681 - 700 of 772 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hello all,
I live in Hillsdale, ON. and I am using some cheap off the shelf indoor antennas.
Using these antennas on the second floor of my home gets me 3.1 CKVR, 21 CTV Toronto (analog), and 67.1 CHCH quite easily. And with a little adjustment I will get 7.1 Global.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent indoor antenna for increasing my OTA options?

TV Fool

·
Registered
931 Posts
According to your TVFool, there is nothing else there to get. If you go for a big rooftop set you can try for an another analog repeater of CTV with a slim-to-none chance of another Global. Save your money.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks so much for the quick verification.

Strange question, but can a Shaw dish that isn't connected to a receiver be used as an outdoor antenna when connected direct to the TV?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I was hoping someone could help in terms of experience with alliston Ontario. My TV fool report is the following http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e2cb7b6af4c0d7. I was thinking of getting the cm 4228hd, if I can get it from somewhere where I can return if it doesn't work. If there is a better option for the price, I am open to suggestions. The wife has said no to roof mount so would need to be in the attic. Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Joe:

Thanks for the report. If you click on Pending in your report, you will see CBLT listed below CKVR.

Your wife's restriction will make reception of your weak signals difficult because the signal loss in an attic is hard to predict. I suggest you make a temporary test setup in the attic with the 4228HD aimed at 164 degrees magnetic, trying different locations. Don't drill any holes yet.

You have a good chance of receiving signals down to CJMT if the attic signal loss isn't too great and there are no trees or other buildings in the signal path. If the signals are too weak try adding a Channel Master 7778 preamp.

I'm a little confused by your reference to Alliston because your report puts you in farmland just north of line 6 and west of Simcoe county road 27 Bond Head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I was hoping someone could help in terms of experience with alliston Ontario. My TV fool report is the following TV Fool. I was thinking of getting the cm 4228hd, if I can get it from somewhere where I can return if it doesn't work. If there is a better option for the price, I am open to suggestions. The wife has said no to roof mount so would need to be in the attic. Thanks for the response.
Following as I too live in alliston

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi:
I guess I will jump in here too for some advice as I am not sure where else to ask for it. Here is my tvfool report:

TV Fool

I would like to get CKVR for local news etc. Lots of trees and rock in my way for CKVR too.

20-30 years ago we could get CKVR and CBC, TVO, CHCH, and a couple of others on the old tube TV with something that looked like the old Channel Master 4228 on a 20 ft. pole, (rotated it by hand), but I threw it out in 2006 (regretting that now ) and went with Starchoice, now Shaw satellite . So it is either OTA ,if possible , or Shaw skinny pkg. with PBS add-ons. Too many lousy programmes to justify the extra cost.

I only watch TVO, PBS (Detroit, Buffalo), CKVR, CBC, Global; occasionally the US networks. The rest is Netflix on DSL 6 Mbps.
I have a 5 yr. old RCA (Curtis) 40" HDTV, if that makes any difference.

What equipment do you suggest I look into ? I found a Digiwave 4 bay aerial on kijiji for $25. Or is it a waste of money.

Thanks, M.M.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
For PBS programming, you are probably too far to get the signal, however, I use to watch a lot of the programming through WNED's (PBS in Buffalo) website. They have most shows up in 24 hours or less and a good catalogue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, I figured I would be too far away from any PBS station based on my TVFool report. I have the DPTV app, so it is much the same as Buffalo PBS. My real focus is on whether I can get CKVR with an OTA set up, or just downgrade my Shaw sattelite to the Skinny pkg. with PBS add-ons; that is where I need some advice. Thanks.
M.M.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Here is my tvfool report:

TV Fool

I would like to get CKVR for local news etc. Lots of trees and rock in my way for CKVR too.

What equipment do you suggest I look into ? I found a Digiwave 4 bay aerial on kijiji for $25. Or is it a waste of money.
Hi, M.M.

It is the real channel number that determines what antenna is needed. CKVR is on real channel 10, which is a VHF-High channel (7-13). The Digiwave 4-Bay aerial is for UHF (14-51), so it is not suitable for CKVR.

CKVR is very weak at your location. If you want to experiment, your best chance is with a high gain aerial like the MCM 30-2476 and a preamp. The 30-2476 is inexpensive, has poor assembly instructions, but usually performs well. Aim the aerial at 204 degrees magnetic and try to find a location for it that isn't blocked by trees.
Stellar Labs Deep Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-Hi HDTV 174 - 230MHz | 30-2476 (302476) | Stellar Labs

Outdoor HDTV VHF/UHF Antenna Preamplifier/Booster-Channel Master CM 7777 (CM7777)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Iabusas

Your Tv fool report show very good conditions to receive 4 different channels:
Global CIII
CHCH
CTV TWO
CTV Toronto (analog)

The three digital channels in your Tv fool report will be easy to get (local obstacles like trees or tall buildings notwithstanding): CKVR CTV2 Barrie (rf10) in the south, CIII Global (rf7) and CHCH (rf23) in the north.
The two analog signal stations northwest of you are the essentially the same feed; CTV. I would aim to get CFTO 21 as its uhf signal will be less prone to interference

Antenna suggestions:
Aim a UHF antenna such as the Antennas Direct DB4e or a Channel Master 4221, north north west to optimize CFTO TV 21 as it is an analog signal and will be subject to snow and ghosting. CHCH should be easy to pick up.
You may be able to use a cheaper antenna such as a AD DB2e or a CM 4220 if trees or other obstacles are not blocking your line of sight to the northwest.
You will need a vhf antenna for CKVR in the south like a STELLAR LABS 30-2475 Fringe Directional Antenna (ebay) this antenna will also help you pick up CIII from behind.
You will need a Blonder Tongue UVSJ Antenna Combiner/Joiner/Separator (ebay) to combine the two antennas.

It may be possible to pick up CKVR with the UHF antenna alone. You may wish to wait to purchase the vhf antenna.

·
Registered
31 Posts
North Bay

I was thinking of purchasing a higher powered antenna (70 mile range) and I wanted to know if the Radio-Canada signal in Béarn (QC) would be attainable from my location given that it is posted at 64,7 miles according to my tvfool location.

TV Fool

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
31 Posts
North Bay

I have a passive antenna that I purchased earlier this spring, and I'm looking at purchasing a more powerful antenna in order to get better reception of the local CTV signal. I was however thinking of purchasing one of the advertised indoor OTA antennas that has a 70 mile range. I wanted to know if the Radio-Canada signal in Béarn (QC) would be capturable from my location given that it is posted at 64,7 miles according to my tvfool location.

TV Fool

Any recommendations or someone with experience that can provide feedback?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Welcome to the forum, NipissingOTA

Thank you for the TVFool report. It is only resolved to postal code, but it is accurate enough because your postal code area is small.

Your chances for reliable reception of CKRN-TV 3 are poor, even with an outdoor antenna. The CKRN Noise Margin is listed as -34.5 dB. It is impossible to receive signals weaker than -15 dB NM. If you are able to receive signals weaker than -15 dB NM, either the TVFool report is wrong or the signal has been enhanced by Tropospheric Propagation.

Its signal is blocked by terrain and the curvature of the earth. This is the CKRN terrain profile from the TVFool website. The transmitter is at the left and your location is at the right end.

TV Fool

Here is the terrain profile using different software:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKRN-DT

It looks like CKRN-TV3 will be moving to VHF channel 7 digital, but I don't know when:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=ckrn

http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=180085

·
Registered
31 Posts
I appreciate the tips rabbit. Are there any other channels that would be realistically accessible with an antenna of this strength in my area? Has anyone had any luck with picking up signals through Tropospheric scatter?

681 - 700 of 772 Posts