Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1021 - 1036 of 1036 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Brightonian
I will look into purchasing a rotor and a better antenna. I enjoyed making the antenna and seeing my results. It's a bit hilly where I live and the houses around me are close together. I need to get above them. On another note I built the same antenna for my son who lives in the Grafton area and he and his wife are quite excited about their results. My son asked me if there was something illegal in this. I said no....that's the way I used to watch TV as a kid living up north....snowy TV reception hockey games. I would like to learn more technical information about the tv signal analysis report in particular about the NM(dB) and Pwr (dBm). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should i get an attic antenna or not bother

hello, a couple months ago i purchased an indoor antenna, i hooked it up and found i had two channels chex 12 (12.1) and global 27 (27.1) ..i haven't had actually tv stations for a few years so this really made me happy and was really pleased with how good the picture was not at all like remember from 35 years ago ...ahh that's digital got to love it.

so now i get to wondering what about putting an antenna on the roof landlord says no, but go ahead and try the attic if you want even shows me were it would be best to run cables... ok great

my interest had sent me to the internet trying to figure out what kind of antenna to purchase or build after quite a few hours of watching you tube videos and reading about antenna builds the gray hoverman brought me to this site which then led me to tvfool so i went there and was disappointed by the result TV Fool

postal code in case link doesn't work k9j 2g7

so as the title says should i get an attic antenna or not bother

attic is at least 30 ft higher then ground
rotor not wanted ...tv would have to rescan channels every time it moved
chex is no longer cbc it is now ctv , cfto is also ctv so would pretty much be the same

any info i should supply, not looking for any specific channels but more would be nice if its even possible

·
Registered
78 Posts
@blue beard:

My attic setup gets me pretty much the same as it would if my antennas were on the roof. I run two ChannelMaster antennas (a CM 4228 and a CM 4221), the big one for my far away (US) channels and the smaller one for the Canadian ones. No rotor, they are permanently mounted to the roof support beams and facing the direction of the towers. The two antennas are coupled by a reverse 2-way splitter and then the splitter is connected (by a short run of coax) to a good quality and low noise, coax-powered amplifier (Kitztech KT-200). Kudos to the DigitalHome forum members for steering me in the right direction the first time! ;)

I get 25 channels with this setup and no signal loss issues, whereas my previous "indoor antenna" on top of the TV (in living room) barely got 3 with iffy reception, if that is any indicator. The attic setup is about 30 feet off the ground too in my case, although my house appears to be standing on higher ground than the rest (can't hurt... antenna height is your friend, lol!).

Remember, what your roof is made of is truly paramount to your results: if it's made out of wood and tar shingles, then you're golden... if the roof is made of metal, then you're screwed. Metal tends to reflect those signals almost completely.

Good luck!

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you ChannelSeeker ...i figured someone would move post i couldn't figure where to put it ..now it makes total sense

wow 25 channels i could only dream, i took a quick look at the tv fool report for Vaudreuil-Dorian QC it look better than mine, from what parts i understand at least. i guess my city Peterborough ON is in a valley or something.

if i new 100% i would get two more networks with a solid signal i would probably put a channelmaster up there,

just a regular shingled roof but there is a church about 150m away (schoolyard and parking lot between me and the church) that might effect signals from toronto

Thanks again

·
Registered
2 Posts
NNE of Lindsay, ON on Sturgeon Lake

TV Fool

I did the online tv maps and set the antenna to 30 ft. right now is an old antenna with an old signal booster. I usually get chex and another station sometimes 1 or 2.

Should I replace the antenna? and with what? Thanks so much
:smile

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sounds like you have a VHF antenna. With a combo VHF UHF antenna you should be able to add CFTO to the mix easily. Though CHEX and CFTO both show CTV programming now, so it might not be worth the effort. With a good rooftop setup you might be able to add CIII 27 to the mix to get Global or firm up CKVR for CTV2, though that is in a completely different direction.

Check Stampeder's antenna list for a large VHF/UHF combo antenna to put on the roof. Then decide if the cost is worth it to squeeze out 1 or 2 new Canadian signals. Your TVFool is pretty bleak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am moving into a new apt. at the end of this month. To keep my expenses lower, I am getting internet and I want to buy an indoor antenna to pick up the local station 12.1 Peterborough and if I get TVO that would be a bonus. What indoor antenna do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Welcome, Pete Flynn:

We need to see your tvfool report to know what kind of signals you will have at your new location. You can do it here:
TV Fool

Can you give us a rough idea where you will be located and what floor your apartment will be on?

If your apartment is in the center of Peterboro near City Hall and Confederation Square your report would look like this:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb584986325c

CHEX CBC 12.1 is very strong there, but CICA TVO doesn't look possible. The signals at the actual apartment location can be very different.

Without any further information, my very wild guess is that an Antennas Direct C2V would be suitable, but don't buy anything yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
TV Fool

When looking at the report and the channels listed by Noise Margin, is there a value you would consider channels greater than to be reliable? In other words, if I was to get an antenna made for those living 75+ miles away from the transmitters (one I seen claimed to be 32dB - not sure it it was dBi or dBm, but lets say dBm for arguments sake), then considered -3dBm for line loss, would I have any reliable chance of getting channels in the -20dB noise margin range or would you think that CJOH-TV at -5.7 nm would be the most to hope for reliably?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey MarkfromRead,

Dave here from Anteco - stumbled upon this post (and although now somewhat old), was wondering what you ended up doing? Do you still have the preamp installed or did you switch to one of the CM's?

Regards,
-Dave

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I hope I'm in the right thread here. Since the repack has completed I can no longer receive WNYO channel 49 RF16. I'm assuming this is an interference problem from an adjacent channel...maybe Global TO RF17?. Although my antenna is pointed at the transmitters south of Buffalo the other Grand Island stations come in fine.
thx

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
OTown WNYO moved from south tower area to Grand Island with a directional transmitter south.They are definitely weaker than before to the North.Check the rabbitears site and search on map for your location.Unless your in GTA its nothing to do with Global on RF 17.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Otown WNYO signal shows very weak about 14db lower than WUTV on rabbitears for Newcastle.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
rob50312, I don't know when WNYO moved. My comments on this station are for the last few weeks. Mid June it used to come in okay.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
WNYO is on WUTV tower .They were using a temp antenna until permanent antenna mounting in July.I am not having any issues but signal strength varies sometimes,as if they are working on it.Maybe wait until there done with their antenna work.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Otown looking at WNYO directional patterns on rabbitears ,the temp antenna is sending you 40KW your way.While the permanent antenna will only sent you 15KW..Compare to WUTV 1000KW Omni.

1021 - 1036 of 1036 Posts