Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I'd stay away from Shaw Direct; they have an ugly IPG, their PVR is absolute garbage, their hardware is years behind most other service providers and their HD selection is sub par at best. Yes, you will get on demand content on the receiver but even that was very glitchy a best. If Bell is offering money off your regular price, I'd take that over Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Don't agree at all with the above. To each his own. SD has a much better HD content than they used to and a very good picture quality. Since using a single630 rather than 2 630's it has been operating quite well. A little sluggish on the menus etc.
Since I looked at Tine Warner Cable HD content in the US recently all I can say is Shaw Direct blows them away and I found Bell was flat when I looked at it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Internet speed should be fine. ShawDirect OD is clunkly but it works. I don't think SD has any more standard def receivers - as what model they are offering.

I cannot comment on price -

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd stay away from Shaw Direct as well.

Besides crap PVR, lack of HD is a disgrace because they are too cheap to changeover F2 HD transponders to MPEG4.

Way overpriced for HD offered - you will save at least $25/month with a Bell bundle (+ have a working PVR)

Shaw clan is just driving up share price before off loading Shaw Cable + Shaw Direct to Rogers.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Don't agree at all with the above. To each his own. SD has a much better HD content than they used to and a very good picture quality.
umm, maybe its early in the morning and im half a sleep but how does SD (Standard Definition) have much better HD (Hi Definition) content and picture quality? Have you watched a STandard Definition broadcast lately? Also im not going to compare any receivers I do not live in western canada so I never got to see what a Shaw Receiver and guide look like in person yet. I have only seen Bell and Rogers

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
maybe its early in the morning and im half a sleep but how does SD (Standard Definition)
I suspect SD is short for Shaw Direct.

But as others have stated Shaw Direct HD is an overpriced joke.

As a former SD customer (10+) years, I now get even more Shaw Media and Corus HD channels on Rogers than SD even offers .. and for less money.

Anyone with SD should seriously checkout the competition. You are definitely overpaying .. and that's before the next $4 increase in January.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To chime in on this?

Since I've had both services at the same time I can tell you both had their good parts and bad.

Certain channels on BTV where better PQ then on SD, while there was certain channels on SD that where better then BTV PQ, as to why this was I can't answer.

As for ON Demand I can't comment on Shaw's On Demand service as at the time I had it it wasn't available and not sure how its done on SD. As for BTV On Demand, from my understanding(never used it)it uses Hard Drive space on your PVR. As for PQ I've heard two versions The movies where one it was in 720 the other was 1080, as to which is true I don't know.

As for HD content at the time BTV had more then SD, and although SD has added quite a few more HD, most of it basically locals they've added.So BTV still has more HD content.

As for channels that all depends, BTV has way more Francophone & ethnic services then SD.As for English channels again in in what you like at what your viewing habits and tastes are.

True there are certain channels not carried by one or the other IE F/X(SD)but not on BTV, BPM:TV(BTV) but not on SD? so it all depends on what you like.

The only one thing I give SD credit for is for the locals they give them to you all or at least give you that option to get them all, as for BTV it depends on what package you have Old system vs the new system Good,Better,Best, yet even with the old system you didn't get them all, should at least give the option to get them all even if its in a separate package!! Should offer that with Bell Fibe TV TOO(all locals on BTV) :mad:

As for equipment BTV has way better receivers.

As for price, each has it "discounts & bundles"(this may vary from region to region West vs East Bell vs Shaw territories). And regardless price increase wil effect both services so switching from one to the other won't really save you money, it may in the short term but eventually price increases will come into play.

As for how BTV vs SD is presently to this day to compare that part I can't answer as I no longer have either service to compare them side by side at the same time, as I can only give my opion when I last had the two services.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So to bring this back up. I am thinking of switching from Bell to Shaw Direct. Was giving a free offer for equipment and install and had a second Bell receiver which I owned die on me. So what is the consensus these days. Which is better? Does Shaw have as much rain fade or loss of signal on a clear day when there is a storm elsewhere? Looking for some insight.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Bell is still better when it comes to hardware, HD channel selection and probably it has better signal strength so it will less likely lose signal.
Shaw direct is better if someone wants only skinny basic package with addition of some channels.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hardware maybe but I'm not sure about channel selection. From comparing what I would get to what I have, I would lose the following HD Channels:

Peachtree
WSBK - rumored to be dropped in Sept
KTLA - rumored to be dropped in Sept
WPIX - rumored to be dropped in Sept
CBC Calgary
CBC Ottawa
CTV 2 Toronto & Vancouver
Omni
Documentary
OLN
NFL Network
CP24
BNN
HLN
Discovery Science
Animal Planet
Treehouse
Disney Jr
M3
Cottage
MLB Extra Innings - no loss

Total of 23 channels of which only 5 are of any importance and in 2019 once Shaw switches everything to MPEG 4 and everything goes HD, I would gain back 11 of them, plus I would get more HD channels that Bell does not carry that Shaw has now that would be of more value to me at a cheaper rate. The hardware might not be the greatest, but it almost looks like the current Shaw lineup is better than Bell and once the switch happens it will be alot better. I spoke with Bell and they have no plans to switch to an all HD lineup and drop SD channels. They don't even have any plans to launch any new HD channels. Plus Shaw will give me a new receiver if I have one die on me. I have had 4 Bell receivers die that I've owned and the only options I get from them is to rent a new one or buy a new one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shaw sublime package vs Bell?

I'm wondering which package to get.
Shaw Direct have a $60 a month Sublime package for Quebec (reduced for 6 months) and access to a mobile app to watch elsewhere.
Bell's "Better" package seem to have something around $57 but is it less channels?
I think Bell has TVA Sports but Shaw Direct does not?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So to bring this back up. I am thinking of switching from Bell to Shaw Direct. Was giving a free offer for equipment and install and had a second Bell receiver which I owned die on me. So what is the consensus these days. Which is better? Does Shaw have as much rain fade or loss of signal on a clear day when there is a storm elsewhere? Looking for some insight.
I'm about to send back the 4th POS HDR we've had from Bell this year. Each one lasted a shorter time than the one before it. This one won't even download the program guide or pair with the remote. We had Shaw for years at our old house, switched to Bell in 2013 as we had a better bundled price. We never had problems like this with Shaw equipment and it's getting to the point where Bell equipment is becoming such a pain in the butt that I don't even care all that much about cost differences. Investigating Shaw and Rogers cable at this point...

·
Registered
64 Posts
So once again I am considering switching from Bell Satellite to Shaw Direct and I would just like some input as to which is better. Equipment does not matter to me, just the programming and picture quality. I've had enough issues with Bells receivers (having gone through 4 owned units and 3 rentals) that their equipment isn't that good. Just looking for opinions of picture quality between the two.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Whenever I have compared Shaw to Bell I have felt that facial features(for instance on news anchors) appear to be flat and less detailed on Bell versus Shaw. Strictly unscientific and personal I guess.

241 - 260 of 287 Posts