Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1749 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yaamon,

I am at the Cityplace condos at Front and Spadina. There is one condo complex to the southwest of me and I am pointing my antenna towards it (I believe I am getting a reflected signal). The signals with the 4221 are generally in the 29 to 32 dB range. The signals with the Terk are generally 1 or 2 dB lower for any given channel. I can post specific values when I get home from work. I am not using a preamp with either antenna.

I need to experiment some more with antenna placement.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Oh I forgot yes I remember now. :)

If you dont have a clear south view then try and reposition yout antenna so that your reflected signal is stable.

You may find that one or two Buffalo stations wont get any better.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yonge and Eglinton

Hey,

Before I was aware of this forum on OTA results in the GTA, I pulled up the licenses granted to Canadian stations to broadcast a digital HD signal OTA. I found some interesting facts and figures I thought I would share with the group.

CBC comes in really easily because they broadcast a signal of about 36,000 watts off the CN Tower

CTV is second best at 17,400 watts off the CN Tower

Omni 1 and 2 is allowed to broadcast at a power of 15,000 watts off of First Canadian Place on channels 44 and 64 respectively. I don't know if they are 'on-air' yet, because I don't get their signal.

Global is on channel 65 register to broadcast at only 3,000 watts off the CN Tower. I e-mailed them to ask about their service, and they said they are working on providing a HD signal OTA soon.

City is the most surprising. They are registered to broadcast at a power of only 600 watts! Only a lucky few can get their signals if they live next to the CN Tower.

I live at Yonge and Eglinton and use a Nexxtech antenna from The Source. Only problem I had was that I have a north-facing apartment, so I pointed my antenna at the large apartment building across the street to receive signals bouncing off the building.

Hope this is useful information to some.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Sensfan25 said:
Before I was aware of this forum on OTA results in the GTA, I pulled up the licenses granted to Canadian stations to broadcast a digital HD signal OTA. I found some interesting facts and figures I thought I would share with the group.
Welcome here, Sensfan25. With a handle like that in downtown Toronto I take it you like to live dangerously! :D

Please be sure to read through all the posts in the READ THIS BEFORE POSTING... thread in this forum to get a rapid view of what we've been up to here in the OTA Forum for the last few years, including very detailed analysis and discussion of OTA broadcasting in Toronto.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey Sensfan25 -- In Markham, I'm able to easily pick up CITY, SUN, CBC, CTV with my external 4228 in addition to the Buffalo channels. The OMNIs (all Rogers) are on Rogers cable, so is Global.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yonge/Eglinton - Expectations too high?

Hey all, I think I've read every post in these OTA forums 3x over the past few months. I've recently set up a Home Theatre PC, and had that working beautifully for the past while. I just got a DTV tuner card and a RAdio Shack 1880 indoor antenna (yes, I know, indoor sucks, but no options here). I'm on the ground floor at Yonge/Eglinton, facing south (no line of sight to the CN Tower, but I don't have any buildings in front of me either). Looking at other people here, it seems like people in the city have no problem receiving Toronto stations, but I can't get anything. When I do a signal strength test on the PC, I can sometimes see CBC jump to 20%, but that's it.

Is this something you'd expect? I figured I would get at least something, but no luck. The other option is that the card is broken, but it works fine, and does show some signal every so often in the signal meter utility that came with it.

I'm not necesarily looking for suggestions, more a validation that this is expected or not...

Thanks,
t.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Suggestion

If you have taller building in front of you might have a problem. Are you trying to point the antenna towards the Cn tower ?

See if you can move the antenna to the window and see if you are able to get Cbc ? :)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Its hard to believe that the signal is so poor when you are so close to the CN Tower, unless there is something in the building's superstructure that is shielding your specific area. You might need to get someone to come over and do a few tests there with equipment that is known to work. This will determine if your tuner card is okay, and it will answer a lot of other questions too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Etobicoke - ground floor facing south

I'm new to this forum. I have a Sanyo digital set with an indoor amplified set of rabbit ears from Radio Shack (or whatever it's called now). I'm in a basement apartment in an apartment building in Etobicoke, with bushes outside the window.To further describe my location, my building faces south and has two wings on either side which block my view to the East and to the west.
And directly across the street is an 18 storey apartment building. I have one window facing south, and one facing the west wing of the building. OK, not a very nice view.But I get just about all of the Buffalo stations if I put my antenna in the south window, and if I use the wall of the building's west wing as a "mirror" to reflect the CN Tower signals back to me, I get all of the CN tower channels.

Of course, with my antenna at ground level, every time a bus goes by my signal drops to zero.

StupidHead said:
I'm not necesarily looking for suggestions, more a validation that this is expected or not...
Stupidhead, you haven't said anything about your antenna positioning. You will likely get a lot stronger signal near a window, as a lot of building materials can dampen signal. Same thing goes for cellphones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Near Front and Spadina Facing North

Hello...

I live right in downtown...about 1 block north of DarrenT.....

I face North only.....Holiday Inn in front of me....no view of CN tower...

I have a chance to buy either
a. Funai ATSC/HDTV Receiver with Indoor Antenna - Silver/Black Model: 69000DKU
b. Samsung - Over-the-Air Digital TV Receiver w/DVI-HDCP Output SIR-T451

Because I live so close to the tower.......what should I go for....?

thanks....

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
ggjr my opinion I would go with the Samsung 451. I currently own and use this tuner on one of my tv setups and have no problems with it.

Funai I do not have any experience with that unit and never heard of that brand.

Hopefully another board member currently ownes a Funai and can give their views.

Good luck.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I did not know that Funai has an ATSC STB on the market either, but it doesn't surprise me. Funai is a huge Chinese consumer electronics company, and when you buy stuff here in Canada under a wide variety of product names its likely built by Funai, who went around the globe and licensed as many of those familiar old brand names as they could get (such as Sylvania, Simplicity, for example).

Where did you buy that Funai unit? Best Buy carries it in the US:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7259245&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03022&id=1117178265456

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't purchased it yet.....but that is where I plan to buy it....

I have a huge amount of money on a Best BUy US card from my work as a bonus........enough to buy another 42"HDTV....but my wife doesn;'t want another so I am looking at different options.....

Funai....has the antenna....just wondering how it would work here....in downtown TO

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
ggjr said:
...has the antenna....just wondering how it would work here....in downtown TO
Purely a guess, but almost all enclosed antennas these days are clones of the Zenith Silver Sensor so I'm thinking that's probably what's enclosed in the package.

·
Registered
35 Posts
stampeder said:
Purely a guess, but almost all enclosed antennas these days are clones of the Zenith Silver Sensor so I'm thinking that's probably what's enclosed in the package.

Is that a good thing?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
ggjr said:
Is that a good thing?
I rate the Zenith Silver Sensor as one of the best indoor antennas, but that doesn't mean I'm endorsing indoor antennas! ;) I'm guessing you would be getting a clone of it.

You can read about it in other threads in the OTA Forum, so we'll return this thread back to Results discussions.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Jarvis and Wellesley

I have a condo near Jarvis and Wellesley and face north and west. We don't spend much time there so did not want to subscribe to cable. I thought I could get at least a few Toronto stations for the news etc., but I found that the multipath was so severe that absolutely nothing was watchable. A few weeks ago we bought a HP 2600N with a digital tuner and, although I was not too hopeful about getting much, we can get all the Toronto stations and even some of the Buffalo ones! (PBS is a little flaky, but it sometimes comes in fine.) I have no balcony, and am using a Philips silver sensor (purchased through Dell!) So in all, I am very happy!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting reception problem Downtown

Hello everyone,
I have been having some interesting reception problems in Toronto.

I am on the 16th floor South Facing very a few km from CN tower
http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img86325hd.jpg

I am able to pick up the Toronto HDTV stations great (>91%)

What is interesting is that the only non-Toronto channel I get is a channel from (TBN) Jamestown (27-1) which is over 100 mi away. I am using an ATI HDTV Wonder PC Card with the supplied Silver Sensor clone antenna.

My problem is that I cannot seem to get any signal from any buffalo stations which are much closer even after trying a recommended preamp, and moving the supplied antenna around a lot. It is weird because I can get a stable signal from Jamestown. but I can only get a trace of signal (4-8%) from any buffalo or rochester stations.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank You in advance :) ,
Oleksa

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Olemang the reason why you seem to get (TBN) Jamestown (27-1) is that station is almost dead south of the Cn tower looking on a map within 5 to 7'.

To get Grand Island and the Buffalo stations from your location that is a good 20 to 30' more east of the Cn Tower.

East of the crane and the about where the close building to your left is located.

Try and move the antenna towards the window or if you have a balconly to the edge.

Ps: Lots of people dont really understand how a preamp works. If your cable run is short I presume no more than 15' no preamp will help. Preamp on a small antenna does not make a small antenna act like a larger antenna, it's used to help prevent signal loss from excessive cable runs.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yaamon,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
I have tried pointing the antenna in that direction, with the antenna on the balcony, and indoors close to the window and get only a blip of signal (4-8%) when trying 14-1 (fox). I have tried all other Buffalo stations, while trying pointing it in that general direction as well, to no avail.

Could it be possible the cluster of downtown highrise buildings is blocking the reception? or could I possibly just need a different antenna?

Thanks again,
Oleksa

81 - 100 of 1749 Posts