Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 715 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting too many What's the deal with HD programming on Star Choice Questions so lets keep it all in one thread.

So as of late March 2005, what is Star Choice offering in HD and what can we expect in the future?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I saw that yesterday night after American Idol they were presenting the News of Sportsnet in HDTV. I think they should do that more often instead of presenting the same thing on 2 or 3 PBS channels.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does anyone know what is going to be available in HDTV that will be presented by Sportsnet. I saw that they will be showing Sunday Night Baseball in HDTV + Nascar, will Starchoice be presenting all the Sportsnet schedulet or will they show us on 3 PBS channels the same stuff? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Since Rogers Cable buys the Cancom feed of Sportnet HD for their Nfld cable head ends, I would think that all Sportnet programming in real HD is on SC.

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Personally, I've been happy with the HD offerings on *C so far. I still have my BEV account, but not for long. So far there has been nothing I wanted to watch in HD that was not available on the *C HD channels. I mostly watch primetime stuff and they are all there including time shifting so I can watch everything I want. Not to mention that I find the PQ better than BEV, but that is just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That sounds good to me. I just added TMN for the HD movies and most of the time all I see is broadcast in SB. I take it that SB means standard broadcast or am I missing something here.
Wade

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry if this may seem like another stupid question but I have not subscribed to TMN in a long time, but who or what may be subject to blackout.

Wade

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The show...if you don't subscribe to Movies East (or have an HD reciever)...its their way of letting people know that just because you've got HD, it doesn't mean you get movies with the Bronze package...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lossing a HD Channel on SC

I notice that HD285 is being blacked out by TMN why not just give all viewers the MC. What we need is dedicated Network channels (east-west). I only watch HD channels even when they broadcast std tv programs. I miss Jeopardy 6:30P CST (where's WDIV-DT) put it back. Why are HD281 and HD 282 mostly duplicates? Why not use these two channels for say WGN or KTLA HD or Permanent PBS (WTVS-DT or KSPS-DT) feed.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
bob0082 said:
I notice that HD285 is being blacked out by TMN why not just give all viewers the MC. What we need is dedicated Network channels (east-west).
There is no need to map 283 in the east or 285 in the west.

I only watch HD channels even when they broadcast std tv programs. I miss Jeopardy 6:30P CST (where's WDIV-DT) put it back.
Gone for good. WDIV-DT just couldn't get their HD hardware act together

Why are HD281 and HD 282 mostly duplicates?
Exactly a question I have asked many times. Shaw puts cable head end customers ahead of SC customers when it comes to HD programming assignments. It is my understanding that minimum cable head end HD configuration is 3 decoders - 281 + 282 + the movie network for their region. I can't understand why the same program would ever be on 281 + 282.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Star Choice has started to advertise their HD channels now as:
NBC East/West
ABC East/West
CBS East/West
PBS East/West
Fox East/West
Movie Central HD
The Movie Network HD
Rogers Sportsnet HD
CityTV Toronto HD

Maybe more changes are comming, or maybe they're just sick of their "9" channels being compared to BeV's 25 when content is almost identical...this way they don't provide a specific number of channels, they just show the content thats available...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
satellite said:
NBC East/West
ABC East/West
CBS East/West
PBS East/West
Fox East/West
Movie Central HD
The Movie Network HD
Rogers Sportsnet HD
CityTV Toronto HD

I would applaude a more structured system. Although I don't feel I have missed any programming with the random HD programming setup, it is often difficult to select programs ahead of time. Even the online PDF file listings don't give you program timing. With the introduction of the 530 PVR, I would like to see a more predictable guide and station lineup. Good news, if it happens.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
bigoranget said:
For the most part channels 281 and 282 don't really need to be mapped for StarChoice customers. About 95% of the programs are aired on the other HD channels (283-289).
Exactly, so Cancom can put the omnibus channels for cable companies on the Ciel satellite when it launches and turn all F2 feeds into dedicated channels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
satellite said:
NBC East/West
ABC East/West
CBS East/West
PBS East/West
Fox East/West
Movie Central HD
The Movie Network HD
Rogers Sportsnet HD
CityTV Toronto HD
That's a good thing but I have a few reserved with that.

What about:
PBS-HD (that was about the only HD I had when I started watching HD :), TSN-HD
some canadian content, even if it's few right now (CBC, CTV and SRC)

1 - 20 of 715 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.