Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old BEV 3100... bought brand new several years ago... installed and connected to my HTPC [HP Pavilion M7248n running MCE 2005 sp3]

all of a sudden end January i started to receive white noise... its only on TV... everything that's not BEV runs fine even the shows recorded prior to 31 jan are fine... its just newly recorded programming since end Jan 2011 that are filled with annoying white noise that wont go away...

I've tried all my ac3 filters, 5.1 dolby etc all to no effect... I cant watch TV anymore from this reciever, so I phoned Bell and asked them to ship me a new receiver but they told me I'm in an unserviceable area and they cant ship me one [I'm in Tumbler Ridge, BC]...

my 5800 in the main room works just fine... it seems to be only my 3100...
I've done everything i can think of to fix this to no avail with exception to checking the LNB outside...

any help with this would be huge...
maybe advice on how to get bell to ship a new receiver to an old time subscriber... i fear they seriously don't want my money anymore and i may have to oblige them.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I take it the output you are using on the 3100 is RF, Channel 3. Is it possible that the switch on the back has been moved to Channel 4.?

Can you check the 3100 at the 5900 location. White Noise, is not normally an LNBF issue it is an output issue from the receiver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope this makes sense

I'm not hooking up through RF... channels 3 or 4
I use RCA connectors [red to red, white to white and yellow to yellow] from the BEV 3100 to the TV tuner card on the computer.
Video is from the HP Pavilion computer via DVI / DVI cable from the computer to the Magnavox flat panel TV...

speakers & sound run from the computer system [HP Pavilion M7248n] which runs MCE 2005 sp3

I rebuilt the system 3-4 times now hoping that would fix it but it didn't work.

I did try hooking the 3100 up directly to the TV and the sound was fine, so the white noise is emanating somewhere from the receiver to computer.

HP tech support has told me its a known QAM ?? issue from satellite set top boxes... to shutdown all systems including the 3100 remove the card and leave it out for an extended period, which i did to no avail. They then advised me to contact Bell which i did... and in that discussion i tried to get a new box to see if that would fix it but then they told me they couldn't ship it because I'm in an unserviceable area.

taking the 5900 out and trying the 3100 in its place is a seriously monstrous task that i would prefer not to have to try...

I'm seriously considering moving to an FTA system... Bell tech support has always been a disaster area... they love to take your money tho...

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I do not see this as a Bell problem at all, if the 3100 works perfectly directly on the TV, it is good.

As for QAM, that is a red herring, the Red White & Yellow cables (Composite) are Analogue, QAM is Digital.

If you really want a new Receiver, buy one on-line, have it shipped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts