Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with, I know HTIB are not the best things to get but in my case, it's just for the upstairs TV so it is sufficient enough for normal TV viewing. Having said this, here is my dilemma:

I have a JVC 5 disc changer HTIB and for the past year, once in a while it will shut down the sub unit which is also the power for the speakers. I am fed up with that poop so this is what I want to do. I can get a Panasonic HTIB with Bluray player. I don't like their speakers cause two of them are towers which doesn't fit with my setup. I want to keep my JVC speakers. The only hick is that JVC speakers are 4ohms whereas the Panasonic system is 3ohms.

Am I right to assume that there would not be any problem since it is only one ohm more and that it would be more damaging to the amplifier if it was the other way around? I mean the system trying to run a lower rated speaker. I am confused and wouldn't want to buy something only to burn it after 2 years, long after the warranty would have expired.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
From an impedance standpoint, you're probably right. Here's the previous thread on speaker impedance:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62722

However, for HTiBs, almost always, the "sub" and speakers are designed specifically to work in concert with the HTiB and a simple "swap" will lead to less than impressive results.

Often with HTiBs, the "towers" are not actually towers, but simply the speakers mounted on a pedestal, so what's the model number of the HTiB? I suggest to always keep the system "intact" since HTiBs are not designed to be "broken up" the way that true AVRs and 5.1 speaker systems can be.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I saw the speaker in action and yes it is on a pedestal but the speaker itself is almost a foot high. I'm still torn as to what to do....

The model number is SCBT300.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts