Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh oh! OLN (formerly the Outdoor Life Network) is now airing Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, and The Simpsons, sharing with FX Canada.

They are turning the beloved station for everything the great outdoors into yet another zombie channel.

· Super Moderator
59,108 Posts
Are the fine folks at Rogers Sports & Media planning to replace OLN with FX on analogue cable service providers, or is this a new method!
Analogue Cable has been dead for years. I and others have no idea what you are attempting to achieve with your numerous nonsensical posts.

· Registered
862 Posts
Why are people putting up with this and paying for it? What's the point, just shut it down. The channel obviously has low viewership, so this is how they maximize their profits by not purchasing original programming. Soon, all the FAST services will have all the eyeballs because they are free

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Its probably still in enough bundles to be worth not shutting down, but doesn't have enough viewership to put any effort into. So it's zombie channel rerun hell until that is no longer profitable.

Just part of the wasteland of cable TV.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
If prime time is all reruns every day, it's probably a zombie.

If the reruns are marked new but are all on other channels earlier in the week, it's probably a zombie.

If it rarely runs any new shows or those that are shown are low budget, it's probably a zombie.

Last but not least, if the channel makes a profit simply by carrying cheap reruns, being bundled with other popular channels and is loaded with repetitive ads that are also on other zombie channels, it's a probably zombie.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What were the folks at Rogers Sports and Media thinking about?

The shows the channel is broadcasting from FX Networks Canada are funny, but this new rule is very dangerous, and can cause a major decline in some viewership.

It probably won't be shutting down anytime soon. It'll be a backup of FX Canada for providers that don't have it yet.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
FX Networks has been going downhill for some time. FX has a number of exclusive shows on their streaming service in the US. That's a sure sign they are siphoning off their best shows to promote their streaming service and getting ready to wind down their specialty TV channels.

· Registered
862 Posts
Both FX and FXX Canada seem pretty zombie to me. They both seem to have the same programming for the most part. All they seem to air is Chicago Med, Chicago PD and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia night after night. I'm glad I don't subscribe to it. OLN is worse even, their whole schedule is pretty much only 3 shows, The Family Guy, The Simpsons and Impractical Jokers.

· Registered
389 Posts
This should come to no surprise to any Canadian who has subscribed to any Canadian BDU in the last 15 years. Think about how many channels are just a former shell of themselves, in either the U.S. or Canada. Obviously the Canadian versions are much much worse. One prime example is the Canadian version of Adult Swim.

I was so pumped when it replaced Action in 2019, but of course, I had my hopes up for nothing. With Adult swim's vast library of shows, I was hopeful they were going to air some more obscure shows that haven't aired for a few years, but no, its literally the same 7-8 shows rotated with the same episodes aired throughout the day. Family Guy has been on the air for 23 years, do they REALLY have to air the same 2 episodes 4 times a day? A lot of channels do that. And Its not sicking, especially for what Bell/Rogers/Telus/Shaw want monthly for cable.

· Registered
862 Posts
Another channel that has gone totally down the tubes is HLN. They now air only Forensic Files and a co-broadcast of CNN's morning news and that's it. Rogers wants $7/month as a standalone. Forensic Files is totally FREE on various FAST services like Pluto Tv.

· Registered
4,502 Posts
I can't watch linear television. The price and the non stop ads is so obnoxious. I mean, in a given half hour you are likely going to be subjected to 10+ minutes of ads. When I was a kid, most first run half hour shows where 23-25 minutes and syndicated being closer to 22 minutes. I've seen episodes of Young Sheldon that don't even crack 18 minutes.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
I feel the same way, bigoranget, and the only time that I watch linear TV is for for sports and news programming. I think a lot of it, at least for me, has to do with being “spoiled” by ad free streaming, but then, as you said, the ads are far worse now than they were in the past.

· Registered
11,372 Posts
Traditional broadcasters are facing a shortage of good programming that can be licensed. The increased intrusion of ads has two main causes, a decline in viewers and advertising revenues, and the use of PVRs.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
I can't watch linear television. The price and the non stop ads is so obnoxious. I mean, in a given half hour you are likely going to be subjected to 10+ minutes of ads. When I was a kid, most first run half hour shows where 23-25 minutes and syndicated being closer to 22 minutes. I've seen episodes of Young Sheldon that don't even crack 18 minutes.
Seriously, this. I only have it because they made me a deal when I went to cancel it that made it basically free. Still not a very good value. :p

My son hates it even more. He basically won't watch anything on there at all unless there is no other way to do it. Seems to be common for kids: linear TV is an afterthought that they're not interested in at all.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts