Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
741 - 760 of 833 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
flashlight07 said:
...Huge squares/pixelation and an audio signal that can never lock in, about 90% of the time. It is rarely ever watchable. Am I alone on this?
I record HD programmes each week all without issue. Watched "At The Hotel", from Tuesday without issue (DD5.1). Just watched the Bachman Turner concert from Thursday (DD5.1). Also watched The Nature of Things, Sunday (WS). Just fine.

Have you checked your signal strength on this channel, removed splitters upstream, etc? See the Digital Home FAQ "Tips for SA STBs"

·
Registered
59 Posts
BigBen said:
So the Flames/Ducks game is in Widescreen SD(I'm assuming) as the quality is a little shabby..
Wait a sec... I am on Shaw (unlike the original poster who is on Bell), not sure if it means any difference.

I tuned into CBC-HD (309) and the Flames/Ducks game was in true HD; good HD pic and sound quality. Also no black sidebars as would be when HD channels show SD stuff on my setup. (my STB and TV do not scretch signals in 720p/1080i).

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
eclink, you may wish to be aware that CBC shows many programmes in widescreen (upconverted widescreen SD, no black bars) and some in true HD. See the link in the post above yours. There is a difference and the service provider would show what CBC provides, so BEV, Rogers, Cogeco, Shaw, etc, would be showing the same feed if it's the same game.

WS can look quite good, especially on a smaller TV, however, it's usually noticeable on a larger TV, especially if you know what to look for - stairstepping, mosquito noise, etc.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
and the Flames/Ducks game was in true HD
No, it was just 16x9 SD.

Looks like the WS equipment is moving from Calgary to Edmonton for their 2 home games. I'm assuming Edmonton will be full network (in 16x9), while Calgary will be local only.

·
Registered
16 Posts
57 said:
I record HD programmes each week all without issue. Watched "At The Hotel", from Tuesday without issue (DD5.1). Just watched the Bachman Turner concert from Thursday (DD5.1). Also watched The Nature of Things, Sunday (WS). Just fine.

Have you checked your signal strength on this channel, removed splitters upstream, etc? See the Digital Home FAQ "Tips for SA STBs"
I actually hadn't checked any signal strengths prior to your suggestion. First of all, it appears that every single one of my channels has a level that is in orange 'warning' font, all between -9dBmV and -17dBmV. The worst is 507 HDSCR at -17dBmV, which suffers the same glitchy problem I was complaning about with 513 HDCBC, but 100% of the time. I only get the problem with the 513 HDCBC when they're broadcasting HD programming. Also, my 530 & 525 HDPBS is a permanent black screen, with 'Status: unlocked' and 'S/N: 0'. So that one just doesn't work at all.

However, despite the seemingly low (orange) levels across the board, I don't have any problems with any other channels, besides 507, 513, and 530 (and 525).

Right now there's no HD programming on cbc, but I'll check the level again when there is, to see if the level drops to around -17dBmV, assuming it will be glitchy. Overall, does it sound like I should be contacting Rogers?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
flashlight07 said:
Overall, does it sound like I should be contacting Rogers?
Probably yes. If you have broadband internet, check the alternate method of seeing signal strength via your computer in post 2 of the "Tips for SA STBs" thread. The problem is not with CBC-HD itself, but rather with your STB, signal, etc.

I just tried 525/530 PBS and the signal is down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
57 said:
eclink, you may wish to be aware that CBC shows many programmes in widescreen (upconverted widescreen SD, no black bars) and some in true HD. See the link in the post above yours. There is a difference and the service provider would show what CBC provides, so BEV, Rogers, Cogeco, Shaw, etc, would be showing the same feed if it's the same game.

WS can look quite good, especially on a smaller TV, however, it's usually noticeable on a larger TV, especially if you know what to look for - stairstepping, mosquito noise, etc.
Thanks for enlightening me on the fact that CBC HD is known to upconvert WS SD stuff to feed over their HD channel :)

I obviously didn't sit there long enough to watch the Flames game (I am from Vancouver, can you blame me? haha), and didn't look for the upconverting artifacts ;) My TV is probably considered medium size? 42" Panny PX500 Plasma.

Actually with my STB and TV set-up, I wish all HD channels would bother to upconvert the SD stuff before feeding through their HD channels :p

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
eclink said:
I wish all HD channels would bother to upconvert the SD stuff before feeding through their HD channels :p
All affiliates DO upconvert their SD programming on their HD channels, however, very little SD is widescreen. Most is 4:3, but it's still upconverted on the HD channels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
57 said:
All affiliates DO upconvert their SD programming on their HD channels, however, very little SD is widescreen. Most is 4:3, but it's still upconverted on the HD channels.
Oh that's right... of course! All the HD channels are fed through in either 720p or 1080i regardless if the source content is actually SD or HD... then whether the SD source is 4:3 or 16:9 is a second issue. I get it now.

Thanks for letting me learn about these in this thread... totally hijacking :p

OK, let's talk about CBC HD :) Is it OK to expect it will broadcast the entire FINAL series in true HD, regardless where the games take place? I am thinking to invite my brother's-in-law over to watch the FINAL games in HD... :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
eclink said:
OK, let's talk about CBC HD :) Is it OK to expect it will broadcast the entire FINAL series in true HD, regardless where the games take place? I am thinking to invite my brother's-in-law over to watch the FINAL games in HD... :D
Pretty sure the CBC site says that the finals will be in HD

·
Registered
805 Posts
ranjy said:
Pretty sure the CBC site says that the finals will be in HD
How likely are we to get CBOT-DT ready for the finals?

-gmd

·
Registered
805 Posts
Marc said:
CBOT-DT Ottawa will not be ready in time for the finals.
Salut Marc,

thanks for the response. What about the Vancouver games in 2010?

:)

-gmd

·
Registered
982 Posts
CBC does not have the rights to those games, but you are encouraged to watch CBOT-DT during that time. :)

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Juggie said:
CTV/Bell have rights to 2010, i believe 2008 are the last CBC olympics.
I know this is off topic but that s*cks! The olimpics won't be the same without Brian Williams, Ron MacLean and especially Steve Armitage ("And he is driving to the line!")!

741 - 760 of 833 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.