Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 1749 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

Just an update, but for some reason my receiver came alive.

I picked up the following signals

CBLT 5-1 (94% signal strength)
WNLO 23-3 SD, and HD WIVB simulcast on 23-1 (83%)
CBLFT-D 25-1 (85%)
CITY-HD 53-1 (93%)
CKXT-DT 66-1 (90%)

using an indoor antenna (The RS 150-1880). I picked up CBLT and CBLFT using a bowtie antenna.

I'm happy, considering I live in a valley, live in a bungalow and have 40 feet trees around me. My antenna was directed SSE.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
BillyK scan again to see if you can get CFTO. Since City and Sun both with weakers signals than CFTO.

If you are in a dip and can get those with a indoor antenna then with a outdoor there is no reason why you would not get more stations.

Try and small antenna like the 4221.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yaamon,

I placed the indoor antenna on a bookcase top.

I was able to get

29-1,2,3 Fox WUTV - 84% signal strength
7-1 ABC WKBW - 82% signal strength

Odd, I still can't pick up the higher signal CFTO and PBS. I notice that my receiver when scanning, will pause at RF 40 / CFTO at 94%, and 43 /PBS (83%). But it doesn't recognize the channels.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the 4221. It will certainly help with the SAF/WAF compared with the 4228.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
If you are getting such strong signals from Cfto and Pbs it might be a id issue with your receiver. What are you using for a tuner ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Motorola DSR-550 (formerly Voom box), with 8VSB module. I was also getting a strong signal from WUTV, but had to adjust reception before it recognized the channel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Front and Spadina - Am I too close to the CN Tower?

Hi,

I am considering getting OTA reception equipment but I am wondering if I am too close to the CN Tower to get the Canadian stations? I have a condo at the Cityplace buildings at Front and Spadina and the antennae on the CN Tower are probably more further away from me vertically than horizontally -- I'm that close. Is the transmission pattern of the HDTV broadcasts from the CN Tower shaped in any way to prevent the signals from being received from such a close location to the CN Tower?

Although the frequencies are much different, I can catch the radio stations that are being broadcast from the CN Tower, even down to the 4th level of the underground parking garage, without much issue. I am hoping that the radio reception is a good indication of what I can get for HDTV reception.

Thanks,
Darren

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
DarrenT, since you're almost underneath the CN Tower its conceivable that a 20 inch loop of stripped coax would give you perfect reception on any UHF channel coming from above, but if you try using an antenna to get Buffalo or Canadian channels outside Toronto you'll probably overload your tuner with the powerful ambient signals.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Hi Darren,

You'll probably get good reception of digital channels from CN Tower with any indoor anatenna. You'll get so much multipath that analog channels will look awful, probably unuseable, please let us know what you get.
If you have a south veiw, you'd still get buffalo stations with a good antenna.

The CN tower antennas push power out, not down, so you won't have enough signal to hurt your tuner. FM antennas at the lowest so you'd be swampped with FM signals.
I'd suggest using a VHF/UHF band-pass splitter, terminate the VHF and use the UHF only to your ATSC tuner.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
DarrenT you might have problems with a indoor antenna unless you are facing the right direction west for Cn Tower.

I have a friend that lives in the same condo as you his window and balcony faces south Iam pretty sure he is on the 21st floor or higher. He balcony is maybe 80' west of the skydome.

So his south view is not blocked.

Sold him a 4221 and he put it outside his balcony against his wall and gets all the Buffalo stations strong 9 to 10 and got only 2 stations from the Cn Tower.

He was having problems with the Toronto locals and I told him move the antenna to the edge of the balcony as the signals from the Cn tower will tend to go down being so close, plus the over hang of the concrete floors above would hamper the signals.

He scanned again and got them except Sun.

With the Cn tower being so high the signal has to go almost straight down and compared to a person that lives further away. The concrete over hang and walls will block the signal.

I gave him the little silver arrow antenna that came with my ati card and I told him to mount it on his balcony and combine them with the 4221 that is inside.

He moved the 4221 inside his condo and signal strength from Buffalo remained the same. :)

Goof luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. To test things out, I ordered the DVICO FusionHDTV5 USB Gold tuner. My condo is on the corner of the building so I have a complete north and west view and, due to the orientation of the building, a partial south view. I do not have a direct view of the CN Tower but I have a larger condo building to the west that I may be able to use to reflect the CN Tower signals to me. I'll post my results when I get the equipment.

Thanks again for the responses and suggestions!

--Darren

·
Registered
10 Posts
i also have the motorola dsr550 (voom) receiever. I can't seem to get Ctv (40) of Abc... i get everything else except these 2 channels. With ctv i have signal strength of 99% i am wondering if there is a conflict with my receiver?> Has anyone else experienced this with the voom receiver?

·
Registered
12 Posts
nabate,

I am having the same problem with my voom box picking up CFTO (RF 40). Another fellow DHC'er is also having the same problem.

* edit -> I am able to pick up ABC also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
north york jane and wilson

bill k where abouts are youlocated i can't seem to get the ABC in my part of town. I'm in north york jane and wilson area. Also not being bale to pick up the ctv is annying i believe its a setting with the box something conflicting with it not coming in. Any help anyone would help.. Please advise. nick

·
Registered
12 Posts
nabate,

I agree it's annoying that we can't pick up CFTO with the Motorola.. Unfortunately I don't think we can get around it unless CFTO changes something in its signal.

I'm at Leslie / Finch, and the highest signal value for ABC I get is 89 with a channel master 4221 that I picked up from Yaamon. I have it pointed SSE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Downtown T.O. 2nd-floor-apartment dweller

Hi folks. I am new to this site, and aside from a bit of googling I still really know only a little about all this HDTV stuff. I'm getting an HD-ready TV set on Friday (Toshiba 26HF85C), mainly to watch anamorphic-enhanced DVDs. But if I am able to get some over-the-air channels with good reception, it might be worth it to get a set-top ATSC tuner as well.

Here's the catch -- I live in downtown Toronto, near Yonge/College, on the 2nd floor of an apt. bldg., basically surrounded on many sides by tallish buildings. Facing north-west.

Sounds bad, right? BUT... here's what gives me hope -- if I go outside on my balcony, and peek around the corner, I have a direct line-of-sight to the CN Tower. I can see the top 'half' or so of the tower totally unobstructed. I only think this might be relevant because I have read others mention line-of-sight to the CN Tower -- is that where the HD broadcast transmitters are?

Would it be helpful if I were to somehow mount an outdoor antenna on the outside wall of my apartment building, facing south-west to the CN Tower? What kind of reception could I expect? Would I get any U.S. stations, or just Canadian? Are such drastic steps necessary?

I'm planning to get the following indoor antenna in any case, since I have to get an aerial for regular ol' NTSC signals (The Source (formerly Radio Shack) 15-1880):

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Indoor+Antennas&product=1501880

(I don't want cable at this time.) At such future time that I get an ATSC tuner, would the above antenna allow me to get HDTV channels, considering my circumstances as outlined above?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S., check out the major errors on the CBC site re. HDTV:

http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv/qanda_purchased.html

'HD ready' is defined completely incorrectly. I clicked their 'feedback' link to let them know their mistake. Please consider doing the same.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
ineffable27, to pick up where we left off over at Remotecentral, the 15-1880 is the indoor antenna which I mentioned in the thread that you posted there which I have used for indoor reception, with extremly good results out in Thornhill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OTA Results: Downtown Toronto by Front and Spadina

Using a Terk HDTVi indoor antenna that is placed on my balcony, I am able to receive all of the Canadian stations and all of the Buffalo stations except WB and CBS. Reception strength is anywhere from 23 dB to 32 dB depending on the station.

Since the Terk is not an outdoor antenna, I picked up a Channel Master 4221 from Yaamon. Channel scans give me the same channels as with the Terk but generally with stronger signal strenghts. However, I find that the video and audio stutter quite a bit on all of the channels.

I believe that the FM and VHF signals from the 4221 are overloading my tuner so I am going to try adding a highpass filter to attenuate the frequences below channel 14. Considering that the stuttering is occuring on both the Canadian and Buffalo stations, I am assuming that I am not suffering from multipath issues -- would you guys say that my assumption is correct? If not, what are the signs and symptoms of an overloaded tuner vs. multipath problems?

Thanks,
Darren

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
DarrenT I have never encountered that type of problem that you have described.

Where are you lcoated again, are there condos to your left and right of your south view ?

What is your signal compared to the terk at 23-32db?

I forgot if you are using a preamp if you are you may need to buy some attenuators. If you have pilexation and have strong signals then I would say you might have too much signal but I have never encountered that from just using a antenna with no preamp.

61 - 80 of 1749 Posts