Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 833 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
otown47 said:
"I dont think Rogers will offer CBC-HD until they have actual HD Programming in the Schedule...."

Since when is this a requirement........
Actually its CBC-DT and not CBC-HD. The sooner the satellite and cable providers carry CBC-DT the better, regardless of the programming.

People use the terms DT (Digital TV) and HD (High Definition) as though they are the same thing, but they're not. The point of the new licences (both CRTC and FCC in the U.S.A.) is to get DT up and running for all its benefits and then let the analog stations come down. For example, a DT station can broadcast 27-1, 27-2, and 27-3 as different content channels or they can use all that bandwidth for a single 27-1 HD channel, or come up with some other apportionment.

The regulators had in mind that a lot of perfectly good AT 4:3 TVs would suddenly become obsolete if OTA DT was to be only in HD, so the system they created allows OTA TV watchers to purchase or rent a DAC (Digital to Analog Convertor) tuner as a set top box, with the HD channels being letterboxed. Those on pensions or in low income brackets are not expected to have to be without TV due to the switchover of stations to digital.

Having said all this I also hope for maximum HD programming, but I don't expect it just because a station is DT. I don't know what CBC-DT's ratio of DT to HD programming will be. I hope this helps clarify the situation.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
121 Posts
"L'auberge du chien noir" was filmed in HD and is showing tonight. Let's see if it will be shown the right way. If yes, it will be the first French HD program (assuming there is no HD in France...) ever!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well at least they seem to broadcast some of their in-house products in Widescreen. I think that's a bonus.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"L'auberge du chien noir"

"L'auberge du chien noir" won't be in HD tonight :( ... I've just received an email from SRC that confirm that.

They are supposed to email me again when the show will start to be in HD

Pat

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I hope our money goes somewhere...it is funded by our taxes.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Speaking of HDNet, isn't that supposed to be voted on shortly?

As for CBC, I have just read that the annual budget goes from 968 million to 1 billion this year. I wonder if this is the cost of the mobile HD trucks.... :eek:

·
Registered
121 Posts
CBC HD is currently showing "The Newsroom" in widescreen. Cool! PQ is pretty good so it looks HD.

For SRC HD, no HD yet and sound is terrible...

·
Registered
78 Posts
james99.. re "only source" is now not factually correct. CBLT-DT comes in very nicely OTA here in Burlington. The Newsroom looked great in HD.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Most of the prime time series on CBC have been in widescreen for at least a year. If they were all produced in HD, the CBC will equal or surpass many of the American channels with HD primetime content.

·
Registered
277 Posts
stampeder said:
Actually its CBC-DT and not CBC-HD. The sooner the satellite and cable providers carry CBC-DT the better, regardless of the programming.
If you read the applications for DT frequencies that are available on the CRTC website, you will note that there are questions on format (HD vs SD) and that all have agreed to go HD, thus far. So, CBC will broadcast in HD. The question will be as to how much programming will be produced and aired in HD vs how much will be upconverted SD.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
robcreaser said:
james99.. re "only source" is now not factually correct. CBLT-DT comes in very nicely OTA here in Burlington. The Newsroom looked great in HD.
Fair enough but how long has this feed existed for? I'm glad to see CBC HD content on CBC HD. Kind of strange you had to break the "law" to see what your tax dollars are help funding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
james99 said:
Fair enough but how long has this feed existed for? I'm glad to see CBC HD content on CBC HD. Kind of strange you had to break the "law" to see what your tax dollars are help funding.
Today starting at 6am was day one. In addition to the Newsroom in HD, Cornation Street in ED WideScreen was also a treat. Great to see additional OTA choices over what's been available todate.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
At least I know that CBC HD won't simsub any of the U.S HD networks in the future unlike CTV HD, Global HD etc.

CBC HD will also, broadcast original HD programming not found on any other HD channel in Canada. I think that's useful and beneficial.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
CBC-DT just went live today @ 18:00hrs with programming on channel 20 in Toronto. Now if we only had some Hockey to watch!

·
Registered
227 Posts
602 & 606 on Videtron

;) Both Channel were working last night
  • Saw Coronation Street in SD 16:9
  • SRC - in French - had serious sound feedback problems - surround echo? - for Virginie and Auberge du chien noir
  • Since SRC don't mention anywhere on their web anything about the new channel, maybe they consider themselves in «pre-launch» mode
  • Give SRC and CBC a chance? ! !

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
When CBC HD going to be on Rogers?

nfitz said:
BTW, I've e-mailed them about status.
Got the canned response this morning:

Rogers said:
CBC is currently not available on our HDTV channel line up. We will be adding new channels to our HDTV line up in the future. Information on any additional channels will be announced prior to their launch.

I have forwarded your suggestion to our programming department for future consideration.
That seems a poor response, given that they are airing HD (or at least widescreen) content. I'm going to pursue this with them some more.

Nick

21 - 40 of 833 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.