Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually do computer work including housecalls, but sometimes I stray in to TV territory for easy things. Today I got called over to a little old lady's house because she couldn't get her TV to work after her family had been visiting. As I suspected it was set on the wrong input. I fixed things up and was soon on my way. On my way out the door, she said thanks, because she needed to have the TV working before she could sell it.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that nobody would ever buy her low end 27" CRT set.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
^^^^
I gave two analog TVs to Goodwill years ago. When I took the 2nd one in, after buying my 2nd HDTV, they told me it was unlikely they could sell it, but took it anyway. That was about 7-8 years ago.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Most charities in my area won't take CRT TV's anymore. The only people I know with them are retro-gamers who like them for old video game or computer systems.

I see the odd one on Kijiji for sale or at the end of someone's driveway for free in my area. It's amazing how in less than 30 years how much the prices have come down and the quality has gone up on televisions.

A 27" would have been a good size TV in the 1980's.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Most charities I am aware will take them but they take to the recycle center where they gt 10 cents pound for scrap.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have an old CRT TV that works BEAUTIFULLY, its a perfectly working TV, nothing wrong with it, except the fact I do not need a set top box for my basement to save money so im cancelling it and sending it back, and now I have to find a way to give away this TV or donate it to good will or charity

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I even tried giving it away to this family who is actually very poor, and they flat out refused a FREE TV, and despite them being poor, they said they would rather BUY a new flatscreen even if it means they have to live off debt for another few months they would rather do that then take away this gloriously perfectly working fine tube tv from me. wow tough choices, some people would rather make themself more in debt just to have a flat screen over a FREE crt tv

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
A CRT may be free from a capital cost standpoint, however, it is far from free regarding operating costs. A larger CRT may use as much as 200W, however, it depends on the amount of white on screen and how much the TV is on. On average an LED typically uses less than half of the equivalent size CRT.

If the TV is on much of the day, the additional cost of a CRT could be $100-$200/year depending on power costs/location, etc. Also, most CRTs are SD and 4:3, not HD. Most people would prefer the latter.

Interestingly, the power consumption from new TVs has not gone down because people have more of them and typically purchase much larger ones. In addition, most people have a variety of STBs hooked up too.

Eight years ago, I couldn't give away my perfectly functioning 61" HDTV RPTV either. Most people put their RPTVs (and CRTs) out to the curb and someone came by and picked it up, perhaps for parts. Same with the CRT I gave to my father. When it came time to move him to assisted living a few years back, we had to put it out to the curb because no one wanted it. He kept his 40" LCD HDTV for his new, smaller place.

What really bothered me was that I couldn't get my 7 year old 65" plasma repaired last year. No one would repair it.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-...espan-am-i-being-unrealistic.html#post2905569

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
The power savings with LED backlight LCD TVs are probably greater than 50%. For example, my 43" LCD is rated at 1.5A but actual draw is about 0.65A on a watt meter. That's about 2/3 an equivalent fluorescent backlight LCD TV and 1/3 that of a comparable CRT projection or plasma TV.

Electricity usage of an LCD/LED Display or TV Screen Scroll down about a page to see the chart. Note that power draw for LED LCD sets are typically 1/4 to 1/3 that of an equivalent CRT set. Then there are the connectivity, weight and picture quality issues. CRT sets just look bad compared to modern flat panel sets and moving them is a chore. Moving anything over 27" in a CRT set needs more than one person and a van.

LED backlight LCD panels themselves can be very efficient compared to CRT. My 27" LED LCD monitor draws 20w (as measured) and is lukewarm at the hottest external surface. (It's set to power savings mode.) Compare that to a 27" CRT monitor from 15 or 20 years ago. Those things were like space heaters and uncomfortable hot to touch in places. I had a 19" CRT monitor that drew about 150w.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
energy use all aside it just boggles my mind that someone who is poor and in debt would pass on something free. maybe because they are poor they wont use the tv too much to save on hydro anyways? we all know tube tvs use more hydro yeah but its free and someone who needs a tv flat out refused because they want a higher end tv, there is a name for that, its called GREEDY

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
There was a time in my life when my family was POOR, we had very little money and when it came down to me getting clothes to wear for school and such, I did NOT want to wear the high end designer brand name clothes and shoes like all the rest of my class I had to settle for cheap low end stuff and my parents would buy from Bargain Harrolds or Bi-way because that is all we could afford and I had no problem with it, mean while all my friends were wearing hundred dollar pair of reebok pump shoes or nike airs etc, and had sports apparel this and that. and if someone wanted to give us something for free we would gladly take it and not turn it down cus we were poor. poor people stay poor cus they act like theyre rich.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The people I know that have the most "stuff" are actually the poorest people I know.

I've taken lots of used items in my lifetime even though I could afford new. My house is full of "white" appliances that people I know discarded that look and worked fine because they wanted Stainless steel appliances. In over 20 years of home ownership, I've never bought a major appliance because people want shiny new toys.

It's too bad that some items, like TV's need to have conversion boxes, or other methods to keep them useful as a washing machine or oven.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
@Paolo: Some good insights in your posting. When No Frills grocery stores started they were first put by Loblaws in poorer neighborhoods on the assumption that lower income people would shop there. They didn't do well because the poor people didn't want to be seen going into a low price store. They then put their No Frills into well off neighborhoods and the concept took off. It seems rich people didn't care where they were seen shopping. All they wanted to do was save money and didn't care how they did it. Your last sentence rings true.

As for old TVs I have a Sony CRT (SD) Wega 32" that weighs 175 lbs. It is currently in use in the bedroom. I have it hooked up to a Bell 9242 satellite receiver that lets it show both SD and HD programming, the latter of course in SD only. The Sony Trinitron picture is still excellent but as my wife asked recently, "What are we going to do when it breaks down?". My answer was that I'd arrange to have it hauled to the local electronic recycling depot. It's sad but no one is going to want it for anything.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
True, Oh well, I guess if no one wants the TV I will e-recycle it. Last time I tried to recycle an electronic I was given a hard time by miller waste and recycling, I told them I was dropping off a bunch of old computer towers, printers, monitors, etc, and they said drive on thru, i recycled them then on my way out they weighed my car and told me to pay $100 dollars then I told them I had e-waste so it should be free, then they waived the $100 dollar fee and let me move along, wow $100 for tossing a bunch of old electronics is definitely discouraging if they charged by weight.

I only said half the sentence earlier. the rest is as follows:

Rich people stay rich by acting like they're poor and poor people stay poor by acting like they are rich.

I am sure you know a few people who seem to live in such manner. even when it comes to cell phones the most broke people I know somehow always end up getting the latest iPhone X which retails for $1450 outright purchase, not to mention you need a minimum $120 a month monthly fees for the next 2 years.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yeah thanks, there was no charge for the one close to where I live too but the staff was confused and tried to charge based on the weight differential of my car. I will deal with it when time comes aka spring cleaning

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
we all know tube tvs use more hydro yeah but its free and someone who needs a tv flat out refused because they want a higher end tv, there is a name for that, its called GREEDY
It's also practical. The disposal of that heavy, bulky CRT TV becomes their problem when it fails, which probably won't be long.

I remember my dad occasionally coming home with barely working or broken CRT TVs that he had been given. He asked me to fix them, which I accomplished sometimes. Some were only good for spare parts. Had more fun fixing them than watching them.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
That pretty much sums it up. I'd take issue with a couple of things.

Furniture tends to sell and, unless it's particularly badly made or ugly, tends to hold some value. Some styles of furniture, even very crudely made, can fetch ridiculous prices from some people. Furniture is like fashion, some of it never goes out of style and today's unwanted items could become a desirable antique in 50 years. Other stuff, like used office desks and chairs, are usually worthless and will remain so.

The same does for certain technology items. Digital discs are considered garbage now but so were vinyl LPs 20 years ago. Once something becomes rare enough, collectors will pay big bucks for old favourites. The same holds true for books. Some people still love an old first edition. Unfortunately, 99% of used books are will remain worthless once off the best sellers list.

I find the best approach is to sell items as soon as they are identified as not being used. A lot of professional "de-clutter" experts recommend getting rid of items that haven't been used for a year. That way, they may still hold some value and can be sold. Storing them in the basement or garage pretty much guarantees they will become a worthless pile of junk.

And finally,
A dated bedroom set is harder to get rid of than a used mattress. Mattress stores will take away your old mattress when you buy a new one.
Many will not remove used mattresses any more. They are afraid of contaminating their trucks with bedbugs. There will always be someone who will take an ugly bedroom set, even if it's just until they can afford one they like. Also, there's no accounting for taste. Someone else might like it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I called Value Village and they told me they do not accept CRT TV's any more, so I called my brother in law and took my TV to his condominium complex, they have a room for waste collection and they have a special area in that room specifically for electronic waste collection. He had no problem with taking the TV off my hands and putting it for E-waste collection. The reason I wanted to get rid of it is that I have 2 small kids and they play in the basement and they can easily push or pull on the tv stand and this huge honkin TV can fall down on top of them and cause serious injury or even death. I have inherited a flat screen TV from my grandfather's estate when he passed away recently and I will be installing it on the wall securely so to avoid any possible dangers

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I remember I had a 36” Sony Wega tv. Mint condition and it worked great. If it wasn't so heavy id have taken it to Sarcan for recycling but I ended up selling it for $60 buyer had to pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts