Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Explanation needed on stacking CM 4228's

I live in southwest Barrie and I'm planning to install a CM4228 with a rotor on a 40' tower. From the threads I have been reading on this site and other forums this seems to be the best way to go.

On one of the threads I was reading a person north of me was using the set up I have mentioned above(he is at a higher elevation that I am)and getting stations from Toronto and Buffalo. It was mentioned to him that he may want to stack two CM 4228's together to improve his reception.

Is it possible that someone to give me a explanation as to what are the advantages of a stacked CM4228 vs. a single one.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not a professional in the antenna arena (I don't even have one yet, still researching so everything is perfect for a summer install), but I recall reading about 2 stacked CM4228's at http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/16bay.html.
I hope that helps; hopefully some professional around here can tell you in short what the advantages and disadvantages are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Soo Ontario Digital Yet?

My Dad is on the US side of Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior, between Paradise, MI and Whitefish Point. He gets great OTA reception from

CHBX 2
CBLT 5
TVO CICO 20 from Soo, Ontario.

He also gets

WWUP 10
WGTQ 8

altho you can tell it's starting to get to the fringe area. There is a slight chance for WTOM NBC 4 if the weather permits. I'm pretty sure he has the largest UHF/VHF combo antenna from Radio Shack, a pre amp, rotor, on about a 25-30' tower. Now I have to get him ready to go digital from all analog. Are any of the Soo Ontario stations OTA digital yet? TVfool has some listed but not sure if what they have "on paper" is actually sailing thru the air. I kinda have that same problem with finding out where the MI digital stations are now, and where they'll be next year, UHF/VHF? Been reading the forums for deep fringe reception ideas and I love it. A few US forums are ok but your's does stand out with great info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks predator

Didn't realize i could punch in Canadian stations in the FCC website. Showing CHBX 2 and TVO CICO 20 sending a digital signals on 11 and 25. Didn't find CBLT (cbc) 5 from the Soo in their list, but a website called michiganguide.com has it listed digital on 21. Driving up tommorow and taking my LCD tv up,(it's so thin and light compared to the tube sets, I love it). If we can grab a few digital channels and stay locked on, he'll be blown away by the picture.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
flyrod05, welcome here and have a look to the upper right for the Search this Thread tool. Use the term "Sault" and you'll see a bunch of previous posts of advice I've given for your area. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Goulais River (just outside of The Soo)

hello,

i live in goulais river which is just outside of sault ste. marie. I've spent the last couple of days combing over several threads to gain as much info as possible. I recently got a Sony Bravia LCD after years of using crt tvs.

I'm only picking up channels 2 (ctv), 5 (cbc) and 28 (tvo) [all of which are at 25% reception] with an old FM archer indoor antenna. On my old t.v. i could also pick up 12 (global) and c.h. (can't remember the channel number) 8 (abc), 10 (cbs) and very rarely 4 (nbc) with the same antenna.

The american channels rarely would come in clear, i should note.

With the help of the google map i found that i am about 80 km away from the cbs and abc towers in soo mich. and from what i've read so far i am in the fringe to deep fringe area from these towers.

my concern is that between my house and the cbs/abc towers is a hill (where the canadian towers are generally located) and i'm not sure if it is a large enough obstruction to even try to pick up the digital signal.

also, seeing that the distance between the canadian towers and the u.s. ones are at such a difference, i'm wondering what sort of options there are when it comes to picking the right antenna to buy.

any thoughts or comments would be great.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi greentreee and welcome here - my suggestion is to go for deep to deepest fringe gear on the basis of you having previously received the U.S. analogue stations with your earlier TV and an indoor antenna.

I'd say a VHF/FM/UHF Combo antenna like a Delhi 935SR or 936SR (with the UHF enhancement kit added to either one) would fit the bill for the next several years of analogue-to-digital transition with solid reception. Another option is the big 937 but that probably isn't needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. now it will be a matter time to get an antenna, and a tower too, it might be a couple months until i get one.

i want to add that i hooked up another set of rabbit ears, just to see what would happen, and i don't really know. But I did end up doing another channel scan, and picked up abc, cbs (is black n white with audio distortion), and global, also i did get a boost (now @ 50%) in my signal to cbc and tvo.

no signal is clear ether, my guess is that the t.v. is the cause. My computer does interfere quite a bit too.

anyways, thanks again.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Even a smaller combo antenna would get you good reception, but I have concerns about the weather effects from the lakes on a smaller one. A Delhi 935 or 936 (or one of the Combo competitors in the Antenna Chart) would suit you very well for years to come. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hello,

well,
i have one more question i guess.

What sort of disadvantages are there with me getting the CM 4228?
is it primarily due to the fact that the vhf signals won't be coming as strong?

the main reason for my question is that i'm not one paying for the antenna, and the person that is, is asking me "what about the...". I should note that the person paying is a HAM operator, and was looking at the specs and liked the gain of the CM 4228. His understanding is that after the digital conversion there won't be any VHF signals, but i tried to tell him. a) that won't be the case b) i've read that 2011 may get extended as the deadline for the analogue shut off in canada.

take care
and thanks again

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The CM4228 is certainly the antenna of choice for UHF, and in regards to VHF High channels (7 to 13) its performance is acceptable. It does not receive VHF Low channels (2 to 6) very well beyond about 20 km in most cases. If you are okay with that knowledge then yes, a CM4228 is excellent.

I assumed you'd want the best of both worlds for now, so I recommended a Combo antenna for your needs. Also a Combo will give you the ability to split your downlead to not just TVs but also FM Stereo receivers for excellent reception of the FM radio stations in your area as well as from down in the U.S.

The digital cutover in the U.S. seems to be going on track, but the Canadian one is still a bit of a mystery so I would not count on the 2011 date being etched in stone for your area.

Let us know what your thoughts are, and get your friend to join up here too since we have other HAMS here too. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, by the looks of things, i may just be able to get away with the CM 4228.
After some more thinking, the size and weight the delhi had seemed a bit of concern especially with all the trees, and the high winds.

I did some more precision measuring on google earth.

i'm just under 80 km from the abc - cbs towers, pointing the antenna in that direction, the line goes directly between the global - tvo/cbc antennas, which are about 18 km away. the placement couldn't be any more perfect.

I'm familiar with the 'shut down' dates for the analog signal as well. I'll be patiently waiting for broadband internet too.

but first, i have to wait for the snow to melt.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
North of Barrie

Ok I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a channel master 4228 , a preamp and possibly a rotator. I am located in the north of Barrie and want to hopefully replace my basic cable package.

What I was wondering was whether it would be feasible to connect directly to where my cable company came into the house and thereby automatically be connected everywhere throughout the house? The current coax used by the cable company is 18 AWG and runs to four different tvs in the house.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi pmccue, I've merged your post into this Reception thread that covers the Barrie area so you can see how others have done where you are and make a better decision on whether to go 100% OTA.

When I sound-out your user name I think back on houses we lived in on RCAF bases when I was a kid. ;)

81 - 100 of 772 Posts