Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 833 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
57 said:
It is my understanding that the major US cable companies also don't compress. It has been mentioned that some cable companies that are short on bandwidth do compress, but let's not make any "blanket statements" that give the incorrect impression.
I appreciate the clarification. I apologize if what I said came across as a blanket statement; it wasn't my intention. Poor wording.

I always considered if it wasn't RAW then it's compressed. Just not good with the technicalities of this stuff.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Even if the HD signal isn't compressed there is the issue of compressing the SD signal, is there not. What is the bitrate for 480i 4x3? I am assuming that Rogers uses about 6.7Mbps since that is 1/3 the bitrate of HD and 3 channels fit into the space of 1 HD channel. But does 6.7Mbps SD look as good as SD sent on an HD channel - not on my TV.

·
Registered
830 Posts
meshmellow said:
I'm wondering if we will be getting CBC-HD from Vancouver on Shaw cable, starting March 5th?!?!

On CBC's high definition information page:

http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv/index.html

If you click on "HDTV mandate"

You'll see:

"The CBC will begin broadcasting in HDTV on March 5, 2005 in both Toronto and Vancouver."

meshmellow

I guess it was a typo, because now I see the wording has been altered to say "The CBC will begin broadcasting in HDTV on March 5, 2005 in both Toronto and Montreal." :(

meshmellow

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
I'll be recording Rick Mercer and Newsroom tonight to see what happens. Currently the news is 4:3. The audio is DD5.1, but not properly encoded. (my recording has already started (set to end at 9PM) since no programming shows up today, but does for later in the week)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
nfitz said:
Hmm, just noticed this on CBC's HDTV site:
http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv/hdtimes/winter2005.pdf

Must have just gone up, as the PDF file is dated last Friday afternoon, internally.

Some interesting information about what they are doing!

Nick
Good catch! Thanks for that Nick, it answers most of my questions about the March 5 launch. Is CBC using 1080i or 720p?

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
The Toronto Broadcast Centre’s HD video distribution standard will be 1080i/29.97 format. The HD audio distribution standard will be eight discrete channels reserving channels 7 and 8 for DV or “Descriptive Video”, a feature that provides audio commentary to describe various elements of a show for the visually impaired. At the end of the HD signal path a Dolby AC-3 Encoder that will encode audio for distribution.
From the PDF.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The Toronto Broadcast Centre’s HD video distribution standard will be
1080i/29.97 format.
Huh?!

There is a specific HD format known as
24p which has been designed for optimum
cross and downconversion flexibility to a
number of formats including film and the
50 frame world.
Oh to hope that CBC supports [email protected]!

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
The Newsroom appeared to be in HD tonight. Coronation Street at 7:30 was shown in widescreen but SD (I believe). The CBC is taking the HD lead in Canada and they haven't even (officially) launched their channels yet!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wayne said:
Coronation Street at 7:30 was shown in widescreen but SD (I believe).
What they are doing for Coronation street is taking their 14:9 letterbox version that they received from the UK, and are zooming it to 16:9. This is not the true Widescreen version, and I hope they obtain the 16:9 anamorphic masters from the UK soon.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The Newsroom was in HD last night. I thought the PQ was good...as good as most US series on US HD channels. The audio seemed a little flat.

The PQ on Rick Mercer was also good althought the format was 4:3. Overall the SD PQ has been quite good so I wonder if they have converted al lot of their facilities to digital.

The HD programming curve in Canada, which has been flat for quite a while, just took a jump.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Battscrew, no word from ExpressVu although the CBC newsletter suggests that Bell will have it so I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on the guide later this week.

·
Registered
53 Posts
otown47 said:
The PQ on Rick Mercer was also good althought the format was 4:3. Overall the SD PQ has been quite good so I wonder if they have converted al lot of their facilities to digital.
Yes, it’s surprising how much more vibrant and defined the SD PQ is compared to the CBC analog side. At least it is on my Sony GWIII LCD were analog and digital stations look ok at best.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
note to padlock, your post was deleted. I don't see how macroblocking on TMN has to do with CBC introducing HDTV.

note to others, stay on topic.

101 - 120 of 833 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.