Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1681 - 1700 of 1749 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
BOUVAL, thx for your recommendation - is the antenna u recommended light enuf for me to hang it on the wall indoors ? i am not allowed to place ANYTHING outdoors and have a bedroom in the basement near king/dufferin in toronto, w/ 1 small window facing west - but that window has an a/c unit installed in it in it spring/summer/fall

thx again !

·
Registered
556 Posts
Walmart is pretty good about returns. Be very careful to open the box very carefully, bearing in mind that you might have to pack the antenna back into it and make it look like it can be re-sold. Buy some packing tape.

The Walmart antenna looks like a nice antenna. The Costco antenna looks pretty good. Read the reviews. Be prepared for disappointment with any antenna.

You must have insurance from a Mexican insurance company if you take you car to Mexico. You may or may not need an international drivers license.

Mexico Travel Tips And Advice. For Driving And Touring Mexico. Travel And Tour Pictures, Photos, Information, Images, & Reviews.

Car Insurance in Mexico | DMV.org

·
Registered
136 Posts
i found a friend that bought the costco antenna for me and i will post my results - remember i am currently in toronto near king/dufferin in a basement unit w. 1 small window facing west that has an a/c unit in it during the warm months

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am interested in an OTA antenna, the one suggested in previous post sounds great.

Is there a company of some sort or person who could mount it outside (chimney, side of house?) in the GTA area?

·
Super Moderator
56,456 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,456 Posts
I am interested in an OTA antenna, the one suggested in previous post sounds great.

Is there a company of some sort or person who could mount it outside (chimney, side of house?) in the GTA area?
Please read the following welcome thread which includes (links to) information regarding installers, etc. Also, after reading the welcome thread, post your TVFool report in your next post so that people can help you properly.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/125161-***-welcome-new-members-read-these-ota-forum-instructions-before-posting-***.html

·
Registered
136 Posts
Because those posts were off-topic for this thread, discussing things like auto insurance, etc. In future, if you have questions about moderating on this forum, please use the help forum here, so that you don't take existing threads off topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/9-digitalhome-help-desk/
are posts of the costco antenna being tested about 40 miles south of san diego ok ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
understood - i just though that if i am migrating from toronto to the san diego area [back and forth], it might prove useful for others to know how that very same antenna worked way across the continent as well as toronto

·
Registered
136 Posts
Macspectrum,

The antenna you found is too flimsy , you should go with this one https://www.costco.ca/Digiwave-ANT2086-Super-HD-ATSC-Off-Air-Antenna.product.100160293.html
here are my results of channel scan with the costco antenna i received today
antenna was not raised up off the floor
just leaned it against the fire door going out to outside - facing west

5 cblt 720p
9 cfto 1080i
11 chch 1080i
19 tvo 1080i
25 cblft 720p
36 cits 1080i
40 cjmt 1080i
41 ciii 1080i
41-2 ciii 480i
47 cfmt 1080i
57 city 1080i

i have yet to raise up the antenna off the floor and affix it to wall
signal strength varies and changes

so far so good !!!! better than $60/mth !

·
Registered
136 Posts
in my current situation of living in the basement of a row house with 1 small window facing due west , near king/dufferin in toronto
is this about the best i can expect ?

no u.s. stations ?

i used the long coax cabe from a previous rogers installation - few metal staples did pierce the older cable
would a newer, shorter coax cable help ? - there is $1 dollar store up the street

again, i am not concerned by looks - function over form in this case

as always, thx in advance for suggestions / comments

this is what i bought
https://www.costco.ca/Digiwave-ANT2086-Super-HD-ATSC-Off-Air-Antenna.product.100160293.html

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Macspectrum,

I'm glad to read that. Your antenna can be hung about a foot from the ceiling for a better reception and you may even get some channels from Buffalo.

You cannot use a pre-amplifier being too close to the CN Tower.

We were writing at the same time :)

Get a new 15 foot RG6 coax cable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i haven't started to try to raise/hang the antenna as its about 5 lbs and my walls are all plaster
gotta see if a hammer and nail do the trick

i know if i raise up the antenna by hand i do get more consistent reception
i don't think i have the physical strength to hold up the antenna by hand while i do a channel scan

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good News

Sheet Rock aka plaster board has been commonly used in construction since the 1950's. A plasterer using lath and plaster is an art and is expensive compared to just nailing up 4x8 sheets of sheet rock.

I assume your ceiling is not concrete. I suggest that you do not use nails unless you know for sure where the the floor joists above the ceiling of your apartment are located. Pounding nails into just sheet rock to support anything will eventually fail.

Suspend the antenna use two toggle bolts. Drill a pilot hole to install each toggle bolt. Attach thin rope (from the $ store) to each bolt. Using two points will keep the antenna from twisting.

When you move, be sure to remove the toggle bolts and patch the holes or your landlord may charge you to repair the holes.

I am surprised that you get so many local channels. USA channels would be very unlikely.

Using Toggle Bolts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IuNkiiqhO4

1681 - 1700 of 1749 Posts