Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CBC/Radio-Canada, Canada’s Olympic network, today announced highlights of its upcoming coverage of the rescheduled Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, which will take place from Friday, July 23 to Sunday, August 8, 2021.

CBC’s comprehensive coverage of Tokyo 2020 will feature live broadcasts from CBC’s headquarters in downtown Toronto for 23 hours of daily coverage of every venue and include every Canadian medal-winning moment. In addition, broadcast partners TSN and Sportsnet will once again provide live event coverage. Tokyo 2020 officially begins on Friday, July 23 at 7 am ET (4 a.m. PT) with the much-anticipated Opening Ceremony hosted by CBC Sports veteran Scott Russell and THE NATIONAL’s Adrienne Arsenault. Both the opening and closing ceremonies will be presented in an accessible manner with closed captioning, described video and ASL integrations.

In addition to the TV broadcasts, audiences will be able to stay connected and informed via CBC’s Olympic Games website and app as well as CBC Gem, which will feature live-streaming of the broadcasts, including opening and closing ceremonies, as well as non-TV events, accounting for more than 2,500 hours of live coverage. The dedicated site, cbc.ca/tokyo2020, will house full event schedules, results, athlete bios and features, daily updates and more. Plus, exclusive coverage will be provided by CBC Sports, including in-depth reports, highlights, digital series and on-demand replays of all the most exciting moments and events.

For audiences of all ages, CBC Kids will continue with their award-winning coverage on cbckids.ca/olympics.

More details about CBC’s extensive Tokyo 2020 plans, including CBC/Radio-Canada’s coverage of the subsequent Paralympic Games, will continue to roll out in the coming weeks.

See the full press release for the daily hosts and click here for a more comprehensive list of commentators and analysts.

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"Tokyo 2020 will also be the first Games coverage to be natively produced in 4K HDR." (Olympic.org, dated March 2, 2021) We'll see if Canada will get any 4K broadcasts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
"Tokyo 2020 will also be the first Games coverage to be natively produced in 4K HDR." (Olympic.org, dated March 2, 2021) We'll see if Canada will get any 4K broadcasts.
I hope we get 4K (HDR?) broadcast in Canada as well. It will be really nice to watch sports in 4K or in HDR?

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starting this weekend, the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Swimming Trials will be available with full coverage of all preliminary and final races on CBC Sports’ digital platforms. Daily preliminary heats will begin at 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. ET. Evening finals will follow beginning at 5:30 p.m.

All sessions will be live streamed in English at cbcsports.ca, the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices and the free CBC Gem streaming service. Additionally, CBC Sports weekly staple ROAD TO THE OLYMPIC GAMES will provide broadcast coverage on Saturday, June 26 starting at 2:30 p.m. ET on CBC TV. See the full press release for more info.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
The Olympics are coming up soon. Will we get 4K coverage in Canada. I read it is available from Japan and that it is available in the US ????? I also saw that Youtube TV is offering it. We'll need a VPN for Canada.

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As the rights-holder, the 4K decision is up to the CBC. I don't think they've ever streamed anything in 4K, but they could make the feeds available to TSN and Sportsnet who have 4K channels already. Also there won't be any spectators at all at this year's Olympics.

----

NBC Olympics will provide live coverage of the NBC broadcast network’s Olympics primetime show in certain markets in the 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) format with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and ATMOS sound

Events which will be featured in 4K HDR during this summer’s Games include gymnastics, track & field, swimming, diving, beach volleyball, golf, tennis and other sports. NBCUniversal will distribute the 4K HDR coverage to U.S. distribution partners, who will individually choose how to make the content available to their customers.
NBC Press Release

YouTube TV is $64.99 per month, plus an extra $19.99 per month for 4K streaming, bringing your grand total to $84.98 USD monthly. (TechCrunch)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Both TSN and SN never broadcasted anything in 4K that they did not produce themselves. SN even took it further that they never broadcasted anything in 4K that they did not produce themselves, and did not happen in Toronto. Therefore, I am fully confident that between CBC, TSN, and SN, the Olympic Games will not be available in 4K in Canada.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I thought CBC Gem might have The Olympics in 4K for paying customers. There is no mention of 4K on their site. On occasion, I've seen BDUs carry special feeds in higher definition for their customers. I wonder if they will carry a 4K feed for people with 4K receivers. NBC will be making 4K feeds available. Canadian broadcasters just need to distribute them.

·
Super Moderator
18,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Extensive coverage of the Opening Ceremony begins at 7 a.m. ET (4 a.m. PT) with live coverage on CBC, CBC News Network, TSN and Sportsnet. Live streams of the Opening Ceremony will also be available via the free CBC Gem streaming service, CBC’s dedicated Tokyo 2020 website (cbc.ca/tokyo2020), and the CBC Olympics app for iOS and Android devices.

CBC, along with its broadcast partners TSN and Sportsnet, will offer more than 1275 hours of broadcast coverage, with an additional 2500 hours of live sport across CBC Gem, cbc.ca/tokyo2020 and the CBC Olympics app. Audiences will also be able to watch CBC’s coverage of Tokyo 2020 live-streamed and on demand (on applicable content) through Amazon Prime Video, television service providers Bell, Rogers, Shaw and Telus, and via the CBC Gem and CBC TV apps through connected TV devices Apple TV, FireTV, Google Chromecast and Roku TV. Telelatino (TLN) will once again offer Men’s and Women’s football coverage and daily recaps.

Festivities kick off at 6:30 a.m. ET (3:30 a.m. PT) with the pre-Ceremony show. A primetime broadcast of the Opening Ceremony will also air on CBC at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).

CBC’s Pre-Olympic coverage begins Wednesday, July 21 at 2 a.m. ET (July 20 at 11 p.m. PT) with Canada’s Women’s Softball team and at 6:30 a.m. ET (3:30 a.m. PT) with the Women’s National Soccer team . The full event schedule for Tokyo 2020 can be found here.

CBC's Press Release doesn't mention 4K coverage.
Additional PR: CBC/Radio-Canada providing live coverage of the Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony in 8 Indigenous languages, 2 sign languages, and described video

·
Registered
208 Posts
Looks like no 4K Olympics transmission in Canada. There are streaming apps like Fobutv which will broadcast Olympics in 4K HDR. I called these guys but they told me that it might not be available in Canada because NBC does not have rights to broadcast in Canada. I am not sure if I use VPN on my apple TV to get Olympics in 4K?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until this winter's games in Beijing to start 4K Olympic broadcasts. From what I understand, winter outdraws summer ratings wise in Canada and especially with NHL players coming back to the Olympics, there will be strong demand to have these games in 4K.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I tried FuboTV. FuboTV Canada does not include much. You have to use VPN pointing to US to enable all channels but then package is very expensive. Cheapest package is $64 US. So I have settle for low resolution content unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I tried FuboTV. FuboTV Canada does not include much. You have to use VPN pointing to US to enable all channels but then package is very expensive. Cheapest package is $64 US. So I have settle for low resolution content unfortunately.
Low resolution? How times change. Now 720 and 1080 whatever are considered low resolution? Give me a break!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Low resolution? How times change. Now 720 and 1080 whatever are considered low resolution? Give me a break!
Sorry for calling it low resolution because getting spoiled with 4k content available these days. Actually, TV transmission in Canada is only 720P and not 1080P then again our cable companies further mess it up with compression etc. There is very limited 4k transmission of hockey and baseball games in Canada. That is why I called it low resolution. There is huge difference in quality between 720P and 4K.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry for calling it low resolution because getting spoiled with 4k content available these days. Actually, TV transmission in Canada is only 720P and not 1080P then again our cable companies further mess it up with compression etc. There is very limited 4k transmission of hockey and baseball games in Canada. That is why I called it low resolution. There is huge difference in quality between 720P and 4K.
Here is the good news. Sportsnet is indeed broadcasting olympics opening ceremony in 4K.

Reactions: Dr.Dave

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts

1 - 20 of 58 Posts