Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I installed Win7 on a Intel Atom 330 board with 2GB or DDR2800(clocked down to 533) and a 750GB Seagate HD. Whole system runs very snappy, and even with some programs loaded up now. AVG, Utorrent , and such it feels as quick if not a little quicker then my Celeron E1200 w/ 4GB or DDR2800 running WinXP SP3.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I hit one really anoying bug. I installed Win7 on a IBM T60 laptop and have been using it for my dvd backups. I rip the DVD with the laptop and then copy the single VOB file to my FreeNas server in the basment. However, when I try to copy these large files I keep getting BSOD's on the win7 laptop. Kinda sucks so I'm back to xp/linux dual booting for now.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Windows 7 Cannot Connect to Microsoft Websites

Ironic, but Internet Explorer 8 would fail with a 504 Gateway Timeout error whenever I tried to browse http://www.microsoft.com or any page at that domain. Windows 7 Media Center's Internet Connection setup would also fail for the same reason, it could not connect to Microsoft's website.

I'm running Windows 7 on a gigabit hardwired (Cat-5) home network through a D-Link Dir-665 router. Internet is through a Motorola cable modem on Shaw Cable - Vancouver.

Firefox had no problem connecting to Microsoft. That was the key to fixing the problem. I compared the Internet connection options of Firefox to those of IE8. In Firefox, choose: Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Connection Settings. In my case, no proxy was selected. If you have different options, set up IE8 to match.

In IE8 choose: Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings. By default, Automatically Detect Settings is enabled. I unchecked all of the Automatic Configuration and Proxy Server check boxes.

In Windows 7, open Network and Internet Status. The Internet Options Setup is exactly the same as in IE8, so simply make the same changes as above.

Now Media Center passes the Internet Connection Test. Now if I could just download the EPG... sigh!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Michael, I too had issues with the Media Center EPG, I used a US zipcode and all is well, in the TV settings. run setup and input 14301, you should get a program guide...

·
Registered
828 Posts
mcupdate.exe failed to connect to the Internet. Cannot download Windows 7 EPG

Thanks to +Ames at Neowin.net For this workaround.

Mcupdate.exe would fail with a 504 Gateway Timeout error whenever I tried to setup the TV Signal in Media Center.

Code:
mcupdate.4520 Warning: 1 : Internet connection test failed. Failed to connect to http://www.microsoft.com (proxy=''). Exception was:
mcupdate.4520 Warning: 1 : System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (504) Gateway Timeout.
mcupdate.4520 Warning: 1 :    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
mcupdate.4520 Warning: 1 :    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Internet.InternetConnection.TestConnection(String proxy)
First, mcupdate.exe is run by Network Service by default which does not have permission to carry out mcupdates tasks. I used this workaround to give mcupdate administrator rights so that it could complete the EPG downloads.

1. Create a shortcut to mcupdate.exe, using this command line: C:\Windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p
  2. In Media Center, start the TV Signal Setup. Enter your location and the other setup information. It will start the download but be unable to continue.
  3. Start the Task Manager by right-clicking on the Windows Menu Bar. Choose to see all users processes. Kill the mcupdate process.
  4. Right-click the mcupdate shortcut and run as administrator. It should appear in the Task Manager as an administrator process.
  5. Media Center should finish downloading the setup parameters. Choose your cable provider, etc.
  6. When Media Center starts to download the EPG, kill the mcupdate process.
  7. Run the mcupdate shortcut as administrator.
  8. Media Center setup should run to completion.

With this, I could setup Media Center for 98226 Bellingham WA or Vancouver BC. Next, enabling Canadian ATSC reception!

·
Registered
517 Posts
just letting everyone know that there is a leaked version of windows 7 build 7022 out on the net. has a few new effects and updates IE8 to RC1. they said they changed the look of paint in this but it looks just the same as it did in the other builds of windows 7.

note as i said it is a leaked build and MS said there will be no more public betas of windows 7 and can no longer get the public beata from there website now.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Two more builds were leaked:7057 and 7068 (March 24).
The wakeup problems I had on some PCs with external storage are gone.

At this point I don't have software that was running before (XP or Vista) and is not running on Win7:
from simple DVD players (HTPC) to ArcGIS, Google Earth, Adobe CS4, SAS, SPSS, Mathematica, Maple, etc. (Office PC).
Running standalone, dual-boot, as well as virtual under both, VMWare Workstation and ESXi.
Supporting Cisco VPN with and without RSA.

Release Candidate is expected in May.

·
Registered
248 Posts
win7 new box

I decided to try Win7 on my XEON machine, its an IBM 6850-25U, Dual XEONs 1.7 GHz, 2 GB of 800 speed RAM...I have run 4.0, 2000, 2003 Server, 2007 Web Server with no blue screens but Win7 loves to BSOD on this box....first up was the SCSI drivers, no Vista/Win7 SCSI drivers for this old box....tried multiple 98/2000/XP drivers till I got Win7 to install...worked with XP drivers, I think the hard drive and controllers are ok with Win7 but still blue screens...as I am typing this, I am running the hardware diagnostics (PC Doctor), I don't think the hardware has an issue as the other OS's have not had a BSOD problem....maybe Win7 ain't gonna work on this box...did a BIOS update today, no change, I thought at first the win update may fix, um, NO.....runs for about 15 mins before blue screening, the error message is different everytime but I am seeing a BSOD that I have never seen before, something about the second CPU cannot process the command...so leads me to think 1 CPU has a problem but again, multiple other OS's have had no problem....

Any thoughts on Win7???

The PC Doctor diagnostics have passed all the hardware!

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Dell PowerEdge 2950 (2x2 Xeons) has no problem running Win7 as a virtual machine under ESXi installable with SAS hard drives and LSI SCSI tape.
No software tried, just as a principle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looks like it's confirmed: the Windows 7 RC will be available to MSDN subscribers on April 30, and broader public distribution will start on May 5.

Some other big news: Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions have a full virtualized version of XP SP3 available as a free download. While virtualization is nothing new, the level of integration is somewhat unique: XP apps won't run under a separate virtual desktop. Instead, shortcuts will be available in the regular Windows 7 start menu, and from the screenshots here an application running in virtual XP mode looks indistinguishable from Windows 7 applications.

The bad news here is that the abomination of a browser known as IE 6 may get yet another lease on life...

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
That sounds interesting.

Early in the beta program I used a few times the compatibility option in Win7 and it worked fine.

Would be interesting to have more details: memory/disc footprint? DirectShow support? 64-bit? unsigned drivers? etc...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
If you download the new RC and wish to discuss please use the Windows 7 RC discussion thread.

Please continue to use this thread for discussion of the Beta.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've installed Build 7000 on an Asus RS100-X5/PI2 rackmount server to be used as a video editing workstation. The only problems I've experienced were one crash of Sony Vegas Platinum, one crash of the desktop during a network file copy, and a tendency to freeze up when the session is locked. The freeze-up is easily avoided by simply not locking up the computer, or shutting it down when I'm done, which is what I have to do anyway since my tiny APC NetShelter WS racknount lacks adequate ventilation (the fans are on order).

I'm so happy with Windows 7 that I feel I can safely use it in a production system, something I'd never consider with Vista.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts