Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1661 - 1680 of 1749 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
thx for your reply

i have to keep the antenna indoors - i asked my landlord again 2 days ago and he said i can have anything IN MY ROOM

that being said, i am a single guy - no wife nor kids - so 'ugliness doesn't really bother me

"Note that a UHF 4-bay bowtie antenna is about 3' high and about 1.5' wide and about 6" deep. "
that is pretty big for me bedroom but if it lets me see hd channels i am all for it
need to find a store that will let me return the antenna if it doesn't work

"Antennas Direct ClearStream Eclipse" from BB
sold with or without 'amplifier' - what does that do ?

i do read that reflectors may help - is that true ? and what does a reflector do ?

as for my results last time time, that was over a yr ago so i do not recall the details as to which channels or which antennas
i am pretty sure one of the stations i received was CFTO

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
The Eclipse is a small UHF loop antenna with less gain than a 4-bay UHF bowtie antenna. I have no idea if the signals in your apartment are strong enough for it to work, which is why I picked the 4-bay.

An antenna between the two is the Antennas Direct C2V.

You will have signals reflected in all directions in your apartment, but no direct signals. A reflector on an antenna will increase the gain of the antenna and will block multipath reflections coming from the rear that might cause interference.

At my present location I am using a GE 34792 Attic Antenna indoors on the ground floor with good results. It is inexpensive, but requires assembly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYucg3JXzA

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Make some tests in stages. First try a 4-bay UHF antenna; it already comes with a reflector. It might look something like this, for example:

If you get good reception, you're done; enjoy.

If you get no signals, or a few weak ones, add a preamp.

·
Registered
558 Posts
An antenna has a Driven Element(s) which is the "real" antenna that feeds your TV. A reflector acts just as the name implies, it reflects signal to the back of the driven element(s). The driven element(s) should point at the TV station with the reflector at the rear. Usually the reflector(s) is wider or bigger than the driven elements. Think of a satellite antenna that has a round or oval reflector at the rear and an LNB little block (driven element) mounted in front of it.

Reflectors do help and are of many designs. A corner reflector looks like < to a driven element -
<- to the TV station

i do read that reflectors may help - is that true ? and what does a reflector do ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
@macspectrum, I'd highly recommend visiting Save and Replay and grabbing an AD C2V, mounting it on a floorlamp post or something and moving around your apartment scanning.

Although I have a better location than you, I'm aiming it south east, through concrete walls, and an adjacent apartment with furniture and on a downward angle. I found a porthole in my kitchen above my stove that allows me reception as far as Syracuse in tropo. I've tried almost every antenna on the chart, the beam width and small size along with it's reflector allows pinpoint tuning indoors. Aiming out my window, or even mounting outdoors is useless for me.

I don't have the VHF version, and thus cant get WBBZ stable, but pull in WPXJ and WDTB along with other channels I have no business pulling in 24/7.

Try aiming away from the CN Tower. I'm 15 km away but have LOS and have had to use an intentionally crippled second junk antenna and a splitter to attenuate Toronto signals because of overload.

It's right in your price range, small, and easy to experiment with. Save and Replay has a generous return policy and will help you out till you find something that works. Get them to make you a 25 foot cable (or just long enough to reach every area in your apartment you want to test) to eliminate the chance of using a bad cable. Cheap enough.

I'm almost certain an amplifier will not help you, so start without one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Portal, Not Porthole. I derped, lol. It's just a weird convergence of reflected signals in a really weird corner. Only the C2V precisely aimed in that very spot gives me WPXJ, Global Peterborough and a few others perfectly stable. If I so much as fart though, NY disappears.

·
Registered
136 Posts
HD antennas at walmart ?

i found that walmart will take back items with full refund and will ship to me at no charge -

i found this;
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/electronicmaster-digital-tv-antenna/6000118749965

what do u all think ?

the rest of their antennas can be found here;
https://www.walmart.ca/en/electronics/tv-home-theatre/cables-adapters/digital-antennas/N-1549

any recommendations? i still think an outdoor unit that i can install indoors is my best bet

also, i'd like to go to mexico 45 miles south of san diego for the winter and take my antenna with me, if possible as i have my own hd tv - i have a big SUV to go back and forth

thx ! :devil

1661 - 1680 of 1749 Posts