Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Does anyone have a pdf of the programming packages when Bell had Basic Channels ($59.50), Theme Packs, Specialty HD etc? Not sure of the year when these were around but it's likely been at least 10 years.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
2006 would have been the 9200 PVR. The 9242 was released about 2 years later.

I believe Bell introduced the full time US HD Networks, both east and west, in 2004. PBS was the main satellite feed. Before that the just has 1 or 2 multiplexed channels. They also added a part time multiplexed channel with a mix of TMN, HDNet and other HD programming. It was free to existing HD customers. New HD subscribers were charged $10/mo. The 6000 HD receiver cost $800 + installation. Ouch. :eek:

2006 sounds about right for them adding HDNet and one full time TMN HD channel along with a couple of Canadian HD channels. I believe one of them was Discovery Channel. New HD subscribers were charged $10. TMN HD was included with a TMN subscription. Legacy subscribers still got the US HD Nets free but were charged $10 if they wanted the new channels. That would have been the first time they actually created a package other than the US HD Nets.

The HD selection was expanded a couple of years after that with 4 packages of 2 or 3 channels each. I believe it was $10 for 1 or $15 for 3 theme packs. One of them was sports and included TSN. Don't recall any of the other theme pack names or channels. I believe the US HD Nets were included with any of the HD theme packs.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Does anyone have a pdf of the programming packages when Bell had Basic Channels ($59.50)
I don't recall Bell ever charging $59.50 for the basic package. That would have included several theme packs and was probably around 2006-2010. I believe I cancelled in 2012 and they were still selling theme packs. They switched to the big bundles a year or two later.

·
Super Moderator
16,851 Posts
I found a couple of old PDFs. I might have more.

Dec. 30, 2004
Digital Standard $25
Theme Packs $5. pick 4 get 1 free.
HD Value Pack $10/mo, includes networks and HD upgrade if you choose TSN, Sportsnet, Premium Movies, Discovery HD

January 1, 2009 - Rest of Canada
DIGITAL ESSENTIALS $59
Free HD and time shifting
Includes choice of 6 theme packs.

·
Super Moderator
16,851 Posts
@slash I found another one dated July 8, 2005 that looks similar to 2004.

Followup to 2009 - free HD only applied to networks, premium movies, Centre Ice, NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA Extra Innings and several French specialties.

HD theme packs were: Any 1 HD Theme Pack $5, Any 4 HD Theme Packs $10 Any 5 HD Theme Packs $15.
HD SPORTS, MORE HD SPORTS, HD VARIETY, MORE HD VARIETY, HD WORLD. HDNet included with all HD Theme Packs.

Is this of any use to you and would you like any specific info, or is it too recent?

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
That sounds right. My recollection was a little fuzzy. Sometime soon after 2009 Bell went crazy with price increases. That 2009 $59 package was close to $90 by 2012. By that time I'd had enough. What started out as a bargain priced TV service around 10 years earlier had turned into the most expensive service in Canada. I see that's up to about $120 now. Never mind the reduction in picture quality and all the reliability issues during the HD expansion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@drdave. Please send me the PDFs you have. They would be very useful. One of the things I am trying to figure out is which package hgtv sd is located in as the online change tool only shows the hd version. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,851 Posts
"LIFESTYLE 1" had HGTV SD - the HD version wasn't available in 2009. The PDFs are too big to attach, I'll explore further.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,851 Posts
I created a folder on Google Drive and uploaded 3 ExpressVu brochures from that time frame, so anyone can access them. I also have a few more from 2004 and early 2005, but they're all similar. They were stored under various names in a download folder I archived from an old computer.

Expressvu2005Jul.pdf
Expressvu2006Jul.pdf
Expressvu2009Jan.pdf

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sYehwqhfj0I-vE2Z_ZdWonltiSG2xG_C

·
Registered
1 Posts
I created a folder on Google Drive and uploaded 3 ExpressVu brochures from that time frame, so anyone can access them. I also have a few more from 2004 and early 2005, but they're all similar. They were stored under various names in a download folder I archived from an old computer.

Expressvu2005Jul.pdf
Expressvu2006Jul.pdf
Expressvu2009Jan.pdf

BellExpressvu - Google Drive
Thank You for this info as I am about to begin a fight with Bell over my satellite service as I am still on the 2009 theme package and have experienced channels disappearing. My google search did come up with a document on the history of Bell TV price increases since 1997. The document was found on the Public Interest Advocacy Centre website.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts