Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canada's games will be on The Score live at 6 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday against Slovenia and Korea, respectively. They'll be showing them on tape delay later each day.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for the post. I was wondering if any of our games would be shown. I read in the paper this morning that Angola and Iran :confused: (among others) have qualified for the Olympics. If we aren't better than those two, we don't deserve a spot in the Olympics.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Angola got in as the African champions and Iran got in as the Asian champions. That's just how it works when we are in with the United States and Argentina. That is the reason why some people think the European Football Championships are a better quality than the World Cup.

·
Super Moderator
4,506 Posts
Quite the comeback... from down 18 points to winning over Korea by 2.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Dalembert released by the team though.

Man I hate Rautins, even if it was Sams fault, I still hate Leo. :)

Like Nash said, Canada Basketball is a joke.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Great to see this thread going! I cancelled my TV service for the summer, so please keep this going and keep me updated.

Any link or detailed info as to Dalembert's release?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I never read or heard of Nash making that knid of statement. If he had it would be all over the news. I think there is a mix up here. Nash was a stalwart for Canada a couple of Olympics ago.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Im sorry, I actaully thought I recalled Nash saying that, but I cant find any source if he did, I would edit my post above, but I guess I cant.

Makes no difference, awful game against Croatia. Hope this leads to the firing of Rautins.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I don't think firing Leo would do much good. You can't expect to be very competitive at the international level when training camp didn't start until three weeks ago! Personally, I think Leo is wasting his time with this program as much as I like international basketball. We only had one NBA player on the team and he was kicked off; all the others are either playing in Europe or in college here. As far as the earlier comments about Steve Nash are concerned, I doubt very much he would say that publicly, but I have always had the feeling he has always felt that way.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Joel Anthony is an NBA player too, but he's not a starter like Dalembert.

Point guard is the most important position in international basketball. Jermaine Anderson is a decent point guard, but not good enough to take Canada to the Olympics. The results were as expected, but Canada didn't look good in the tournament.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The one thing I've never really understood is why hockey players almost always want to play for Team Canada at both the Olympics and World Cups, but basketball players usually are not interested. I know Steve Nash put in a lot of time to the National Team and I have a lot of respect for him, but Joe Sakic or Mario Lemieux never turn down the invitation to play, even when they are a hurt. If Nash and Jamaal Magloire were to play in either this qualifying event or last year's Americas Championship we would be at the Olympics. I think a lineup of

C - Samuel Dalembert
F - Jamaal Magloire (he usually plays Centre, but I assume he could play PF too)
F - Denham Brown
G - Steve Nash
G - Andy Rautins

could make the Olympics easily.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one thing I've never really understood is why hockey players almost always want to play for Team Canada at both the Olympics and World Cups, but basketball players usually are not interested.
Canada wins things in international hockey, and international hockey is a lot more popular in Canada than international basketball. Those are a couple of reasons.

Lemieux did skip a Canada Cup and World Cup. Like Nash, he had a lot of back problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts