reduced in price due to missing outdoor mounting hardware which I don't require.

Also amazon has a generous 30 day return in case I want to try the flat option.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I didn't realize that the eclipse was only a 1 frequency antenna.
It is designed for UHF, but can pick up very strong VHF channels.
I don't really have a preference to a flat antenna just was thinking of placement in a condo, and if I need to place by window I think 30" inches won't fit. :(
Oh, OK. I use an indoor antenna that is on the ground floor with trees in the signal path. My signals aren't quite as strong as yours but the building penetration loss is low. I don't need a preamp.
TV Fool

I use a GE 34792 antenna:

A more rugged version is the GE 29884. Both GE antennas require assembly.

After testing the 29884, I started to put it away, but my wife said: "Don't put it away yet, I like the curve of the reflector."

·
Registered
5 Posts
LOL it is kind of decorative.

I measured and if I can face it South Westish I can fit the 2V next to windows. Looking at above perhaps doesn't even have to be as close to window as I am so close to the transmitters anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there, cold-canuck... I'm not too far from you (on Bayview south of Davisville), living on the third floor of a small apartment building...
That's great thanks for chiming in. I have a southwest view and if I wanted the larger antenna it would need to face southwestish. Glad to hear I don't have to point exactly south. Been a long long time since I used rabbit ears lol so forgot how it all works

Is your terk amplified?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, it's the amplified one; the HDTVa is amplified, but the HDTVi isn't.

It's great that you have a southwest-facing window. Should be great for picking up all those Buffalo signals sailing across the lake. My west-facing window is decent, and I feel like I pick up Buffalo by finding a sweet spot for various channels, but if this window faced south instead it'd be much bettter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toronto Bloor & Mt. Pleasant condo - no reception

Hi there,

I'm helping a friend set up an RCA ANT1650F indoor amplified antenna on a Samsung LN-T2342H TV. My friend is in a condo near Bloor & Mount Pleasant facing west. I've tried positioning the antenna many different ways near the window, including putting it on the balcony. I've also tried it with and without the amplifier. The TV is set for Antenna input, not cable (but I even tried both just in case).

No matter what I do, the only channel we can get is CFTO-DT, channel 9.1. According to TVFool, I should be getting eight channels or more, which I would expect in downtown Toronto, even with a small indoor antenna: TV Fool

How is this possible? The only thing I can think of is the surrounding buildings might be blocking the signals. Interestingly, CFTO-DT is the only VHF channel on the list. Could this be a clue as to the problem?

Hoping someone here can provide some help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I'm helping a friend set up an RCA ANT1650F indoor amplified antenna on a Samsung LN-T2342H TV. My friend is in a condo near Bloor & Mount Pleasant facing west.

No matter what I do, the only channel we can get is CFTO-DT, channel 9.1.

The only thing I can think of is the surrounding buildings might be blocking the signals.
Hello, Helping_hand; welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the signal report. Here is a report from rabbitears.info which should be more up to date:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=36445

This is an extract from that report:

The signals are very strong outside in the clear, but they will be weaker inside. It is possible that the signals are being blocked by other buildings. The condo faces west, but the signals are coming from the south.

What floor is the condo on?

You have made some good tests trying different locations for the antenna and with and without preamp. It's also good that you made sure to scan for ANTENNA channels; if you scanned for cable channels you might only get 9.1 which is on real channel 8. Channels 2-13 are the same for antenna and cable; 14 and up are different.

There is one other possibility, which is overload from very strong signals. The only thing I can think of is to try an attenuator to make the signals weaker; you already tried the preamp to make them stronger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Rabbit73 - that's very helpful. The condo is on the 10th floor, so I'm guessing around 120 ft. or so from the ground.

One combination I haven't tried yet is putting the antenna on the balcony without the amp attached. Will try that the next time I'm over; although, with our climate at this time of year, keeping the balcony door open a crack is not really practical for more than a few minutes at a time :)

I'm also going to try updating the TV's firmware (an update is available on Samsung's web site), though I doubt this will make any difference.

1721 - 1740 of 1749 Posts