Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

901 - 920 of 990 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what I did is put up a 30 foot tower, I installed 2 CM-4221 antennas, almost back to back. One is aimed at Camp Fortune and the other is aimed at the towers near Watertown. In total I am getting 22 stations. The antenna is hooked directly to a Tablo box and it shows all stations coming in a full strength. I did not put an amplifier in the system, and after two months of service all seems good so far.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Are you combining the two antennas with a regular splitter/combiner? If so, you are one of the lucky ones for whom this works, often it causes issues.

What are you getting on VHF with the CM 4221s?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for the late reply on this. I mounted the two CM 4221s basically back to back, as one is facing Camp Fortune and the other facing the towers just outside of Watertown. So from my location going by compass readings one is pointed at 193 and the other at 6 degrees. I ran a 3 foot lead off each one and used a regular combiner/splitter.

The VHF channels I am getting are 7.1 CBS, 7.2 FOX, 11.1 CHCH-DT and 13 CJOH all of them come in good.

I did the exact same setup for some friends about a mile and a half away with the same results. I do not know much about this stuff as you can tell by all the questions I ask you, maybe I got lucky because the two CM 4221's are positioned basically back to back.

Still considering an amplifier as I am wondering if I will loose some reception with winter storms, but will wait and see.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Only 7 and 13 are actual VHF channels. CHCH broadcasts on UHF channel 22, with a virtual channel number of 11.1
Other analog stations on VHF you might pick up are Global on 2, CHRO on 5, and CJOH on 8, but all these are available on digital channels.
You may also pick up CTV Kingston on 11.1 real VHF.

Note that a lot of these real channel numbers may change in 3 years -- 13 CJOH moves to 7, 7 WWNY moves to 8, and 11 Kingston moves to 13. Plus the other Watertown UHF stations will change (41 to 26, 21 to 31, while 35 stays the same), as will 40(to 32), 42(to 15), and 43(to 35) in Ottawa, and 44(to 21) in Cloyne.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering when that was going to happen.
I don't imagine any analog channels that need to move under the new plan will bother moving. If they can't stay on channel, they'll probably shut down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been awhile after the last storm I've lost a ton of channels off my omni thinking my antenna is shot. Or maybe the Amplifier. I can only get PBS channels WWTI Laff and Escape today. Can't even get cbc. My CM that is in my attic went wonky also the other day. I had to rescan and have most of the original channels. For some reason WWNY and Fox are gone though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recommendations for antenna's

Hi All. I live at the edge of rural Ottawa, close to Kemptville and looking for some help to purchase the best antenna for my area. For some years I had two tiny digital antenna's from Monoprice and picked up all the Ottawa tower as well as PBS from watertown. Then they quit. Since then I have tried different antenna's, passive and powered but not getting good results, and have lost the PBS signal even if I point directly to it! I have 50ft of tower to work with, and looking to pick up signals from 3 towers pretty well within a 180 degree range, all signals are within 60-70 miles of me, ottawa signal is 30 miles. I'm sick of trial and error and looking to buy and point (or if omni directional is best) the best antenna for my area. Seems so many companies say we are best but reading reviews are mixed. Any professional help on this would be great. I should mention I have 50ft trees across the street from my tower, but not in the site lines to towers.

Thanks

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Welcome, Bill

Please post a link to your TVFool report. You can do one here:
TV Fool

Seems so many companies say we are best but reading reviews are mixed.
Years ago, performance claims came from engineers; now they come from the marketing department.
Since then I have tried different antenna's, passive and powered but not getting good results
What antennas have you tried?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thank you

The 150 mile antennas don't hold up very well; they fail soon.

The ANT2084 is OK, but its multidirectional claim is bogus.

Is the PBS station WNPI? I think it has adjacent channel interference, but I can't be certain without your signal report.

Your signal report please, so I can do an accurate analysis.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/125161-%2A%2A%2A-welcome-new-members-read-these-ota-forum-instructions-before-posting-%2A%2A%2A.html
Now you are ready to make your first post, but follow these steps:◦Use TV Fool to Determine Your Available OTA Stations in Canada:
1.use your proper address and put both your city and province into the city field, OR
2.enter your exact map coordinates at the TVFool site and wait for your results page to load
3.your address will be kept secret - it will not show up to anyone else on your completed report
4.after it loads, copy-and-paste the URL of your personal TVFool report to a file or clipboard for future reference
5.read through the Reception Results thread for your area to see how others have done, in case there are local reception issues
6.Put your city and either the neighbourhood name or the nearest major intersection or landmark in the post's title, such as: "Happytown, BC: Glad Ave & Smiley St"
7.Paste your TVFool report's link into your first post in the appropriate reception results thread. Please do not start a new thread since all areas should be available for discussion.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thank you for the report, Bill. I will study it after dinner.
I basically have three towers to pick up two towards Ottawa and one almost 180 degrees for pbs
Yes, I see that. The solution will not be easy because the local signals are much stronger than PBS. One solution would be an antenna aimed at PBS; the locals would come through the back of the antenna. The other solution would require two antennas, one aimed north, the other at PBS. The second solution would give better reception, but combining UHF signals from two antennas is difficult.

How many TVs do you have?

How long is the coax from the antenna to the TV?

I hope you are prepared to do some more testing to get better results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m about 20 feet from the tower to the 2 TVs , plus the 49-50 ft down the tower. I could try placing the better attenna towards pbs? I also wonder if there may also be a better attenna to use?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts

have lost the PBS signal even if I point directly to it!
Are you still using the ANT2084? According to your report it should pick up WNPI when aimed at it. If it doesn't, is there something wrong with the antenna or the coax downlead?

Are you aimed between the trees in front of your house?

According to the reports, WNPI 23 has adjacent channel interference from CHCH-1 on real channel 22, and from CICO on 24. To avoid interference an adjacent channel must not be any more than 33 dB above the WNPI strength. What helps is that WNPI is in a different direction, so a directional antenna for WNPI will make the adjacent channel interference weaker.

Does the ANT2084 do OK with the Ottawa channels when aimed North?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I’m about 20 feet from the tower to the 2 TVs , plus the 49-50 ft down the tower. I could try placing the better attenna towards pbs? I also wonder if there may also be a better attenna to use?
If I were there with you I would want to try a directional antenna just for WNPI and a preamp up near the antenna.
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb91x

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/JUICE.html

https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7778.htm

https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplify_TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777hd.htm

More tomorrow if I have time; need sleep now, Bill.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
The WNPI terrain profile shows that the signal just grazes the surface of the earth on its way to your antenna, which scatters the signal. The software simulation uses elevation readings along the path, but does not included trees or buildings in the path. The added height of your tower helps.

You are on the fringe of WNPI coverage

Closeup of your area

40 kW is not a lot of power for a UHF transmitter.

You will need a preamp at the HDB91X UHF antenna for WNPI to make the signal stronger before the coax downlead loss and before the splitter loss.

I can't guarantee that this will work, but I think it is your best chance for PBS. My wife and I also like PBS and PBS/Create.

901 - 920 of 990 Posts