Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1749 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Peter, glad you got it partially working. Lets keep this topic on OTA and your reception. If you are discussing PC issues please take it out of the OTA Forum. cheers, stampeder

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

I've been doing some more experimenting today, basically moving the ATI antenna to different spots and positions in the room and doing a rescan.

So far the scans have noticed the Canadian Networks only and (although identified) I have not gotten a picture from CTV. My research indicates that CTV started their OTA HD broadcast in the GTA and BC in Aug.

My Rogers HD box tells me that the first HD broadcast for CTV today (Sat Oct 29/05) will be The Sopranos at 10:00PM. Aside from CBC who are using OUR money I'm guessing that since all these networks still have to do multicasting which might be a drain on their transmitters some might choose not to fire up their HD transmitter unless their about to broadcast in HD or I have a Location/Equipment issue.

In anycase I cannot report rock-solid (no dropout) reception yet but am encouraged. If there are any interested parties attempting HD OTA reception under the same handicaps (low to ground, no outdoor antenna possibilitys except for perhaps discrete balcony) please chime in.

I'm not sure where the ATI product sits in the minds of those of you who have been at this for a while but unless told otherwise I'll assume that location, location, location, is paramount unless your kit enables you to report to NORAD on the side.

In anycase I'm probably going to try and record some HD pretty soon so any pointers in that regard would help. If I remember correctly signal droputs caused previous ATI software to shutdown. If this also happens using other OTA decoders please direct me to where that is discussed.

Peter M.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
peter m. wilson said:
I'm guessing that since all these networks still have to do multicasting which might be a drain on their transmitters some might choose not to fire up their HD transmitter unless their about to broadcast in HD...
I wasn't aware that CFTO-DT was doing multicasting. I'm pretty sure its single channel DTV 24 hours a day. I do know that their PSIP data has been behaving awfully strange, and there's a thread about it in the OTA Forum that you should look through if you haven't already.

Yaamon has already given you an expectation of what you should be getting in your location, so I don't think there's much left to discuss about that - either you should be getting all the T.O. stations or there is something wrong with your gear. I think you should be focussing on a possible bug in the ATI hardware/software, and there is also a thread for that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

Sorry, mabee I used the wrong phrase. I was just suggesting that CTV does alot of broadcasting and the pipe is only so thick. That said, I was thinking out load that they might not flip on the HD transmitter unless theres something in HD to transmit. Then again if your receiving a signal from their HD feed constantly the problem is at my end.

Stampeder, there's lots of talk about rez squishing over cable due to still having to broadcast in analog which is what I meant.

Peter M.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
You'll find that CFTO has separate analog and digital broadcast transmitters, and they're not tied to eachother. This is the nature of the DTV switchover no matter which station, network, or city - the analogs will keep running as is even after the digitals are up so that there is overlap for consumers before changing everything to digital. You'll find some great reading here in the OTA Forum about digital broadcasting so that you have a clear background of the concepts. Check out the Understanding OTA DTV Broadcasting Technology in Canada thread:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=25774

In your case the only issue seems to be that ATI card.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yonge and St. Clair: advice needed on first OTA setup

I'm 200 ft up at Yonge and St. Clair with an unobstructed view of downtown, lake, and Buffalo.

What would my best/easiest antenna setup be (getting the BEV 9200)?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
At 200' elevation your view is clear as you said, you can try one of those Silver Sensor antenna that should work.

The Source by Circuit City/Radio Shack sells a antenna 15-1880 I think for $40.00. That should also work.

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
GTA Queen and Carlaw: 4 channels...

. indoor by a 3rd storey window near queen and carlaw, north exposure
. built in ATSC tuner of the TV:
. using a samsung TV5.4 antenna (silver sensor)

5-1 CBLT-DT
9-1 CFTO-DT
25-1 CBLFT-D
40-1
40-2
53-1 CITYHD
66-1 CKXT-DT

. all come in at least above 70% except for CITYHD which comes in well below 50%
. 40-1 and 40-2 have strong signal but no apparent broadcast

any comments on how i might be able to improve the number of channels which i recieve?

·
Registered
257 Posts
dutty.mark3 said:
...any comments on how i might be able to improve the number of channels which i recieve?
Your antenna needs to face S.S.E. and probably will have to be an outdoor antenna. All you are getting is Toronto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm getting a few at Yonge and Bloor

I wouldn't give up too easily.

I'm near Yonge and Bloor, with a west and a north exposure, and oddly enough, get far better reception from Buffalo in the rooms facing north. This could be because this exposure is shielded from the CN Tower and all of it's powerful transmitters, less than 4 km to the south-west. Whatever the reason, it is working.

I have a Samsung TV with an integrated ATSC tuner and an indoor amplified antenna on my window ledge- a Jensen TV930 (claims up to 45 db gain) that I got on College St a year ago for about $20.

I'm getting the following reliably:
WGRZ-DT 2-1, 2-2
CBLT 5-1
CFTO 9-1
WNLO 23-3 SD, and HD WIVB simulcast on 23-1
CBLFT-D 25-1
WUTV-DT 29-1
WNED-DT 43-1, 43-2, 43-3
CITY-HD 53-1
CKXT-DT 66-1

less reliably, but still, most of the time:
WKBW-DT 7-1

rarely:
WIVB 4-1, 4-3

and not at all:
WNYO-DT

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Not to worry Jimmyjj, the ATSC standard does not allow interference like what you thought might be happening from CN Tower stations. Any reception issues from the Buffalo stations are caused by reflections of the signals that is called multipathing, and its only because they aren't finding a direct path to your antenna because of your northwards view.

Did your antenna's manufacturer actually claim 45 dB gain from an indoor antenna?!!! :D That's a hoot! I have one of the biggest outdoor VHF/FM antennas ever made, the Channel Master Quantum 1111, and with its preamp belly-pack in place it gets about 35dB gain, which is collosal, so I'm not sure what that gain figure is that you saw... 45dB is enough to blow the lid off a fire hydrant... :D

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Jimmyjj is there any tall buildings north of you ?

Having a tall buildings north of you will allow you to get reflected signals from Buffalo as they are coming from a southern direction.

Anyway ways great that you are able to pull in so many stations. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok guys, I've got some answers:

I was just looking, and the manufacturer does not make the 45db claim, but some retailers are (like here)
That said, I am happy with it. When I crank up the amplifier, Buffalo shows up.

I'm on the 11th floor, and there are larger buildings to the north. So reflection must be helping.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Being on the 11th floor makes a huge difference. You overcome a lot of issues. The problem with fringe or long distance TV is height. The higher -- the better.

The reason you are getting Buffalo is the mulitpath refelctions off the buildings to your north. With digital signal -- you don't see the ghosting that you would normally see with analog signals. In fact, if you could receive an actual signal from channel 2 (analog) it would be very ghosty (if at all), while 2-1 (actually 33) comes in clear.

The same would apply to the other channels.

·
Registered
79 Posts
GTA Highrise Facing South with Zenith ZHDTV1 antenna

Hello,

I have a new HDTV with a built in ATSC tuner and an old pair of rabbit ear antenna hooked up which gets five HDTV stations (CBC,CTV,CBS(2),SUN). I read that the zhdtv1 is the best for urban areas in the vicintity of transmission towers. I live downtown Toronto on the 20th floor of a condo with line of sight to CN tower facing south about a few km away.

Can somebody tell me how many extra channels I can expect to pick up with this antenna and where I can get it in the GTA or web who ships to Canada?

I would realy like to get global and citytv in HD. From what I read there are about 22 HD channels available in the GTA.

Thanks

P.S. I searched the all forums for zhdtv and only came up with this one thread where the poster was told to search :confused:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/search.php?searchid=496720

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
synmag, I've moved your post. Try searching this forum and you should find lots of information about what channels to expect and discussions about the Silver sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
synmag said:
I would really like to get global and citytv in HD. From what I read there are about 22 HD channels available in the GTA.
[/url]
I'd question where you have heard the 22 channels inside the GTA. If you got that from Bell or Rogers, I'll have to chuckle

In the GTA I think there are 4 channels currently. And from what I've read you are getting all of them with the rabbit ears that you have. Currently, Global is not transmitting OTA. For that matter, neither is Omni, CH, CTS, VR and most of the other local channels. I have spoken with most of them and have been told that they plan to do something in 2006, but until the signal hits the air, I wouldn't hold my breath.

In the US, it is mandated that they start to transmit. I'd hate to have to say it though, a set of rabbit ears might not cut it. You might get the PBS as they send out a pretty strong signal, but if you read some of the other postings in this forum, you are going to need a bit bigger and probably external antenna to get a decent signal. I don't know if putting a Channel Master 4228 on an outside south facing balcony will help..

I know that there are multiple posts about Condo towers and what works around here. I think that it would be well worth the time to spend several days reading first, rather than getting something that might not improve your situation at all.

Welcome to the fun of OTA. Best wishes.

mjm

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Thanks Hugh and mjm70, very well put.

While there are plenty of OTA stations (hence the 22 number?) on the air in the GTA, synmag has to be aware that only a small few are broadcasting in HD from the CN Tower at this point, but that Buffalo has several others.

I'll close this thread and let the original poster get up to speed here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
10 miles North of CN Tower with indoor antenna

It sounds like most of you guys live out in the sticks, but for someone who lives in downtown Toronto about 10miles or less from CN Tower with an indoor antenna could I pick up a lot?

21 - 40 of 1749 Posts