Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 833 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Info I got today re CBC and HDTV

CBC Television will soon be announcing the launch of two dedicated
high definition channels-one in Toronto, one in Montreal - and the
countdown to CBC HD's first broadcast on March 5.
Vancouver and Quebec City will follow later this fall with HD channels
as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You'll see:

"The CBC will begin broadcasting in HDTV on March 5, 2005 in both Toronto and Vancouver."
But the link refurd to actually says

"The CBC will begin broadcasting in HDTV on March 5, 2005 in both Toronto and Montreal." The article does mention vancouver but only says they are applying to the CRTC.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CBUT-DT (CBC Vancouver) Channel 58 status

CBC-DT Vancouver is presently holding a transitional license to operate from Mt. Seymour on 58 at a measley 15Kw but whenever they eventually go live it will be at 1,000 Kw. I've occasionally monitored some activity on DT 58 but nothing to lock onto. Also CBUFT (SRC Vancouver) will come up on DT 16 but I haven't seen any activity on that channel yet.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know CBC is still fine tuning these channels, but in comparing widescreen programming between the analog CBC channels and the new OTA digital channel (CBLT 20-01), it appears that the latter is cropped. Part of the picture is missing vertically and horizontically - even part of the sub-titles when they were present. The CBC-HD logo is also partly off the screen.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just got further info re CBC's inaugural weekend on March 5th....

Highlights of CBC HD's inaugural weekend schedule on March 5th and
6th include a premiere from the Nature of Things: Nature Bites Back -
The Case of the Sea Otter. Following this, CBC HD will broadcast
highlights from past and upcoming HD projects, including award-winning
documentary producer Mark Starowicz's newest project, Hockey: A
People's History, currently in production. Airing on Sunday, March
6th, will be an HD version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,
featuring 5.1 Surround Sound.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was watching some CBC &/or Rogers testing (no actual HD) on the 990's test channels this afternoon.

The bug looks clean it is the CBC logo with HD to the left of it in a translucent form. Mind you the HD part of the logo was cut off a bit (seems outside the vidoe safe area).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
tat2 said:
I was watching some CBC &/or Rogers testing (no actual HD) on the 990's test channels this afternoon.
I noticed that Rogers was testing CBC HD as well on channel 994. Curling was broadcast but, as stated it was not HD.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
When CBC HD going to be on Rogers?

lprice99 said:
I noticed that Rogers was testing CBC HD as well on channel 994. Curling was broadcast but, as stated it was not HD.
And SRC (CBC-French) is on 992. I was watching a bit today, while waiting for Bell to fix my DSL. The 15-minute animated kid's show "Tractor Tom" which is always shown in 16:9 letterbox, went out as proper 16:9 widescreen on the HD channel; couldn't tell if it was an upconvert, or original material. But looked good.

All signs are CBC is going to take HD quite seriously; like Rogers (Omni and Sportsnet) but unlike CTV and Global. The noon news is on now. 4:3, but the studio shots are a very nice picture; much better than on channel 5 (cable 6). Ah, curling just started .... 4:3.

Nick

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
bigoranget said:
I can 100% gaurantee that Rogers will carry both CBLFT-DT and CBLT-DT on their HD service but mostly likely wont be available until March 5th, the official launch date.
What about timeshift, especially once Vancouver is up? Will Rogers also be carrying CBC-Vancouver? I would prefer this to a timeshift PBS as the two channels are almost always the same.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
The timeshift will be particularly useful when hockey returns and assuming that the CBC will broadcast more than one game in HD. When the CBC has all games in HD then it would be great to have HD channels from all of the cities where we currently have SD channels - Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
HDCBC (Rogers 272) and HDSRC (Rogers 273) Tests active

Both are accessible in downtown Toronto right now.

Gary

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
DigitalDisappointment said:
Live here in Northeastern, NB, as well.
K-W as well. Awesome.

61 - 80 of 833 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.