Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 990 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
tlamothe said:
Awesome results.

Another channel you should be able to get is RF 35 which is 28.1.
It is the HD version of 7.2. There are some odd days that 68.1 doesn't come in so I use it as my backup.
Just to go back again. I managed to get 28.1 WNYF-CD. Don't know why I wasn't getting it before since it's pretty strong compared to other channels right now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Being low power makes WNYF RF35 look viable in good weather, but once the weather gets bad, it won't be available. I wish that WWNY would be granted a high power licence for WNYF. I also wish that the Watertown area would get an NBC affiliate, so we can get that programming a little easier around here.

Tried to watch the Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final tonight, but had problems pulling in Syracuse. I was able to get the Rochester NBC on VHF High on RF10.1, but had a little pixelation. All of my U.S. signals were down in power, or unavailable tonight, because of the brutal weather. RF10 was in at only 40%. Why would I want to watch a U.S. feed for the game? Uncompressed video, that looks better than anything that satellite or cable can provide. I wish Canadian OTA broadcasters would get their heads out of their ass' so we can get a decent feed of the game. The Starchoice uplink, in Mississauga, had a major rain storm, right at the time when Overtime started, knocking out their HD signals on 111w. My choice was either SD or OTA. Thank God for having the OTA option!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Being low power makes WNYF RF35 look viable in good weather, but once the weather gets bad, it won't be available. I wish that WWNY would be granted a high power licence for WNYF. !
WWNY's owner, United Communications can't do that directly, since the FCC's Duopoly rules preclude a single owner of two full-power "Big-Four" network affiliates in a market. Since WNYF is an LP station, it doesn't count.

However, those rules are currently under review...

As for getting na NBC affiliate, there was some discussion of that with WWNY's Jim Corbin over in his blog, but I susepect there are market considerations with the Syracuse and Plattsburg NBC affiliates.

Iit's interesting that DISH's NBC local-into-local satellite option for the North Country is now WKTV from Utica, and not Syracuse or Plattsburg, which is what Time Warner Cable carries.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't know how they can deny an NBC affiliate into the Watertown DMA. Plattsburg/Burlington DMA only comes as far west as just east of Messina, NY. Utica has it's own DMA and does not have a complete set of locals either. They're missing the CBS affiliate. Looking at a legal sub, through Directv, and they don't offer locals in the Watertown DMA. They don't offer them in Utica/Rome either. If I'm not mistaken, the CBS and NBC affiliates are owned by the same people, in Syracuse. If they ever offer the Watertown locals, via satellite, they'll likely allow them to add WNBC, New York, since they're the eastern locals for those without a grade A contour.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I picked up some parts for my system last night. One of the items was a UVSJ. I was checking to see what removing UHF did for Channel 7 reception. An increase in 2 bars by knocking off the UHF stations 2 miles from the house.

I also have a jointenna for channel 11 which I played with. I also have a tinlee channel 12 and channel 2 notch filter. The Channel 2 information was said it was channel 11. It was inexpensive so I am not too worried about having bought it.

Based on how well the UVSJ worked increasing the strength on the VHF channel, I'll be looking at getting a notch filter for 32 and 38. The notches may help the Syracuse UHF channels as well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
WSYT in Syracuse has dropped its SD copy of the HD sub-channel.
Hopefully, they do something useful, with that subchannel. Syracuse could use RTN, or something like that, since there is no affiliate between Albany and Buffalo. I'm getting preturbed with WSTM's weather channel, on 3.3. They spend more time with infomercials, then they do with the Weather or Doppler radar. I like their Doppler better than 9.2, because it shows all the way up into Canada. Handy, for getting up to date weather patterns, north of Lake Ontario. I'm surprised that one of the Watertown locals doesn't have a subchannel, since they have unusual weather, at the end of Lake Ontario.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'm surprised that one of the Watertown locals doesn't have a subchannel, since they have unusual weather, at the end of Lake Ontario.
Both Watertown commercial stations have secondary networks on subchannels -- Fox on 7.2 and CW on 50.2
I doubt they would want to steal any more bits away from the main HD channel (especially WWNY, whcih is 1080i) to add a second SD sub-channel.

Now WNYF-CD could squeeze in a weather channel on 35.2. From what I could tell, that kind of investment is not in the current capital budget.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is too bad, that none of the Watertown locals didn't add a weather subchannel. Nearby Lowville has a doppler tower on the Tug Hill. I see WSTM's weather channel uses it, as one of it's triple doppler signals. Problem is, too much informercial on that so called weather channel and not enough actual weather and doppler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
tvlurker said:
Iit's interesting that DISH's NBC local-into-local satellite option for the North Country is now WKTV from Utica, and not Syracuse or Plattsburg, which is what Time Warner Cable carries
I believe the reason DISH is not providing Syracuse or Plattsburg NBC to the Watertown DMA is because the spot beams for Plattsburg and Syracuse don't cover all the Watertown DMA. Syracuse spot beam misses northern St. Lawrence co. and Plattsburg spot beam misses Jefferson and Lewis co. Watertown and Utica are on the same spot beam on the new E14 sat. at 119 degrees. Now that Watertown DMA is on satellite. I don't think you will ever see an NBC OTA channel in the North country

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've pretty much gotten used to watching NBC shows on the Canadian stations or on the KU FTA satellite feeds on AMC6 when they're available.

It'll be a sad day when I cave in to cable or paid pizza dish TV!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I picked up the Elmira stations, on Saturday. They have one station, WENY, that has ABC as the primary channel on 36.1, but they also have CBS, on 36.2 and CW on 36.3. Too bad that either WWNY, or WWTI didn't decide to do this with WKTV, out of Utica, and simsub commercials for the Watertown area. WKTV could do the same with WWNY, since their DMA does not have a CBS affiliate. Maybe a couple of station managers need to have a meeting. Maybe they could meet at Old Forge or Lowville, to work out their differences.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I decided to act on my idea and sent it to Jim Corbin, at WWNY. Lets see if there is any interest in him adding WKTV as a subchannel on WWNY and drop WNYF, since they already have a designated signal on 35.1. I proposed a signal swap, with his Utica counterpart and simsub local commercials. Both channels win.

·
Registered
790 Posts
And The Winner Is.......

With all of the heavy thunderstorm and tornado warnings, in the Rochester\Syracuse corridor, I watched the three weather channels, WSTM RF24(3.3), WHEC RF10(10.2) and WSYR RF17(9.2). After watching the bad weather action, WSYR, the ABC affiliate wins hands down. They stayed with the story, showing close in localized doppler and following the funnel clouds and severe weather across the area. The other two, both NBC affiliates, dropped the ball. Both showing a weather loop that was at least 4 hours old and not dropping the infomercials in favour of safety for their viewers. I give WSYR an A+ for looking out for the people, while the others worried about ad revenue.

·
Registered
207 Posts
PrinceLH,

Great idea, I think the other kingston OTA'ers should send a little note to Jim expressing interest for a sim-sub of WKTV. Perhaps we should drop WKTV a line at the same time.

·
Registered
790 Posts
PrinceLH,

Great idea, I think the other kingston OTA'ers should send a little note to Jim expressing interest for a sim-sub of WKTV. Perhaps we should drop WKTV a line at the same time.
I received an automated letter from Jim Corbin, saying he was out of the office until mid July. I've had a number of E Mail conversations with Jim, during the last few years, and keep chatting in person to Mel Busler, when in Watertown. I keep running into him, everywhere I go. I tell him many of us north of the border watch WWNY frequently. It would be a good idea to all ask Jim about the possibility of a subchannel swap. We need to find out who his counterpart is, at WKTV. It would be all good, if we could make the point about Dishnetwork and their addition to their neighbours DMA. Does anyone know if Dishnetwork is using WWNY in the Utica DMA?

·
Registered
790 Posts
PrinceLH,

Here is the person to contact at WKTV, in Utica.

Vic Vetters,
Vice President/General Manager
[email protected]

21 - 40 of 990 Posts