Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

921 - 940 of 990 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had send a number of replies on the weekend over my phone, but none show here. So I will write them again!

First of all , thank you so much for the help. It had been very frustrating that small little monoprice digital antenna's had been bringing in PBS before they quit, then could never seem to get it back with other antenna's . PBS is really the only station I watch, all the others are at best ok :)

Couple questions, If I buy two of your suggested antennas, pointing one to Ottawa towers and one to PBS tower, would I put the preamp before the splitter to the two antenna's, or after it to preamp both signals? Also I have been using a basic interior splitter to combine the two antenna coax, I've had a few fail after some time outside, is there a better on I can get? Thinking I may also rewire the coax as my cables are fairly old.

Thanks again for all the above info!

Bill

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
If your coax cables are old, they may not be low-loss RG-6, so it miught be a good idea to replace them.

It shouldon't hurt to put the preamp on the WNPI antenna only. This will eq

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts

It had been very frustrating that small little monoprice digital antenna's had been bringing in PBS before they quit, then could never seem to get it back with other antenna's.
Reception will vary from day to day with weak signals. Tropospheric Propagation will help make the weaker signals stronger in the Fall, but when the cold weather comes, they are not as strong.

Couple questions, If I buy two of your suggested antennas, pointing one to Ottawa towers and one to PBS tower, would I put the preamp before the splitter to the two antenna's, or after it to preamp both signals?
Do not buy two Solid Signal HDB91X antennas. It is suitable for WNPI PBS because it has more gain and a narrow beamwidth to reject adjacent channel interference, but it is not suitable for the channels from the north. You need an antenna with a wider beamwidth for those channels like your ANT2084 for the spread from 343 to 23 degrees.

I asked you before how well does the ANT2084 do when receiving the channels from the North (without being combined with the other antenna), but you didn't answer me.
Also I have been using a basic interior splitter to combine the two antenna coax,
I didn't know you were doing that; it doesn't always work. When the same signals from the two antennas reach the combining point, they will interfere with each other if they are not in phase (arrive at the same instant). If you don't have all the channels when the two antennas are combined that you had when they were separate, then combining with a splitter in reverse doesn't work for you.

Please try the ANT2084 alone (not combined) with the channels from the North, without a preamp.

Next, try the HDB91X antenna alone (not combined) aimed at WNPI for PBS. If you can't get WNPI with the HDB91X, then add a preamp just for the WNPI antenna.

If both antenna get what you want when they are separate, then we will talk about combining.

I've had a few fail after some time outside, is there a better on I can get?
Most ordinary splitters are pretty much alike, and they shouldn't fail that soon. You might not need a splitter outside if you can get the separate antennas to work.
Thinking I may also rewire the coax as my cables are fairly old.
Yes, it would be a good idea to use new coax for the tests, and it could be a temporary run for the tests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did answer about the existing antenna, but it didn't post, anyway.. Yes the ANT2084 is picking up all signals to the north of me! I have just ordered the HDB91X antenna, titan 2 preamp and 3 runs of coax. Should have it in Feb 1, then weather depending I'll follow your instructions above and get back to you. Just as it seemed to get warmer, we are having sideways snow right now brrr!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Good; thank you for the answer. That solves 1/3 of the problem
titan 2 preamp
Which Titan 2; the Medium gain 7778 or the High gain 7777? The link I gave was for the 7778.

The second part is to be able to receive WNPI.

The third part is to get the signals from both antennas to the TVs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi There, it has been a cold spring so I just got the antenna up yesterday. OMG I need to buy Rabbit73 a beer! The whole idea was to get back my pbs watertown station. I installed the antenna with booster, also added a booster to my existing antenna, and now instead of just getting the 18.1 to 18.4 PBS I also get two more PBS from Platesburg , Fox and ABC and much stronger signals from Ottawa. I've gone from 14 channels always coming in and pothers iffy, to 28 channels all perfect! I'm very happy! and very glad I posted my issue back in January! Again thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Madoc OTA - getting started...

I was spoiled in my 19th floor condo in Toronto - dozens of OTA's with a 4-bay channelmaster.

Wondering what I'll get here... 10km South of Madoc. Elevation about 180m. I am likely to get a tower for stringing up some shortwave/mediumwave.longwave antennas - might as well top it with OTA gear and a rotor...

Anyone know what I might get? Rochester? Other US networks?

Also, anyone recommend an antenna installer in the Belleville/Madoc area?

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
I notice TVFool is listing WWNY at channel 8 rather than 7. (See above postings)
It still shows up on my TV scanner at 7 here in Kingston. It's been harder to find for the last year or so, as if they turned down the power.
I'm using a sophisticated coat hanger DB4 antenna made for the cost of a balun, so I need all the dBs I can get!

·
Registered
51 Posts
CJOH

Haven’t been on here in ages but was wondering about CTV options now CKWS is Global. Is Deseronto CJOH digital HD now or is it still analog. Not sure if I can can receive Ottawa from the Kingston area

·
Registered
44 Posts
Now that WPBS in Watertown has moved to Real 26, I have lost TVO from the Belleville tower and WPBS.
TVO should have moved to 22 in July, but didn't. I searched but can't find any info if it will be moving in the future or not. Anybody know the status?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shortly after WPBS moved, I sent a note to TVO asking when they were going to change channels. At that time they told me it would be around the end of September, which is anytime now. Haven't seen anything saying they will do so shortly, so we probably shouldn't be holding our breath waiting for it to happen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TVO Belleville

Just got this reply from Kingsley at TVO

... In the Belleville area, we have not yet moved to a new over-the-air channel. However, about two weeks ago we had to reduce the power of our signal, thus allowing WPBS to be received strongly.
Ultimately, TVO will be moving to Channel 22 in your region once our technical work is complete. We will be installing a new full powered antenna before the end of this year. However, I cannot offer a set date as to when that work will be completed at this time....

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is bad news for me. I was really hoping they were going for another option rather than 22.
With WXXI on the same frequency it will cause issues for TVO especially in summer.
For me WXXI is mostly reliable although weak (still operating at lower power and height), so I imagine this move will maker it no longer reliable. Very sad indeed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - this is my first post so I’ll try to keep it short...

I’m located about SSE of smiths falls towards camp fortune and on a higher point of land than most of the surrounding area

I made my own tinfoil antenna over cardboard using baking wire and a 300-75ohm transformer. It’s about 3.5 feet by 4 feet in size and is mounted about 5 feet off the ground on the inside of my garage wall facing 60 degree magnetic north. I get CBC 720p (4.1), CBFOT-D 720p (sporadically French so don’t watch) (9.1), CJOH 1080i (13.1) And occasionally TVO. I had it in my garage rafters for 6 months but then put a metal roof on. I had 5 -6 channels with the added 5 feet of height.

First question - if I make is larger would that be of any benefit?

Second question - how can I improve my reception ?
Obviously higher is better... but it won’t last long outside 😉 I would rather not put up a tower. Would two antennas work better ?
Third question - why do t I get channels from the tower located at camp fortune ?

I bought and returned a bestbuy outdoor digital antenna because it performed worse than my homemade antenna.

The Rabbitears website lists the following channels as possible

Less likely

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I’m located about SSE of smiths falls towards camp fortune and on a higher point of land than most of the surrounding area
Hello, Cndgoose; welcome to the forum. This is a rabbitears.info report for Smiths Falls:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=18691

Can you do one for your location for a more accurate analysis and give us the link or report number? You might have to use coordinates.
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
First question - if I make is larger would that be of any benefit?
The elements must be the right length for the frequencies to be received, just as organ pipes must be the right length for any particular note.
Second question - how can I improve my reception ?
Obviously higher is better... but it won’t last long outside 😉 I would rather not put up a tower.
Build an antenna that can be put outside in the weather.
Would two antennas work better ?
We don't know what would be better until we have more information about your location.
Third question - why do t I get channels from the tower located at camp fortune ?
Is that "why don't"? You do get channels from the Ryan Tower at Camp Fortune. Click on Map for CBOT in the report. The red marker is for Smiths Falls; the white marker is for the Ryan Tower.
I bought and returned a bestbuy outdoor digital antenna because it performed worse than my homemade antenna.
What antenna did you buy? Can you show us a photo of the antenna that you built?

921 - 940 of 990 Posts