Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have this old computer that has integrated graphics and I would like to buy a pci graphics card.

The motherboard is an INTEL D845GLAD..I'm wondering what would be the best yet affordable pci graphics to install?

Hope you guys can help, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
What are you looking for in terms of a separate video card? More display inputs? Video decoding? Light gaming?

Doing a quick search on NCIX, I saw that the "best" PCI cards they offer are cards like the Radeon 4350 or the Geforce 9400. I don't think they would be worth the $70-$90 asking price.

I don't think any of these cards would do much to help offload h.264 or Blue-Ray processing off the CPU either.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
If it were me, I'd leave that PC alone for the purposes that can can use its onboard graphics, and buy or build a new PC for what I need to do that it cannot, or at least get a motherboard that can use an AGP or PCI-E graphics card.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
BGY11 has good comments. I have that era of card and HD video is not good on my desktop.

Light gaming might be OK.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Having been building/upgrading my PC's since 1992 adding RAM has been good but adding a new video card is like buying a new computer! I looked at tigerdirect quickly, cheapest PCI card is 58 bucks, I think you should buy the highest VRAM card you can afford...BGY11 asked the right questions, what are you trying to do? The MB is circa 2004 and will probably not run HD movies or high end games (eg:Crysis) but will improve the overall PC experience, faster web/email, streaming video's and such...if you have a 15" CRT monitor (SVGA) you will not get the visual benefits, consider a 19" LCD with your purchase!

I would go with a used $40 256 VRAM PCI card, I just sold a Radeon X800XL which cost me 425 bucks when I bought it, got 40 bucks for it, I think it would perform better than a new 75 dollar card, IMHO

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That system should also take an AGP card. Gigabyte has a Radeon 4650 for under $100. That should perform better than the PCI cards mentioned for about the same money. PCI and AGP cards cost more due to the extra components needed (compared to PCIe cards.) A used AGP card might be a better bet. There should be lots around, though top end cards might be difficult to find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking into one because for one, the picture quality is blurry around the edges( could be the monitor, its 15in), I was thinking of purchasing a new monitor; therefore, to be able to display the higher resolution, I would think I need a graphics card rather than the on board graphics.(I could be wrong) I do have adobe cs4(after effects) and a 3d program, where I would like to be able to render much smoothly. I may play some games but that is not my main concern.....oh and more display inputs would be beneficial.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
A blurry image is due to a poorly configured video adapter or a failing monitor. Sounds more like a CRT monitor that is struggling to keep up with the video card. What screen resolution and refresh rate are you using? Also, what monitor are you using? That chipset is limited to 1280x1024 as far as I can tell.

A lot of people are happy with the Diablotek Radeon 9000 Video Card in their older P4 systems. Google it. Just make sure your monitor will support the resolutions you want.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That board doesn't have an AGP slot - just 4 PCI slots.
You are correct. I looked it up on Intel's site but must have seen the wrong product info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the refresh rate is 60mhz....the monitor I have is a samsung syncmaster 151s...the max resolution on my monitor is 1024 x 768.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
You can bump that refresh rate up to 75Hz but I doubt you will see an improvement. The ONLY resolution you should be running is 1024x768. Anything else and the image will look fuzzy. Since the on-board video is more than capable of driving that monitor to its max resolution a new video card will not help.

If you still think the video card/cable is defective at fault then try hooking your monitor up to another PC or use another cable to rule those out.

Samsung Syncmaster 151s Specifications
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-151s/4507-3174_7-7095959.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts