Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 287 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Bell Satellite TV (It's no longer called Bell Expressview) receivers can have a single line to the receiver (using Dish Pro Plus Technology) from the lnb or switch, where Shaw I believe (and don't quote me if i'm wrong on this) they require a minimum of 2 RG6 coax lines to each receiver to work properly. That and Bell has Video On Demand on their 9400 receiver, but I do not think Shaw Direct (Formerly Starchoice Satellite) has any video on demand capabilities :(

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
For Shaw the 600/800 they only have a single tuner so one line.
For the 630/830 to record on two tuners you need two lines. They can be configured to run with a single line only.
If you connect any of the above to the internet, 6xx wired 8xx has wireless, there are VOD offerings.

·
Super Moderator
56,456 Posts
I believe that the delays are implemented by the broadcaster, not the provider. The delays may also depend on the event, with some events having more delay than others.

The "processing time" in any STB may have a minor impact, but probably nothing to worry about when compared to the number of seconds that a broadcaster delays.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Can't comment on Shaw Direct but when talking on the phone with my friend who has Shaw Gateway...Bell Satellite is a full 5-6 seconds ahead while watching sports (CFL and NHL confirmed).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread... but with the same intent.

Our Bell HDPVR just lost it's PVR functionality and I got what I would regard as no satisfaction from Bell for a replacement... didn't get beyond the page reader.

Anyway, it was suggested I look at alternatives and because we have no real hispeed where we live (5Mbps max with 60 Gb bandwidth) going to streamed services is out of the question.

I have spent some time looking at other best options for satellite in this area and it appears Shaw Direct would be the one... thus the link to this thread.

It is now late 2019 and I'm wondering if anyone has had any new thoughts on the Shaw vs. Bell debate?

I had the Better + Movies + TimeShift package with Bell and looking at Shaw it would be comparable to the Medium TV + Crave/Movies/HBO package... and would ultimately be within a few $$ of each other.

Shaw also has an intro offer (of only 3 months) for almost half off but they also include both their HDPVR and an HD receiver for no cost.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sounds like you have done your homework. I don't think you can go wrong with Shaw Direct. You own your own equipment, but they will still guarantee your PVR, dish and other receivers. I have been with them since the 90's (when they were Star Choice), and have had very few problems; but when I had a problem they always solved it for me.

281 - 287 of 287 Posts