Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 833 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Coronation Street

57 said:
Does this mean in a "windowboxed" format with bars all around? Or Filling the 16:9 screen, but not HD.
I was full screen, but very standard definition...

But comparing side by side, with dual tuner - one on the analog channel and the other with the HP PVR on 606 - the 16:9 version looked like an extracted blowup of the 4:3 picture... no frame around....

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
57 said:
Maybe these are "filmed" like Degrassi (on CTV), (perhaps with 16mm) which also doesn't "look" HD, even though it's 16:9.
Coronation Street would be taped in standard 576i 16:9 widescreen; just like most stuff from the UK. Over there they broadcast terrestrially, digitally at 16:9 576i, and analogue using the old 4:3 625 line. No real signs of HD there yet, but they have been broadcasting widescreen digitally since the late 1990's. Stuff like Coronation Street would be shown as 14:9 letterbox on a 4:3 signal; and that it is how it is probably shown here too, i would think (though I confess I've never caught any Coronation Street).

Not sure what CBC is getting from Granada; but in theory, they should be able to get a slightly better picture on the 1080i HD picture compared to the analogue SD, given that a) it is 576i compared to 480i; and be, with the usual 14:9 letterbox (I'd assume), they are only using (if I can do math) 411 lines instead of 480 lines ... or 576 (depending on what format has been provided).

Nick

·
Registered
227 Posts
CBC & SRC HD : Official Launch Dates

FOR CBC

If you go at that page (modified feb. 21st) :

http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv/qanda_mandate.html

«The CBC will begin broadcasting in HDTV on March 5, 2005 in both Toronto and Vancouver.»

FOR SRC

From a phone call this morning to the SRC Headquarters in Montreal, telling them that I had a «tuning problem» with their «lettter boxed 16:9 programs».

They offered me that a technician can call me back for some explanations, and it was told me - not the exact words - the tone was very welcoming:

«The official launch date should be on March 6. We might consider the actual broadcasts as "pre-launch" and "test" and, after that date, commentaries would be appreciated after that date, for any problem»!

So the veil begins to uncover gradually!!! And I wait until then before asking more technical advice.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't think anyone would refuse to exchange 3 existing ExpressVu HD channels - CTV, Discovery and Global - for this one. That is in case they have bandwith issues. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
CBC-HD on Shaw cable March 5th?

I'm wondering if we will be getting CBC-HD from Vancouver on Shaw cable, starting March 5th?!?!

On CBC's high definition information page:

http://www.cbc.ca/hdtv/index.html

If you click on "HDTV mandate"

You'll see:

"The CBC will begin broadcasting in HDTV on March 5, 2005 in both Toronto and Vancouver."

meshmellow

·
Registered
502 Posts
I doubt it...CTV HD has been broadcasting for a while now and so has Global HD, and we haven't gotten any of those channels...

·
Registered
630 Posts
both CTV and Global have no oridginal programming. WE can get anything they offer from the Americian nets. CBC will have some oridginal programming only available from them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
This sunday, Tout le monde en parle on SRC should be in HD.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That should be cool.
Meanwhile "Le bleu du ciel" is upconverted SD. Prior to this I had a glimpse of a "blown-up" version of Coronation Street on CBC ; very extreme cropping. This was followed by a widescreen presentation of "Canadian Antiques".
Not a bad start... (no pun intended).

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Hairball:

Regardless of whether CTV or Global have or don't have original programming, I think the point atong is trying to make is they have been around for a while and Shaw has shown no interest inadding them.

Now I don't want CTV or Global because I want no part of their bad sisumb practices, but still, Shaw doesn't seem poised to any HD channels, so why should we be expecting CBC HD more than other ones.

Fox has a lot of HD programming and we're not getting it, either. At least not in Western Canada, anyway. So it doesn't have anything to do with content, it has to do with Shaw's pathetic HD offering.

·
Registered
832 Posts
pcouture said:
Shaw has shown no interest inadding them.
I'm puzzled by this, since my impression is that local Canadian channels must be carried. I suspect the CRTC will be breathing down their neck anytime.

meshmellow

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Different issues.

Shaw's dispute with BGM is behind the CTV issue. That must get resolved short term, not because of CTV (could care less) but because of other BGM HD properties.

GlobalHD is only the Toronto feed of Global TV and is only six US network shows that are already available. Don't care. Don't want it. I can name lots of HD properties that take priority. Since it is not "local" anywhere but Toronto ... there will be no CRTC heat on Shaw.

CBCHD is a must for Shaw. There will be original content and that should be the litmus test in terms of relative priorities.

Now the disclaimer. The above is not defending the state of HD on Shaw. But, as Shaw moves towards addressing the HD issue, CTV and Global are at the bottom of my list.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
If the same scenario as when Global HD came online, I'd say ROGERS should be adding it fairly quickly. Maybe it's just me dreaming...;)

41 - 60 of 833 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.