Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 990 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
OK, then it makes sense to go after the two station managers, to get the ball rolling. I have contacted both, with no response from Vic Vetters and an automated letter from Jim Corbin. Maybe we need to add a few more voices to get it done.

I think that the severe storms, on Monday, damaged the WKTV tower and they're not up to full power, as of yet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well better late than never I got an email off to Mr Vetters and Mr Corbin. I haven't received anything back yet.

I also sent an email to CKWS to see if they would be adding any sim subs when they make the switch. The best we could hope from them is CHEX as a few years ago they successfully blocked the building of a CHCH repeater just north of town.

I've noticed driving around town a growing number of antenna's on houses in town. Most are double bays, pointing southish with no rotors. Kingston is a very underserviced market by Canadian broadcasters.

On a very bright note, my CM7777 was shipped today and it should arrive very soon :)

Also I'm not sure if I can post this here or not but I have a Channel Master Big Boy with rotor that I don't need anymore. If anyone wants one PM me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok so I just got a response from Mr. Corbin. It's a very informative response and I am very appreciative of Mr. Corbin taking the time to explain the situation.
It's an interesting concept but a number of factors would probably hamper
its implementation. For WWNY we already have WNYF FOX-28 as a subchannel
so bandwidth is an issue...especially since WWNY broadcasts in HDTV (a
bandwidth hog). There are affiliate agreements between the Networks and
their affiliates for coverage in certain markets. WSTM (and WPTZ in St Law
Co) is the NBC for the Watertown market...WTVH is the CBS for Utica...so
there need to be discussions/negotiations.
Perhaps there is hope?..........

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
One soultion could be -- up the power on channel 7 to the 42 kW allotted in the DTV FCC/iC LOA. Then WNYF South Colton could broadcast WNYF Fox and WPTZ, (instead of WWNY-HD/WNYF-SD) while WNYF Watertown could broadcast WNYF-HD Fox and WSTM.

The drawback is that channel 7 at 42 kW may still not be strong enough to cover all the wholes in St Lawrence County, and special arangements would have to be made to get the WPTZ signal to South Colton, as OTA reception of WPTZ Mt Mansfield even from the top of the tower could be marginal in bad weather. They would probably want to use a microwave or fibre connection. To get the second channel in HD would require statistical multiplexing equipment.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Curious, how the two U.S. satellite carriers are going to use different affiliates than are authorized, according to what Jim Corbin is saying. Dish and Directv are going to use Utica's WKTV in the Watertown area and WWNY for the Utica area. Speaking with Directv, they told me that they are expecting to launch the Watertown locals, sometime this fall. There may be a caveat also, because Directv may be considering splitting up the NBC affiliate by county. Perhaps they are considering WPTZ for St. Lawrance County and WKTV for Jefferson County. They did ask what County I was in, when I asked them about locals for Watertown.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
BTW I hope you guys are remembering to send those station staffers an invitation to join here. :) Let them know that we already have many members from all facets of TV broadcasting in Canada and the United States so they'd be welcome here for sure!

·
Registered
256 Posts
New station for me, WSPX out of Syracuse. Its tough for me to get due to the SRC repeater in Belleville broadcasting on 15 as well and that it is only 100kw.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Without CM7777 Preamp

I was sure to mention to Mr Corbin and Mr Vetters about digital home.

On a very happy note I received my CM7777 yesterday, on the down side just as I was getting ready to hit the roof one huge nasty thunderstorm rolled through....
So tonight I'm heading up and getting the CM7777 up and running. Here is my current lineup from a scan I just performed.

3-1 WSTM
3-2 WSTQ
3-3 Weather Plus
5-1 WTVH-DT
8-1 WROC
9-1 WSYR-HD
9-2 WSYR (no longer broadcasting?)
10-1 WHEC
10-2 WHEC
13-1 WHAM-HD
13-2 CW-WHAM
16-1 WPBS1
16-2 WPBS-2 (create/think bright)
16-3 WPBS-HD
24-1 WCNY-1
24-2 WCNY-2
24-3 WCNY-3
24-4 WCNY-HD
43-1 WNYS
50-1 WWTI
50-2 WWTI-DT2 (CW)
51-1 WPXJ-DT
51-2 WPXJ Qubo
51-3 WPXJ ION Life
68-1 WSYT-DT

I know some of these are Tropo channels and I am missing WWNY's 2 channels right now because of a cable problem which I will be fixing tonight as well. I am very curious to see what kind of difference the CM7777 makes.
Unfortunately I am using mythtv and the signal meter does not seem to work.

·
Registered
207 Posts
With CM7777 Preamp

So I just finished hooking up the the CM7777 and here are the channels I am now getting.

2-1 WGRZ-HD (Buffalo)
2-2 WGRZ-US
2-3 WGRZ-RT
3-1 WSTM (Syracuse)
3-2 WSTQ
3-3 Weather Plus
4-1 WIVB (Buffalo)
5-1 WTVH (Syracuse)
8-1 WROC (Rochester)
9-1 WSYR-HD (Syracuse)
9-2 WSYR-2
16-1 WPBS-1
16-2 WPBS-2
16-3 WPBS-HD
18-1 WETM (Elmira)
18-2 WETM-2
24-1 WCNY-1 (Syracuse)
24-2 WCNY-2
24-3 WCNY-3
24-4 WCNY-HD
43-1 WNYS-DT (Syracuse)
50-1 WWTI-1 (Watertown)
50-2 WWTI-2
51-1 WPXJ-DT (Rochester)
51-2 WPJX qubo
51-3 WPXJ ION Life
68-1 WSYT-DT (Syracuse)

Looks like I lost 5-1(WTVH Syracuse), 10-1, 10-2 (WHEC Rochester), 13-1 (WHAM Rochester), 13-2
I still didn't get WWNY out of Watertown, odd since I did change out the cable with another one, although I don't know if that cable might be blocking WWNY freq?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
So I just finished hooking up the the CM7777 and here are the channels I am now getting.

2-1 WGRZ-HD (Buffalo)
2-2 WGRZ-US
2-3 WGRZ-RT
3-1 WSTM (Syracuse)
3-2 WSTQ
3-3 Weather Plus
4-1 WIVB (Buffalo)
5-1 WTVH (Syracuse)
8-1 WROC (Rochester)
9-1 WSYR-HD (Syracuse)
9-2 WSYR-2
16-1 WPBS-1
16-2 WPBS-2
16-3 WPBS-HD
18-1 WETM (Elmira)
18-2 WETM-2
24-1 WCNY-1 (Syracuse)
24-2 WCNY-2
24-3 WCNY-3
24-4 WCNY-HD
43-1 WNYS-DT (Syracuse)
50-1 WWTI-1 (Watertown)
50-2 WWTI-2
51-1 WPXJ-DT (Rochester)
51-2 WPJX qubo
51-3 WPXJ ION Life
68-1 WSYT-DT (Syracuse)

Looks like I lost 5-1(WTVH Syracuse), 10-1, 10-2 (WHEC Rochester), 13-1 (WHAM Rochester), 13-2
I still didn't get WWNY out of Watertown, odd since I did change out the cable with another one, although I don't know if that cable might be blocking WWNY freq?
If you are losing the VHF stations (7,10,13) then you've probably got the wrong setting on the preamp. s the 7777 one of those CM preamps that has selectable VHF and UHF inputs?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tvlurker, I went digging and rlongfield is using a homebrew M4 I think (based on the Kawartha's thread, the old Kingston thread). It is UHF only, not great for VHF.

Rlongfield, you are going to need a VHF antenna at some point. My father in law had the same trouble losing 7 all the time, so I hooked him up with a UVSJ and wired up his old antenna for Channel 7 and he uses his 4 bay for UHF. Works great for him.

Unfortunately in the Kingston area, we need to have a combo antenna with WWNY on 7, Global going to 8 and CKWS staying 11. Also Rochester has some channels on VHF Hi that can be had on a skip night.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yah I currently have a youtube special that looks like an M4 but it's not. I was going to start working on a real M-4 but now I am thinking I might need something with a wider field, according to TVFool the bulk of my channels are about 40-45 degrees apart. (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9fbe3040ffaf42). Something wide enough to catch these would be great.

I honestly think loosing Ch 7 is a cable problem. When I had the mythbox on the TV downstairs Ch 7 came in crystal clear, I moved the myth box upstairs and put it on a different cable run and Ch 7 is gone. Ch 6 is still there, snowy but still there.
As for the preamp it is still on the factory default of combined UHF/VHF.

Another problem I noticed is that with all the heat and the top heavy-ness of the antenna the Schedule 40 tube I'm testing with is starting to bend and the antenna is starting to point up. It's probably up about 10-15 degrees now maybe more. Time for a better rod.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well scratch ch 7 being a cable problem. I just did a scan and wouldn't you know it, I am receiving ch 7-1 and 7-2 now.
My line up basically consists of watertown and syracuse channels now 3(WSTM), 5(WTVH), 7(WWNY), 9(WSYR), 16(WPBS), 24(WCNY), 43(WNSY), 50 (WWTI). No Ion though.

I am going to assume that these should be the channels I regularly get. With a proper antenna and a mast that isn't bending over backwards should I expect to always get these channels (baring major weather interruptions)?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
It's always tricky to try to establish your list of regular channels during the summer when even mild tropo events can raise your expectations. Personally I benchmark my system in the dead of winter. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yah, well when I pulled in channels from Buffalo and south new york state I knew I was getting tropo channels. Although I would have loved it if it was the pre-amp :)
I'm hoping that the channel I get now are ones I can count on. Other than Ion (for Qubo) there isn't anything I don't need, although it was pretty neat watching RTV the other day out of Buffalo.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Syracuse is hit and miss in the winter time for me. Point a little east and you'll get Fox in HD from Watertown on the Low power WNYF 28-1 (35). WROC is pretty consistent too, it came in most nights from March to November when I lived in the apartment. Ion from Syracuse sure would be nice (one of my favourites), but Belleville 15 interferes.

For NBC and the Ion's including Qubo, I am contemplation putting up a dish with a c-band lnb, some receivers then adding them back in to the cable with an encoder. Those two channels are broadcasting unscrambled around the 103 degree mark. (I can't remember the actual bird)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yah I too have contemplated sticking a dish up to get a few channels like RTV and NBC to add to the channel lineup, you can also get History and Biography.
C-band dishes are pretty huge. FYI AMC 1 at 103 has ION on C band and NBC on KU band. Anyways a bit off topic there.
I think I'll work on seeing if I can get ION and NBC from syracuse better with a more directional antenna and a better setup.
Thanks for the tip about Fox. I get fox right now on 7-2 and currently I'm not fussed about HD, I don't have an HDTV and honestly I don't care how clear CSI is. Hockey is the only thing I'd like in better detail and well CKWS isn't in HD yet so there is no rush for a new TV set.

41 - 60 of 990 Posts