·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They better hurry otherwise we'll all be abandoning our Canadian subs and moving to the dark side!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hugh said:
otherwise we'll all be abandoning our Canadian subs and moving to the dark side
That's a good point... I'm curious to see if a la carte will fly in Canada.

I can see a problem with the CRTC. Canadians would never be allowed to choose any 50 channels.. There will have to be a way to make sure that a proper percentage of the chosen channels had Canadian content.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That's a good point... I'm curious to see if a la carte will fly in Canada.

I can see a problem with the CRTC. Canadians would never be allowed to choose any 50 channels.. There will have to be a way to make sure that a proper percentage of the chosen channels had Canadian content.
The conditions in the appendix attached to the Sirius (and XM) licence include (as per http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2005/db2005-247.htm )
  • 1 (b) The licensee shall distribute a minimum of eight original Canadian-produced channels.
  • 1 (c) The licensee may distribute, to any Canadian subscriber, a maximum of nine non-Canadian-produced channels for each original Canadian produced channel that it distributes.
  • 1 (d) In no case may a subscriber receive a package of channels where original Canadian-produced channels constitute less than 10 percent of total channels received.
  • 4 (a) The licensee shall distribute a minimum of three French-language original Canadian-produced channels.
  • 4 (b) Not less than 25% of the original Canadian-produced channels distributed by the licensee shall consist of French-language original Canadian-produced channels.
So the 50-channel package would require 8 CanCon channels, allowing for 42 non-Canadian stations. The 100-channel package would require 10 CanCon channels, allowing for 90 non-Canadian stations. So there's no real problem with a-la-carte for Canadians. Unless, of course, it might be considered a bad precedent. Freedom of choice? Now why would people want that?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the 50-channel package would require 8 CanCon channels, allowing for 42 non-Canadian stations.
Not to split hairs but I think it would be 45 U.S. and 5 Canadian channels of which at least 3 of those Canadian channels would be French.

So the net would be that ENGLISH language Canadians would have 45 U.S., 2 English Canadian, and 3 French Canadian channels.(unless of course they actually chose more than 5 Canadian channels)

For me the 50 Channels would be ideal (as long as I could get the comedy channel) since I really only listen to about 10 or 12 music stations. My news and information all comes from CBC radio and I can get any local Blue Jays games on AM radio.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Including taxes, that is less than $100 a year. Definitely a good deal IMO, in fact this is the sort of thing I have been waiting for. I really like Sirius radio but I am not in my car long enough to justify paying $14.99 per month, $6.99 is definitely easier to swallow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been waiting for "a la carte" programming to subscribe to Sirius.I will not wait for the Canadian service to offer it because i have a total dislike for the CRTC and its can-con rules.For me it will be a US sub!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Reading those conditions, I think Hugh is right that there only needs to be 5 Canadian channels in a 50-channel package, but none of them have to be French. The three French-language original Canadian-produced channels have to be distributed, but not to each subscriber.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sportsfan, in re-reading it, you probably are correct 45 to 5 and the 5 could be English only

Just because I had to confirm, I contacted Sirius today and, not surprisingly, will not be offering a la carte or best of programming

I think that refusal will be their death knell.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since the Starmate 5 has just been released, I see that canadian sources have the Canadian version (STKTK1C) available. Does anyone know if the version sold here is altered to prevent access to "A La Carte" programming as offered in the U.S.

As the radio seems to be less expensive here, it would be useful if we can "theoretically" use a canadian-bought Starmate 5 to subscribe to Sirius U.S.A.'s "A La Carte" programming.

I will also be interested in the new "inter-operable" radios that will be coming to give access to both the satellite platforms used by Sirius XM satellite radio, as it is now known in the U.S.

·
Registered
314 Posts
When the free subscription is done in my new 08 Malibu, I will hook up on XM's U.S. service. $15/mo is just too much but I can totally deal with $7.

XM Canada is just dumb not to follow suit. Almost everyone that I know who has XM or Sirus in their new car has abandoned it after the trial because it's too much.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The Canadian sat companies are simply going to wait and see who wins the next federal election. Then they'll "lobby" errr payoff the winning party and get them make US subscriptions illegal. Problem solved.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought a Starmate 5 at Futureshop this afternoon and the US website says that it isn't compatible with a la carte. I am going to try on the phone.

Edit: I called Sirius USA and they said that the Canadian radios will work on a la carte - but you have to activate them with Sirius USA first and then make an account change.

Edit 2: That didn't work either - it seems the Starmate 5 showed up in stores before they actually got the backend working.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I really don't like the idea of paying 'more for less,' but that seems to be XM's trajectory now, given no a'la carte programming. The 'Best Of' offerings right now don't interest me much but I would consider an interoperable receiver for some of the other Sirius programming in which I'm interested. The one positive is that, when it's come time for renewal, I've gotten good discounts. That said, the following is a an email I sent to XM Canada recently, that is, a day or so before Hugh posted that neither Sirius nor XM Canada will be offering 'Best Of' packages :(:

I sure hope XM Canada is doing everything it can to secure a
deal with the parent company(ies) regarding offering the best
of Sirius programming for its listeners (like me!)? I have
two subs due to renew in November (and a third in May,
2009) and, while I'd like to stay and support XM Canada, if
there's no clarity about an expanded channel line-up, or no
change at all, I will join with the many who already subscribe
to XM US, which is cheaper to begin with (although XM Canada
has done me well to reduce the fees to make them comparable to
the States). But to offer less channels for more money? C'mon
XM Canada, you can do way better than this.

Make me a happy(ier) XM Canada sub, and keep me from going grey!

·
Registered
461 Posts
(although XM Canada[/I]
has done me well to reduce the fees to make them comparable to
the States).

Care to elaborate? Unless something has changed recently, XM Canada has actually increased their monthly fee (from $12.99 to $14.99) and activation fee (from $14.99 to $29.99 for a phone activation) since they started here. XM US has always been a better bang for your buck.

I too will be interested to see what kind of a response you get from your email.

·
Registered
324 Posts
the final word: Canadian Starmate 5 ESN's are inventoried as Starmate 4's this is to prevent exactly what we are discussing here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.