Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In researching a story on Usage Based Billing (UBB) for my monthly column in the Globe and Mail technology section, I had the opportunity to speak with a representative of Rogers Cable who has informed mee that Rogers will apply Usage Based Billing to Third Party Internet Access (TPIA) providers beginning in July.

The decision means that consumers jumping from wholesalers of Bell's DSL service to wholesalers of Rogers Cable Internet service in order to avoid Usage Based Billing will be disappointed.

The following is a one of many questions I posed to several Canadian Internet Service providers including Rogers.

Question: After the recent CRTC decision to implement UBB with 3rd party DSL providers, many Canadians are asking if Rogers will be implementing UBB billing for 3rd party cable wholesalers in the coming year?

Rogers: We intend to begin billing wholesalers in July of this year. The 15% discount will apply to wholesalers. The wholesale business represents a small percentage of our overall portfolio and will therefore not impact the vast majority of our customers.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
That totally sucks just as I am about to switch to them, but it is not unexpected as Rogers, Bell et al have to do everything they can to stop the Netflix's of the world, otherwise the business model of a Canadian BDU is dead and the market capitalization of these companies will go down by billions.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I had said before that it would happen but now its official.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Any idea at what level Teksavvy cable will be capped at? Rogers Extreme caps out at 80GB per month. Is that the level that they will cap Teksavvy's Extreme service? And will the Express service be capped at 60?

I guess there is still a benefit to Teksavvy in terms of price, throttling and customer service.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not ask Rogers but the way the CRTC decision has been worded, I'm certain the TPIA caps have to match the providers retail customer caps.

·
Super Moderator
11,130 Posts
Hugh any word on the other big cable company Videotron? TSI (Videotron) already had modest caps on most packages but even that was better than nothing. What I mean to say is will the 90GB plan be dropped to match that of Videotron (40GB).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not spoken to Videotron. As noted, if any telco or cable company forces UBB on its TPIA providers then the caps will have to match tehh telco or cable company's retail caps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Regardless, after having been a Rogers customer for over 15 years, I will now do business with anyone but Rogers (and Bell). At least for the short amount of time it will take before they all disappear from the market.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Wow I just read that TekSavvy , a third party ISP, who buys bandwidth off Bell, has told those customer via emails sent yesterday, who currently have 200 Gb or unlimited deals will that plan reduced to a usage cap of 25Gb (60Gb in Quebec) effective March 1st....

I except things to get real heated now and our MP's to get a lot more emails from really upset customers....

I myself have decided to not sign up for Netflix and will definitely not be using and online backup service either..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, I can't even begin to describe how angry I am about all of this - and that's without even knowing for sure if my ISP is immediately affected (Access Comm. in Regina).

More research to do, but I'll definitely be writing some emails about this, which is something I never do.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the link Hugh, I will be sending out emails for sure once I do a bit more research on how this affects Western Canada.

Anyone want to bet on how long Netflix stays in Canada?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If (yes, I know that it is a BIG if) the CRTC reverses it's decision to apply UBB with no caps are these TPIA providers bound by that or will the ruling only apply to DSL TPIA providers?

I understand that the competitive forces should mean that Cable TPIA is forced to follow what DSL does but I'm curious as to whether or not the CRTC ruling affects more than just DSL from a regulatory standpoint.

TIA!

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
If (yes, I know that it is a BIG if) the CRTC reverses it's decision to apply UBB with no caps are these TPIA providers bound by that or will the ruling only apply to DSL TPIA providers?

I understand that the competitive forces should mean that Cable TPIA is forced to follow what DSL does but I'm curious as to whether or not the CRTC ruling affects more than just DSL from a regulatory standpoint.
That's a very interesting question as I thought I read somewhere that the cable UBB decision came several years ago, well before the DSL UBB decision, and the cable companies had just not decided to implement it until the present time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts