Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
597 Posts
You've got a nice tvfool report with all the major networks in one direction and in the green colored zone. I would focus on receiving all the channels that are shaded green with the exception of channel 11 KUOK-CA which is in a different direction and apparently is not broadcasting anything right now anyways.

If you look at the column labeled Real you will see the real frequency the channel is actually transmitting on and the the column labeled (Virt) will be the channel that shows up on your tv. Digital tv allows broadcasters to broadcast on the different frequency than what is displayed on the tv set.

There are only two VHF channels in the green zone - KETA (PBS) and KOCO (ABC). These are quite strong channels so it is possible to pick these channels up with a UHF antenna.

A good directional antenna will work just great for your needs, no need for a rotor because all the channels are in the same direction. I would use tvfool again but this time click the Start Maps feature. It will show your location on a google map. Check the box marked show lines to transmitters.

Now zoom in on your house and it will give you a really good idea of how well your walls line up with the transmitters. If it lines up square then it's quite possible that hanging an antenna on the wall indoors will work just fine. If it doesn't then the antenna will have to be pointed in that direction and you might want to consider alternatives such as putting the antenna outside or in your attic and having it pointed towards the tv transmitters.

· Registered
597 Posts
To shape copper house wire this is what I do: Cut the wire to length (add a little bit to the exact measurement). Put one end in the chuck of an electric drill the other end in a pair of vice grips. I have my wife hold and pull the vice grips while I pull the drill and turn the wire slowly with the drill. As the wire spins it becomes super straight.

When it's super straight I just bend it into the shape of the antenna with some pliers.

· Registered
597 Posts
First, congrats on getting free digital OTA channels!

If I understand you correctly, you are running speaker wire from the antenna to the TV and the balun is connected to the TV? If that's correct, first thing I would do is get some coax cable. Connect the balun at the antenna and run the coax cable to the TV. Speaker wire is not the best wire for TV signals and you might have too much loss of signal connecting it that way.

The #.2 channels are sub channels from the same tv station transmitter. Sometimes different programming appears on these sub channels - depending on the tv station that is transmitting it.

Some tv's will let you add the digital channels manually. On my TV I can add a channel manually by entering the real frequency, followed by the . or - on the remote and then 1. So for Ion on 62.1 real frequency 50, I would enter 50.1 on the remote. The TV then knows that is a digital channel adds it to the list and you can adjust your antenna. Your TV might be different.

I miss on screen guide, it was a nice perk of cable. Right now I'm using zap2it.com to display the tv guide for the channels I get on my computer.

· Registered
597 Posts
Looks pretty good to me, heh, it looks better than my first antenna I built :D. What digital channels are you not getting?

If you have a long enough coax cable, you could try different locations in your house to see if there is a sweet spot where the tv signals come in better.

· Registered
597 Posts
According to wiki-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWTV-DT

After the analog television shutdown has completed, KWTV-DT returned to channel 9. In October 2009, due to reception problems in certain areas of Central Oklahoma, the station was granted permission via special temporary authorization by the FCC to operate an alternate signal on its former digital channel assignment of channel 39, using the virtual channel "9.2".

On March 9, 2010, the FCC issued a Report & Order, approving KWTV's channel change from channel 9 to channel 39.[2] On April 20, the station filed a minor change application on its new channel 39 allotment, [3] which it was granted on June 10.[4] Once the station files a License to Cover, then KWTV can terminate operations on channel 9 and operate solely on channel 39 permanently.

--------

Maybe KWTV is going through their last bit of tweaking to get their digital channel just right. It appears in the tvfool listing as channel 39 with no digital channel. 9.1 is transmitting on real channel 9 and 9.2 is on real channel 39. Once they have got everything right with their new transmitter is will appear as 9.1 on your tv.

Confusing yes, but it won't take too long before they get everything working just right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.