Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 833 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called Videotron (technical support) and they told me that Radio-Canada/CBC TV HD stations in Montreal will be available at no additional charge on their cable service, starting February 21.

Positions will be 602 for CBFT HD and the present 606 for CBCHD. I am not sure what will the exact identifier be for Radio-Canada.

Availability dates vary. For Montreal they told me it will be next Monday, February 21. For other regions it will be a week later, February 28.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Anyone know if any regular shows on CBC will be in HD, or at least in widescreen? SRC has announced a few weekly dramas, but I don't recall anything for CBC.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
foxfan said:
Anyone know if any regular shows on CBC will be in HD, or at least in widescreen? SRC has announced a few weekly dramas, but I don't recall anything for CBC.
Sure, if you check out http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/hdtv/ you'll see that on the first day they are broadcasting (Feb 21) there will be a Toronto Maple Leafs vs Montreal Canadiens game. I think they are planning to have a single camera in the Air Canada Centre aimed at the empty ice ...

Nick

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Sure, if you check out http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/hdtv/ you'll see that on the first day they are broadcasting (Feb 21) there will be a Toronto Maple Leafs vs Montreal Canadiens game.
Er, that was Feb 21 LAST YEAR!

CBC hasn't touched their HDTV site since last October. If, indeed, they are about to go live, it would be nice to let viewers know what exactly we'll be able to see in HD on CBC.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
foxfan said:
DaVinci's Inquest has been shot on widescreen film for quite a while so its a great candidate for HD broadcast whenever that might happen.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This Is Wonderland and The Antiques Roadshow have been showing in widescreen on the SD CBC channel.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
stx said:
For CBCHD (Channel 606), TV Guide is now available but no signal yet.
Are they at least showing the demo loop from CBC? Also, I have noticed yesterday that SRC has a new demo loop too, showing the skyline of Montreal in one shots, and a bunch of different shots of the Jacques-Cartier bridge. I taped both CBC's and SRC's demos to D-VHS and will try to tape the sign on of CBC tomorrow morning in case they do something special.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This morning, both SRC-HD and CBC-HD are up and running! Normal programming can be seen but no real HD (or widescreen) yet.

It's a very good start. I'm hoping that this evening some real HD will be shown.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
CBC HD (Official thread) - When will it be on my provider?

Thought I would consolidate this on one thread.

It seems CBC is testing in Montreal and Toronto.

Post here for information about it hitting your cable provider or general questions about it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
lprice99, in the near term, I doubt it but I'm sure they all will for competitive reasons.

Longer term, I'm sure the CRTC will require providers to carry all Canadian HD signals in order to be allowed to carry the US HD signals. (similar to current practive with SD signals)

If Bell et al, carried ABC/NBC/CBS HD etc, and not CBC, the mandarins in Ottawa would be howling.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
When CBC HD going to be on Rogers?

hugh said:
Thought I would consolidate this on one thread.

It seems CBC is testing in Montreal and Toronto.

Post here for information about it hitting your cable provider or general questions about it.
Why lock the existing thread about CBCHD in the Rogers forum, but not lock the existing thread about CBCHD on Sympatico and OTA that already existed in this forum?

BTW, I've e-mailed them about status.

Nick

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
"I dont think Rogers will offer CBC-HD until they have actual HD Programming in the Schedule...."

Since when is this a requirement........

1 - 20 of 833 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.