Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
761 - 780 of 833 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Marc said:
CBC does not have the rights to those games, but you are encouraged to watch CBOT-DT during that time. :)
you mean... it will be up? or are you pulling my leg since only the test signal will be around? :)

Aren't these things planned? We should have dates for all installations for the remainder of the year. What we see now sounds like this:

- install one DT station
- decide which city is next
- pause
- revise decision
- pause
- order equipment for another one
- wait 12 weeks
- get equipment
- pause
- pre-commission
- move equipment
...

-gmd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
This has been discussed before. CBOT-DT Ottawa is next. It will be up and running this year.
No other English language stations have been announced.
There is a plan. There is a schedule. I post what I can...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
805 Posts
Thanks Marc.

-gmd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Can someone explain why some of the games out west are upconverted widescreen and some are upconverted 4x3? The other night the oilers game was widescreen but the flames game right afterwards was 4x3.

Is the a technical reason for this or is it a problem with the cbc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Right now CBC has...
1 HD truck
1 SD truck adapted to do WS
The rest are purely SD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
thefly said:
Can someone explain why some of the games out west are upconverted widescreen and some are upconverted 4x3? The other night the oilers game was widescreen but the flames game right afterwards was 4x3.

Is the a technical reason for this or is it a problem with the cbc?
Only god, santa clause and maybe the easter bunny can be two places at once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Marc...will CBC be showing both HD and Widescreen CFL games this summer.

The reason I ask, is that I for one, truely enjoy, (and appreciate), the widescreen over standard definition if HD cannot be done.

Just want to let you know that the effort at CBC is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Top notch

I would also like to let Marc and CBC know I really enjoy their HD hockey broadcasts. The picture is excellent (89" FP DLP) and the 5.1 audio is so "clean" I was able to crank up the audio on the 1st Ottawa v Buffalo game to life like volume levels. The pick up of the crowd sounds and on ice sounds were very well balanced and well placed in the sound Field. It really helped to give the "you are there" feel to the game. When Ottawa would score the horn blast was like a train in my room. Even though Ottawa lost the game was no slouch either.

Great job CBC!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,638 Posts
wptbay, please put your location, and service provider if applicable, in your profile. It often helps us help you, but in this case you would help us.

Some people on Shaw were complaining about the PQ on this game and it would be good to "compare".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
57...I have updated my profile. I am in Thunder Bay (often referred to as tbay by locals) and my service provider is BEV via the 9200 (a non-stuttering version). My audio is equipment is from a world class Canadian company Anthem/Paradigm.

I would add that the PQ on CBC HD hockey broadcasts have generally been good. Even the WS games were a definite step up from basic SD as stated by dm 4u. The audio side however has been a little less consistent, still better then average but not clean enough to allow for the reference level on my system which can peak at 105dB in the sweet spot. During last nights game I started at my usual audio level, -15dB below reference, but it eventually crept up to 0dB (reference level) as it was sounding so good. Next time I will use my SPL meter to measure the level this setting produces during a hockey game. If this gets any more realistic I am going to have to pay for beer between periods and stand in line to go to the washroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
dm_4u said:
Marc...will CBC be showing both HD and Widescreen CFL games this summer...
HD yes. WS maybe.
Some games will be HD. I don't know which. The second HD truck won't be on the road in time for football.
The truck that does widescreen is actually an SD truck loaded up with a lot of additional hardware. This hardware belongs to permanent HD facilities that are under construction. At some point the hardware will have to be returned. Right now, it's too early to call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Marc said:
HD yes. WS maybe.
Some games will be HD. I don't know which. The second HD truck won't be on the road in time for football.
The truck that does widescreen is actually an SD truck loaded up with a lot of additional hardware. This hardware belongs to permanent HD facilities that are under construction. At some point the hardware will have to be returned. Right now, it's too early to call.
Is it HD cameras but an SD truck? Hence limiting your ability to transmit back to CBC to SD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Juggie said:
Is it HD cameras but an SD truck? Hence limiting your ability to transmit back to CBC to SD?
I'm sure they're SD cameras. You can set them up for different aspect ratios.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Marc said:
I'm sure they're SD cameras. You can set them up for different aspect ratios.
Presuming the image is transfered from the truck in WS to CBC for distribution, is there any quality loss when the 16:9WS is cropped for 4:3? I guess what i mean is there some quality loss because the image was transfered as 4:3 with bars originally, and hence is croped on the sides and zoomed in, resulting in less pixels taking up more room? Trying to wrap my head around this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,257 Posts
Juggie said:
Presuming the image is transfered from the truck in WS to CBC for distribution, is there any quality loss when the 16:9WS is cropped for 4:3? I guess what i mean is there some quality loss because the image was transfered as 4:3 with bars originally, and hence is croped on the sides and zoomed in, resulting in less pixels taking up more room? Trying to wrap my head around this one.
Similarly when converting from 16:9 (either WS or HDTV) to 4:3 for live events, do you always take the middle portion of the picture (and thus have the camera men make sure most of the action is within the 4:3 region), or do you pan and scan to find the best part of the image? My reason for asking this is I am contemplating buying an ATSC tuner for my existing 4:3 TV when CBOT-DT Ottawa goes on air and I was wondering if there would be any disadvantages to doing this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,257 Posts
Marc said:
CBOT-DT Ottawa will not be ready in time for the finals.
Marc said:
The second HD truck won't be on the road in time for football.
What are the chances of CBOT-DT Ottawa being ready in time for the 2006 Grey Cup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
The CBC web site (http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/mobile/images/pdf/edmontonD86.pdf) shows Edmonton has an SD digital truck with some widescreen 16:9 capability. If CBC put some WS SD cameras or HD cameras in SD widescreen mode into the truck they would be able to do WS production. This seems to be what Marc is referring to in other posts. The CBC Winnipeg truck (http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/mobile/images/pdf/winnipeg.pdf) appears to be widescreen capable as it has a complement of WS SD cameras but it doesn't appear to be a digital truck. You can do widescreen in NTSC but the results won't be as good because of the colour bandwidth limitations imposed by the NTSC signal.
 
761 - 780 of 833 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top