Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

my girlfriend and I will be taking a trip to Costa Rica in early December this year. We'll be doing a number of 'adrenaline' activities, including ww rafting, waterfall rapelling, jungle treks and the like. Needing an excuse to buy a new camers, this looks like the perfect opportunity. Based on our intended activities, this shock-proof, 10m water-proof, dust-proof offering from Olympus looks perfect.

I've read many reviews and the general vibe is that it is a good camera, but I'd like to hear any opinions from (what I consider to be) this select group.

http://www.travelgearblog.com/archive/olympus-stylus-1030sw.html

Anyone want to chime in?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have this camera and it is great for exactly the situation you describe. Its a camera you don't have to worry about knocking, or getting wet. Its really fun after a day at the beach, to take the camera into the shower with you to get clean.

The zoom lens is all internal, so there is nothing extruding from the camera - this is good.

The camera has lots of the usual features - lots of predefined settings for available light, or underwater, etc. Helpful in those situation where you need to get the settings right in a hurry.

The picture quality is good, not great, but very acceptable. The main problem with all the small sensor cameras when they try to shove too many pixels in is noise. In lots of light - its great. Lower light it suffers. I shot most of my pictures in the 5MP setting and it was fine.

The video is ok, but just ok. The microphone is very sensitive and it picks up every noise. There is often a disturbing clicking sound which I don't know where it comes from. When filming, you have to be very careful not to let the strap hit the camera or anything else or the sound will be awful.

Battery life decent, but you should have 1-2 extras with you (I got some off ebay and they work fine).

Lots of menus and buttons. I would recommend that you play around with the camera a lot before heading on your trip.

All in all I love this camera, and so did everyone I showed it to. Very compact, light. Just one warning - watch how you hold the camera.The lens is in the corner, and it is easy to get a finger or two in the shot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts