Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Tijuana said:
Want to knwo what type of reciever I can get to watch tv at my cottage in Orrillia. I have one of those big antennas so I would just need a reciever right? Not looking for HD, just regular. Can it work?
Sure, plug the antenna into the TV and watch CKVR channel 3.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Tijuana said:
want to know what other channles I can get
Near Orillia you can receive ckvr on 3,cblt on 16 Barrie,Cfto on 21 near Orillia,Global on 7 ,chch on 67 near Bracebridge.All of the Toronto stations from the CN tower are possible with a tower and a rotor.There is no local OTA digital available,just the old analog system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reception near Crown Hill, between Barrie and Orillia

I am near Crown Hill, between Barrie and Orillia, just north of highway 11.
Finally put up a small tv tower with a CM4228 on it, about 40 feet up.

This is what I'm receiving, no signal enhancements happening when I checked...
Digitals out of Toronto are all solid except Sun (CKXT) on 66 never happens.
Buffalo's are sporadic, with the 23's being the most reliable, and FOX and PBS the most unreliable.
When I was in Toronto with the same antenna on the chimney of a Bungalow, all Toronto and Buffalo digitals were solid.

Analogues up here are all awesome, with regular reception of Peterborough 12 and Kitchener 13.

So far I am quite happy with the performance, although I have only been playing for a couple days.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
That's great reception, TeePee! Maybe the next step is to try an all-channel preamp up on the mast with the CM4228 like a Winegard AP8275 to see if the Buffalo stations will stabilize and the weaker Canadian stations materialize.

I just looked it up on Google Maps and you are on the north shore of Lake Simcoe on a rise so that works well for your reception from the south.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry, I failed to mention I am using a Channel Master 7777 preamp, which makes a huge difference.

My mailing address is Shanty Bay, which is on the Lake, but I am actually east of Crown Hill which is north of highway 11, South of Edgar.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
In that case I think the only major performance trick left would be to stack a second CM4228 onto it if you feel like it. This might get you the weaker T.O. and Buffalo stations a bit more reliably.

·
Registered
793 Posts
wow even getting any trace of Buffalo stations up there regularely is impressive, that over 100miles away. I guess you get nothing from the three South Buffalo Stations.

the reason you don't get SunTV 66 is because they are much lower on the CN Tower than the rest (a fulll 200feet lower than City-dt) I have a similar problem with that over here in Niagara.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sault silver sensor

Just to report, the Silver Sensor can pick up WWUP (CBS) channel 49 from the top of the North St hill area, approximately 35 miles from the tower.... and not much else.... 2009 can't come soon enough

·
Registered
2 Posts
stampeder: I thank you for all of your hard work in the Digital Home OTA community and your plotting of the Soo stations, believe it or not I have a copy at home and at work. I've been referring to like a document handed down by the OTA gods themselves. (I guess it is) About the outdoor antenna, unfortunately, I am unable to mount one to my roof, so I am stuck with an indoor antenna for the time being.

I have found that Channel 9 WGTQ is not transmitting at full power yet, the strongest signal I have been able to receive is maybe about 3 bars at the Pine St, Marina,(46°30'3.64"N 84°18'15.99"W approximately 590 ft above sea level) with the small omni directional antenna that was supplied with my Hauppauge Win-TV HVR-950 and about 4 bars at the top of Goulais Ave Hill (46°34'23.42"N 84°23'0.79"W approximately 1000ft above sea level)
I may have to invest in a VHF antenna for this channel, but in the meantime I will continue my adventures in OTA DTV in Sault Ste Marie.

by the way my location is (46°32'39.67"N 84°20'6.47"W)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just read your post TeePee,abd it's very encouraging.
I live a footballs throw N/E in Horseshoe Valley,which has a higher elevation,but more interference(valleys/trees).Are you in the area of Crown Hill that can see clear across to Blue Mountain?
Anyway,I am wondering about trying your hook up.
The FS "expert" said I had a snowball's chance of getting anything in Horseshoe..would like to prove him wrong.
Incidenatally,what HD signals do you pull from T.O.?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Basically you'll either get CBC or you won't from up there. But CTV is completely out of question, no-one in Buffalo can even get it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Horseshoe Valley between Barrie and Orillia

026123..don't know if you were referring to my location,but I know Teepee's,and he is only about 10k s/w of me.One of the higher elevations in Ontario.
I'm at the top of HSV Ski Resort,near the old war time communications center.There are a lot of tranmission towers(cell etc) all around us too.Anyway,it's probably worth a shot.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I think you will need the deepest fringe prescription, liquorpig. TeePee's already running the CM4228 with a strong CM7777 preamp, but I'd suggest a stacked pair of CM4228s running into a Winegard AP8275 on a tower about 40 or more feet up.

If you want the VHFs you could mount a Wade-Delhi VIP 307 up there with it, feeding into the same preamp.

If you want to pull out all the stops you should try to run the least possible amount of RG11 cabling down to a brand new state-of-the-art STB tuner like the Samsung H260F rather than a built-in tuner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Stampeder.
Ouch...I'm seeing $$ signs.
I was hoping Teepee's prescription would work for my area too(10k as crow flies ),but as mentioned,Crown Hill has some areas that you can see for miles S/W.
Not so here,despite the extra elevation.Have to add up the bill to weigh it out,but thanks so much for the expertise.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
It could be that TeePee's gear would do fine for you, but when I looked at the area on a relief map it seemed that he's on the edge of the south-facing rise, which works in his favour. You know the area better than I do, of course, so if the top of your tower sees south, then give his gear a try.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess my question is,how far does the "view" have to be unimpeded for a good signal.
You are right,thatTeepee is at the beginning of a south facing rise.
The rise continues(guessing 200' extra vertical),but begins to get forested towards me over that the 10km.
I will not have a totally unimpeded south facing view(only about 1km until you hit objects...ie subdivision/forest).
Still think it's worth a shot?
Thanks again

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The trees will kill off a fair amount of UHF signal at such a far distance, but VHF will mostly go right through them. Yup, I think you'd need to bring out the big guns ($$$). The gear would pay for itself in less than 2 years compared to paying for BEV or SC for that same time, but you'd have to decide which fits your needs best.

21 - 40 of 772 Posts