Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Classic KYA Radio

It's been a while since we have talked about "new" found oldies radio stations. I've been listening to one lately on the internet: KYA, an AM Sterio broadcasting station licensed on 1260 kHz at San Francisco, California. You can find it here at:

Oldies Radio 1260 KYA - Golden Gate Great Oldies - Oldies Music

"Now, Gary Mora's CLASSIC 1260 KYA RADIO returns as your personal time machine, taking you back to the 1960s and 1970s (and even the 1950s!) with your favorite Golden Gate Greats and memories of cruising with your buddies, diggin' a drive-in movie on Friday night, checking out the funny cars at Fremont Drag Strip on Saturday, hanging out at Golden Gate Park, heading over to Playland At The Beach and all the things you loved about being a kid ... without the homework!"

"It was May 1, 1958, when San Francisco's original 1260/KYA first burst on the Bay Area scene with the greatest Top 40 music played anywhere. Over the next quarter century, popular personalities like Emperor Gene Nelson, Russ "The Moose" Syracuse, "Big Daddy" Tom Donahue, Johnny Holliday, Tom Campbell, Chris Edwards, Bwana Johnny, Mike Cleary, Gary Shaffer and Ed Hider and helped elevate the original 1260 KYA to legendary status."

If you enjoy oldies radio, give it a listen.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think there is something similar on Sirius. I don't listen to it as it isn't my style of music or radio, but Howard Stern forever goofs on Cousin Brucie, and I heard a commercial for Cousin Brucie on the 50s channel. I enjoy having Sirius very much, but I do miss a little bit of the DJ talking in between songs. I tend to listen to Lithium, 90s Grunge/Alternative, Octane, new rock, Liquid Metal, heavy metal and I forget what they call channel 41, 90s/early 2000s rock and a lot of it is automation. It seems that they have about two DJs that float between the four stations and do a little bit of chatter between songs, but not enough to make them seem like real radio stations. I love the commercial free aspect of it (except for Howard Stern which isn't commercial free for some reason), but I do like a little bit of the DJ in between songs.

Unfortunately, here in Saskatoon, the musical selections are terrible, so listening to terrestrial radio, except for post-game coverage of sports is not worth my time. I get we are a small market, but when four of the five commercial stations overlap their music libraries it is tough to listen to. A great terrestrial station for rock music is 106.1 The Goat from Lloydminster. Shocking that a small market would be better than a larger market like Saskatoon, but it is true. I think the thing is they give the DJs more freedom for their music than more corporate Saskatoon. Likely because the advertisers in Lloydminster have no real other options, whereas in Saskatoon if you played Master of Puppets by Metallica at 3 PM on a Wednesday, you might get blow back. Whereas in Lloyd, the sponsors want to be heard by that stations demographics and there is no alternative to reach them. It could also be that Saskatoon stations are more corporate in nature and of course have their music libraries set in a larger city. Whereas The Goat, while being part of a chain of stations, isn't nearly as corporately run.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
KYA has been my favourite oldies station for a few months now. I find that KYA accurately reflects the west coast "psychedelic" sound that was popular on many AM stations in the mid to late 1960s, including the station in the small city where I lived.

Rewound Radio is also good. Rewound Radio is more of a big city top 40 sound and is owned by WABC. WABC is an AM station that has one of the few high power frequencies that allow AM radio coverage of the eastern half of the continent. WABC dates back to 1953 and started broadcasting top 40 music to the New York market in 1960. Rewound Radio's content reflects music of that era.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts