Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

961 - 980 of 990 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good like trying to get TVO out in Prince Edward. I have suggested to them in the past that they should use ch. 16 - where CJOH 6 was slated to move to.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
No mention on current power output on that transmitter.

I have no idea yet. Will have to try and tune them in next chance and see what I see.
re: CTV CJOH 6 Analog Deseronto

Video / picture is still unwatchable in Kingston, due, likely, to much reduced power output, still, I am guessing, on that Deseronto transmitter.
The noise overpowers the Video signal in Kingston cause it is just likely so very weak, compared to the past, and the distance.

Audio - is still weak too, and one hears the noise crackles overpowering the audio signal. However, there is an improvement, I think, due to the FEED improvements mentioned to me. It is much more "understandable" / "intelligible" now. No dropouts. No loud buzzes. No loud clicks pops. Just background noise up near the signal level. Still weak. At least can LISTEN to news audio now.

Hoping the power will be increased to levels like before. not holding breath. May follow up with feedback.

At least FEED may be clean now. Will see.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
OTA TV - Eastern Ontario - in DECLINE / RETREAT (not advancing)

OTA - TV - Over the Air TV - in Eastern Ontario - by conventional antenna ...

Is in DECLINE. Is in RETREAT. It is *NOT* advancing. It is *NOT* improving.

It is a poor situation currently. And getting worse. Not improving.

We have long time Broadcasters who are saying they are going to Shut down transmitters. [ CTV CJOH 6 analog Deseronto. July 2020 shutdown ? ]

We have Broadcasters that are having great technical difficulties, and long long delays with repairs / maintenance, just keeping up transmitting like they have in the past.

[ CTV CJOH 6 Analog Deseronto Ontario transmitter. Months with audio and video troubles. And much reduced power ... it seems to me to be fairly obvious, just trying to watch and tune in their signal in Kingston - which for decades has been very strong and receivable in Kingston. ]

[ CTV CHOH 6 Analog Deseronto - extended / long term troubles with FEED.

[ TVO - TV Ontario - Belleville Ontario. ch 26 channel conflict with WPBS Watertown after their channel change. Slow to convert. Low power now till mid march. Not easily received in Kingston. Now going to ch 22 - conflict with WXXI pbs out of Rochester across the Lake Ontario. Creating reception issues for some. ]
[ No CBC TV - ota - in Kingston and Region. CKWS 11 conversion to full Global ]

We have Broadcasters who do not wish to convert to digital ATSC (CTV Deseronto - still analog / shutting down in theory) nor willing therefore, nor able since not converting to digital, to OFFER the same Sub Channels as available in other regions. ex. CTV one / CTV two on a subchannel available in Ottawa and elsewhere probably. But NOT in Kingston and region, no ATSC digital conversion, and subchannels therefore not even possible .... for a large enough market - Eastern Ontario - Belleville, Kingston, Gananoque, Brockville even. Prince Edward County - Picton, Wellington et all "in the County" (Prince Edward County). Rural areas and towns north of there.
Cottage country. [ my opinion ].

We have Broadcasters that say they are DECREASING power outputs ... either planned, or due to technical issues and frequency conflicts or possibly "other reasons" ... I suspect. I suspect they are slowly "GOING DARK" to test the waters and ease the transition to "NOT BROADCASTING" at all / anymore.

Poor situation - Generally - Overall. I think the evidence is all there - in the Region.

I think needs action.

Perhaps we need to move to another Platform. FTA - FREE TO AIR SATELLITE ? For national Broadcasters?
[ doesn't AUSTRALIA do that ? ... silly CANADIAN BROADCASTERS may need to look at Australia for possible national broadcast strategy. We have a large nation ... and they have been shutting all OTA transmitters for some time now ... re CBC - nationally . ]

I encourage discussion.

[ They don't wanna broadcast. They claim everyone's moving to other "platforms". I did read some other stuff online. ]

Might be time to check out FTA satellite. Or other "options".

I hate to have to STREAM via the internet. Why should I have to have internet service / subscriptions, various "boxes" and subscriptions or a computer ... just to hear the national or provincial broadcasters ? ? ?.

Come on ... Canadian Broadcasters and Regulators ... we need a better solution than what is going on right now, here in CANADA.

I am NOT IMPRESSED . Come on ... CANADA... wow me. impress me ... make it happen .

·
Registered
468 Posts
I see TVO has a posting now on their website about Belleville transmitter changing to rf22 between feb 18 and 29.
This is VERY disappointing for me. WXXI PBS Rochester with its 4 channels is about to disappear. I’ve been watching this channel since I was a child. Very sad indeed.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I don't know your exact location, but looking at a generic report for Brighton shows TVO weaker than WXXI.
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=56216

Theory says you need WXXI to be at least 16 dB stronger than TVO to avoid co-channel interference. I wonder if a very directional Yagi with good F/R, aimed at WXXI, would give you that?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wxxi comes in here consistently although signal isn’t very strong. Tvo comes in at about the same strength as Wxxi while my cm4228 is pointing at WXXI. So it does not seem promising.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Wxxi comes in here consistently although signal isn’t very strong. Tvo comes in at about the same strength as Wxxi while my cm4228 is pointing at WXXI. So it does not seem promising.
Oh, how unfortunate. That would mean TVO is stronger than WXXI at your location.

The location that I used for the generic Brighton report was at the intersection of Main St/County2Rd and Prince Edward St. That location shows a hill in the signal path:

There are antennas that have a better F/R than a bowtie antenna, like a Yagi with a corner reflector:

or like this channel 22 Yagi with a horizontal co-planar loop driven element:

or an LPDA:

There is also a technique called stagger-stacking of two identical antennas to increase the rear rejection.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
However, the excellent rear rejection shown in the model isn't always realized in the real world because there can be reflections of the undesired signal from objects in front of the antenna.

At a previous location I had a 4221 antenna aimed south and a preamp on the south side of the building. Channel 42 was coming from the NW and it was fairly strong, but the tuner couldn't decode it because there was no direct signal, only reflections from objects in front of the antenna.

I went across the street and setup a 2-bay UHF antenna, my meter, and a preamp. I was able to get a nice scan and a stronger signal with the antenna aimed at the transmitter for CH42.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
If the multipath reflections are still causing a problem, it is sometimes necessary to restrict the acceptance angle of the antenna to no more than needed for reception of the desired signal.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I live right on the shore of Lake Ontario. Clear shot to both transmitters. I’m hoping a new antenna comes out designed and tuned to new spectrum. Hopefully with more gain and directivity. Because if I can null out tvo just a bit better I might be in luck. In the summer stations from across the lake are so strong that I won’t have a problem with Wxxi, however it is going to cause unreliable reception of tvo right within its own contours.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Don't get your hopes up too high about an antenna for 14-36. No manufacturer is going to rescale it unless they think they can make a profit on it. Antennas Direct was the only manufacturer to redesign any antennas for 14-51.

I am not able to comment any further on your future signals because you haven't posted a signal report.

Good luck with your post-Repack antenna experiments.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Happened to Check CJOH -6 (Deseronto Tower) last night. The viewing quality is back. Not sure when they fixed it as I gave up checking.
I shot CJOH a note saying thanks about it being viewable again. And only if they would transition the tower to digital rather than shutting it down.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Ya, I confirm, good news, hopefully ...

I noticed CTV CJOH TV ch 6 Deseronto Ontario transmitter, Analog, back up and viewable from Kingston early morning Fri Feb 14 2020.

( i.e. the typical snowy / little bit wavy Analog TV signal on ch 6 Analog NTSC signal - that we've had for decades, back again - but viewable and listenable again )

It went up and down a few times, in the few days after Feb 14 ... as I monitored, but seems up and running, stable and regular now. We'll see ... I continue to monitor.

They must have fixed whatever transmitter issues they had, and brought it up to NORMAL POWER again.

So - Transmitter signal FEED ISSUES fixed (they told me), and I am guessing Transmitter "other" issues fixed as well, and brought back up to FULL / Regular analog transmit power again ( I can only GUESS - by reception results from my receive antenna and setup in Kingston )

No idea how long this signal will be back up - but good news for the whole region - for who watches by antenna.

I also have replied back to CRTC on my "reference number" and to the Bell Media VP - who wrote to me ...
"Thanks ... the signal seems to be back up again and viewable like before, in Kingston"

and said again / writing back to the Bell Media VP:

"Thanks, The whole region probably thanks you as well, and I wish to express my desire and wishes again,
could Bell Media please re-consider the shut down of this transmitter this summer ? Please consider to keep it
up and running - for the region. Why not convert it to Digital ATSC, and give us CTV TWO on a subchannel as well - just like Ottawa has ? The region and your sponsors [advertisers] would probably like that ... ]

Ditto for that other transmitter that serves the region farther east from us ... is it the CTV Cornwall Ontario ch 9 transmitter ? ? ?

So that is very interesting.

Have faith OTA TV viewers / listeners ... if you step up and advocate / write to the regulators and the broadcast companies - they might just listen, and take action.

At least let them know, with reception reports - that they are "off the air" or have bad transmissions.

Get involved ... write. Sometimes helps. May have positive results.

[ Now I am just wondering if those things will EVER happen ... will they re-consider and keep it running ? convert it to digital ? ]

[ and will TVO - TV Ontario, 26, going to ch 22 in Belleville ... come back on in mid March 2020...and will they and the
regulators, "see the light", and instead, long term, find a free uhf channel in the region, rather than conflict with 22 WXXI pbs Rochester, across the lake ? ? ? ]

Write write write ... advocate advocate advocate ... you may have some "effect" .

·
Registered
44 Posts
TVO is back on the air today on RF 22. They were working on the antenna yesterday and today.
Brightonian: I hope you are still able to pick up WXXI.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Brightonian have you tried aiming your antenna towards Buffalo.WNED shows some coverage and is repacking Mar 13th with a little more power on RF 31.All the Buffalo stations have much higher towers than Rochestor.

961 - 980 of 990 Posts