Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

861 - 880 of 990 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone experiencing drop out or reduced signal strength of WWTI 50-1 and WWTI 50-2. The transmitter site is being worked on in Copenhagen, ny. I just got off the phone with WWTI general manager David males, and he advised me that their chief engineer suspects transmitter cable line leakage from transmitter to the antenna. Apparently they are getting Rd feedback into the transmitter, shutting it down as a protective measure. The engineer tried installing a dummy load to test it, and it still shuts down. They are in contact with their transmitter manufacturer, Harris to resolve this situation. So they are running at 60 percent capacity until the problem has been determined.

·
Registered
2 Posts
West end Kingston

Hi all,

Spent the weekend setting up my db8e antennae. I went with an attic mount as I'm not keen on the curb appeal of a roof mount. Anyway my house (West end Kingston) sits on a south sloping hill (If I stand on my roof I can see Lake Ontario) so I figured that would be in my favour. So far, I've only be able to get 7.1, 7.2, and 11.1 reliably. I also have a CM7777 pre-amp but whenever I put that on the line I get zero reception, so I'm not sure what gives there. I was able to find 10.1, grit.tv, and a couple others in one search but they weren't stable.

Anyways here's my http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d513479ba3113ea

Not sure what my next steps are, would love to get TVO, PBS, ABC, & NBC, but I guessing I'd have to roof mount?

Also what gives with the pre-amp? Some online research said it might be overloading my stronger signals? and I should be looking at a distribution amp?

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
473 Posts
KingstonPaul...
You should do better than what your getting.
Something must be wrong.
You should at least get ABC 50.1 and PBS 16.1 from Watertown.
I find it odd you are getting no UHF channels, only VHF with a UHF antenna.
You should start by pointing both sections of the antenna in the same direction towards Watertown.
Make sure your TV is set for antenna, not cable.
Remember that ABC 50.1 is RF21 and PBS 16.1 is RF41.
Make sure your cables and connectors are in good shape.
If you have an old style CM7777 (separate UHF and VHF inputs) make sure the internal setting is set to combined.
Make sure the power supply is plugged in and the amp at the antenna is just after combiner. No splitters in between power supply and amp.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
931 Posts
KingstonPaul: What's your roof made of? Metal building materials really kill the signal and would force you to go rooftop.

It is more likely that your TV is looking on cable frequencies instead of OTA, as Brightonian said.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CBC Reception Question - Elgin, Ontario

Hi All,

I live in Kemptville, Ontario and have had very good success with OTA reception.

Long story as short as I can make it - I rent a cottage on an island on Sand Lake in the summer (just west of Elgin, Ontario on Sand Lake). This summer its booked for first 2 weeks of August. Cottage has a TV (for dvds etc.) and I figured to haul my 4-bay antenna, 50 ft. of coax and pre-amp out there with me to catch the Olympics. Figured CBC affiliate in Kingston would be an easy pick up.

Just found out that CKWS in Kingston switched affiliations to CTV. This means I would have to try and pick-up CBOT 25-1 out of Camp Fortune in order to watch the Olympics. Not sure if this is just a pipe dream? The cottage is way up on the top of a hill (I estimate about 75 feet over lake level). Does anyone on here live near Elgin or Jones Falls or any of the surrounding towns? Would appreciate your feedback about reception in this area and whether or not Ottawa signals are possible. TV fool report for the island below. Thanks in advance.

TV Fool

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Welcome, Hawkeye:

CBOT is very weak at your island location which is west of Birch Island and just south of Eclestone Island, but it should be possible if your 4-bay UHF antenna with preamp is above the trees.

You can see you are on the fringe:

a close up shows some signal color on your island, but Jones Falls Lockstation and Morton are in a deadzone:

The terrain profile shows the curvature of the earth blocking the signal, but some of it might make it over the terrain obstructions by refraction:

http://www.mike-willis.com/Tutorial/PF6.htm

Please let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sandbanks Provincial Park area

Hi everyone,

I'm a OTA'er from the Whitby area looking for some suggestions for a setup at a new park model trailer in the Sandbanks area.

Here is my TV Fool for the new place: ARDUN's TV Fool

The unit will be about 100' from the shore of Lake Ontario, according to Google Maps it's ~84km to Rochester and ~120km to Syracuse as the crow flies (across the lake).

At home I have an 8-bay channel master with a 7778 amp in the attic and I get all of the Toronto and Buffalo stations easily. However this unit will be outside so wondering if I can get by with something smaller, would I need multiple antennas to pick up Canadian stations, would a 7778 amp have enough power, etc.

Just starting to look at this and hoping I can take advantage of some of the experience on this board to help formulate a plan.

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The lake-side is wide-open. The other directions look pretty obstructed.

By the looks of the TV fool 6, 11, and 27 should be fairly strong but I'm wondering if they will be a challenge to pick up if everything is pointed at the US-side.

Thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You will get the Rochester stations, but NBC and ABC are on VHF 10 and 13.
So you will need to have an antenna that has VHF capability like the CM4228 that you currently have.
I am on the lake also and Rochester is 8 miles farther than it is for you. I get reliable VHF reception with it.
But sounds like you want something smaller. You would likely get Syracuse stations too especially in the Summer,
You don't need VHF for those and could get a smaller 4 bay antenna.
Hopefully you will get a few of the Canadian stations off side as well.
In all honesty though you would probably do quite well in the Summer (tropo is everyday) on the lake with
even a little crappy antenna. The RV antenna we use when camping does very well when we camp at Presqu'ile.
But a good antenna would be more reliable and more fun!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the insight Brightonian, very helpful.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi KingstonPaul,

Sorry for the months old reply. It's been a while since I've been on here.

I'm not sure if you've got you channel situation sorted out. I live in line with your house and the bulk of where your channels will be coming from (PBS, WWNY, CKWS). You should be getting those channels along with WWTI and WNYF (along with their subs) if you are pointed in a east, south-east direction.
To get WSTM you will need to point south, south-east. I have had success getting this channel along with some of the other channels WCNY and WSYR. These channels are difficult to bring in over the winter and on turbulent days. I however only have a 4 bay up and running now.
For TVO you will be pointing almost directly West.

I find that if I have my 7777 inline I loose WWNY channels, I don't remember if I lost CKWS at the same time. I think you are correct with a signal overload.

I tried pulling the back elements off my 4 bay to try to get TVO off the backside as it is fairly close to being inline with the CKWS/WWNY channel bunch but I did not have success.

If you are curious, you could probably get CJOH with the 7777 on but Global out of the North is impossible. Even with a huge Yagi and the pre-amp I never got Global in.

It would be great if CKWS would sub Global now that they are both owned by SHAW.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I see that WWNY will be adding MeTV to their subchannel set, at the first of September.

On last Tuesday, I was able to pick up WUTR out of Utica, here in Belleville. While looking through their lineup, I see that they had 3 HD signals, on their RF30 channel position and one SD, being MeTV. They had NBC as the primary channel, but also had a CBS and CW. I hope the day comes, that either WWNY or WWTI decides to add an NBC affiliate, to round out the Watertown market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kingston Area

New to OTA and new to these forums. I just bought a ClearStream 4V and Channel Master CM7777, I am currently getting 32 digital and 2 analog channels. The analog channel 6 and 14 are almost unwatchable. Out of the 33 Channels I get 10 channels 24/7 they are 7.1, 7.2, 11.1, 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, 50.1, 50.2, 50.3, 50.4. The azimuth of my antenna is approximately 162, I have it pointed this way so I can try and get the towers in/around Syracuse. On a good day I do get 23 other channels, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 5.1, 5.2, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 24.1, 24.2, 24.3, 24.4, 43.1, 43.2, 56.1, 56.2, 56.3, 56.4, 56.5, 56.6, 68.1, 68.2. I was worried that with the CM7777 I may get over amplification from 11.1 CKWS but it looks like I am not. The channels I get 24/7 all went up around 5dB and with a lot of the channels from Syracuse when they did come in they were around 1-2 bars (10 bars max) and now with the CM7777 they are 7-10 bars. I still have drop outs with them, they can go from 10 bars down to 1 and then go out but they only go out for a second then pop back up to 10 bars. Best time for receiving the Syracuse channels is early morning until maybe noon then they drop out and may come back in later at night.

Anyone else around Kingston having any better luck? My antenna is around 15ft above ground and the back of my house is around 100 meters from lake Ontario.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Are you having any luck picking up RF35, the low power FOX/MeTV out of Watertown?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If that is WNYF on 7-2 then I am getting it. I do get Fox on 68-1 WSYT and MeTV on 9-2 WSYR-2, both are from Syracuse. I may play around with the azimuth this weekend, I am pointing more towards Syracuse but on a good day I do get WKTV out of Utica that is 169km away.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The Watertown FOX affiliate is on RF35 and remaps to 28. It's in HD but low power. Occasionally, when the tropo is right, I can receive it, here in Belleville. It has MeTV as a subchannel. I did make an inquiry about why it went to the LP transmitter and was told they are considering an upgrade to WWNY down the road. It's kind of redundant to have the FOX in SD on the channel 7 frequency. At least Jim Corbin got back to me quickly about it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just checked E Mails and this was a response that I received this afternoon. Here is a cut and paste:

We hope to add MeTV to the channel 7 frequency, but in all likelihood WWNY will remain HD, WNYF SD and MeTV SD. The reason is with the sports and fast motion video on CBS & FOX we can’t transmit 2 HD channels. In the future the TV standard will be changing again and multiple HD channels will be easier to transmit.

Jim Corbin

Program Director/Director of FOX Broadcasting/Web Development Director
315-788-3800 x215
Fax 315-786-2080
mailto:[email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys and gals. Cord is still cut here, havent done too much with regard to my set ups.
I am getting two new channels with my Esky pointed NE 50-3 LAFF and 50-4 ESCAPE. Seems they are speciality channels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That would be nice if they add MeTV, even if it's SD it is better than nothing. I usually get WWNY-HD 7.1 around 6 bars but I have my antenna pointed more towards Syracuse. I may get another ClearStream 4V and have one point towards Watertown/Utica and the other towards Syracuse/Rochester.

861 - 880 of 990 Posts