Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
801 - 820 of 833 Posts

·
Banned
135 Posts
So Ottawa is out! Now we will see if CBC can really commit to HD in Edmonton. I'm sure it will break their heart to put the red HD beside an Edmonton game - if they even do. I've e-mailed CBC several times on the HD issue and they don't even have the b**ls to answer.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/tvschedule.html

The next issue will be whether or not Cherry and McLean can be bothered to leave Toronto to cover a game. No big loss if they don't. I'm a bit tired of the Cherry story about defense men deflecting shots. They do it sucessfully 95% of the time, and goalies love them for it. Cherry is as out of touch as CBC is.

Alberta is where it is at.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Ron AKA said:
So Ottawa is out!
Don't rub it in. :( How can a team constantly do so well in the regular season and consistently get knocked out early in the playoffs? :confused: At least it looks like Edmonton has a very good shot at making it to the next round.

Now we will see if CBC can really commit to HD in Edmonton.
I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning. If the truck left Ottawa yesterday it should be able to make it to Edmonton for Wednesdays game (driving 12 hours a day, they could do it in 3.5 days).

·
Registered
407 Posts
roger1818 said:
Don't rub it in. :( How can a team constantly do so well in the regular season and consistently get knocked out early in the playoffs? :confused: At least it looks like Edmonton has a very good shot at making it to the next round.

I was thinking about this on my way to work this morning. If the truck left Ottawa yesterday it should be able to make it to Edmonton for Wednesdays game (driving 12 hours a day, they could do it in 3.5 days).
One word, alfredson get a new captain. Being scored on in OT on a PP is embarassing.

Secondly, game6 will not be in HD. It is simply not worth it to drive out there in case edmonton manages to loose the series (lets hope not) and they have to drive all the way back.

If Edmonton wins the series edmonton/anaheim will be HD. If not carolina/buffalo will be HD.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Another year goes by and here's what CBC-HD has to offer:

* CBC-HD web site still contains the same year and a half old "HD Times Newsletter"

* CBC-HD schedule has dropped from an average of 1 hour per week a year ago to zero hours per week

* CBC-HD coverage of Stanley Cup covers only 1 eastern team at a time, then stops abruptly when both eastern teams are eliminated

* films and features, even those that should be readily available in HD format, continue to be shown in low-def

I'm sure someone will say (as they do every year) "Be patient, let them make some progress". But how many years can we let zero progress be acceptable?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Marc said:
When possible, we get the HD version of a film. It's not always easy. There are often extra fees, special contracts and other complications.
With all due respect I would say "So...?" I can't shirk my obligations because the price of parking went up a quarter or there are weather 'complications'.

I'm sorry to be so frank, but there seems to be a lot of thin excuses around CBC-HD's total dearth of actual HD programming. The "extra fees" should be covered in the CBC's generous funding. The "special contracts" take a minute to sign and 2 minutes to fax both ways. The other complications I'm trying to imagine, but if countless other HD channels have been able to master this, I'm sure a global broadcast leader like CBC ought to be able to sort such things out.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Now it is in HD. No idea what is going on. Is this a BEV problem, CBC, or ?? Does anybody know what is happening? I've seen this happen before. Do they have to rent bandwidth and they haven't paid their bill, or they have forgotten what time the game is on?

·
Registered
62 Posts
They switched it to WS, I don't think it's in HD.

Seems to a problem with CBC as I'm on Shaw and had the same issue as everyone else.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ron AKA said:
Now it is in HD.
The game is in widescreen SD. I am curious as to what kind of tv, and what size screen you are watching on. I'm on Bell, and I'm watching on a 42 inch HD plasma. The broadcast looks very bad compared to real HD. Perhaps my tv does a poor job of rendering standard definition.

·
Banned
135 Posts
lars said:
The game is in widescreen SD. I am curious as to what kind of tv, and what size screen you are watching on. I'm on Bell, and I'm watching on a 42 inch HD plasma. The broadcast looks very bad compared to real HD. Perhaps my tv does a poor job of rendering standard definition.
My equipment is listed to the left. I have noticed for some time that CBC widescreen seems to lack the clarity of other HD. Not sure what they are really doing, but it went from oldscreen to widescreen part way through the game.

·
Registered
1 Posts
oilers round 3 coverage

cbc has on its schedule that the oilers vs ducks games will be in HD only in Anahiem. Who's equip are they using? Also, why dont they bring their HD truck to Edmonton to for the home games??

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
riazo said:
cbc has on its schedule that the oilers vs ducks games will be in HD only in Anahiem. Who's equip are they using? Also, why dont they bring their HD truck to Edmonton to for the home games??
Well that would require someone at the CBC to spend a half morning setting up the logistics, clearly too much to ask.

Be patient people, CBC has only a 1 billion dollar budget, how can we expect more from them?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
riazo said:
According to Mapquest it takes 25 1/2 hours to drive from Anaheim to Edmonton. When you add on bathroom and meal breaks, the time spent waiting at the boarder to get through customs and the time it takes to pack up the equipment and to set it up again the schedule would be really tight.

I don't think most people realize how far appart cities are in the west and how close together they are in the east. Almost half the teams in the NHL are within a 10 hour drive of Toronto (where the HDTV truck is based).

·
Registered
225 Posts
I called CBC's 866-308-4636 # this morning to ask why the game last night wasn't switched to WS until 18:00 of the 2nd period, expecting to be transferred to someone who could tell me. Instead, the smart-ass "Audience Relations" woman advised me she would take my "comment" and pass it on. I asked if I would receive a response, she said, no, they only take comments. I persisted, (driving my BP through the roof), and finally spoke with a guy who said he would find out and have someone call me. He also said that the home games (presumably Edmonton) would definitely be in HD. I guess we'll only know for sure when the series is bloody well over!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I got the PM. For the benefit of the others...

I touched on the subject this morning. The supplier of the failed equipment is flying in a tech who will bring a replacement part and a spare. Thing should be back to normal later today.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Further to my last post on this matter, I received a call from a gentleman who answered my questions in a very courteous manner - indicating some equipment had fried, and he also advised that home games in Edmonton will be in WS with the Anaheim games in HD. My BP is now back to normal...GO OILERS!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Seems to me like it might be easier for each arena to have their own HD equipment and allow the boradcasters to rent it per event. Then CBC dosen't need to drive a truck across the continent to get an HD program.

801 - 820 of 833 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.