Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 240 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bell vs Shaw Direct

Please help Please!!!!!!!

I have been a Shaw subscriber for ever... probably 20 years!!! I purchased an automatic dome which was only compatible with Bell, so I purchased my very first Bell HD Receiver and subscribed to some programming.

Here is my dilemma.... I am not liking Bell programming, finding it really hard to locate specific networks/channels etc. I think this is probably due to simple unfamiliarity, we are huge sports fans and I also watch US Networks most often.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with both that can help me make a decision... Bell tells me they have the Best HD programming than anyone, but I have had calls from Telus saying the same thing - it's hard to take that advise from a salesman.. of course they are going to want to promote their product, not the competetor.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Comparing Satellite Providers (Bell v Shaw v Telus)

Soon, I may be moving up with my family up to a rural zone in Northern Alberta, so there won't be any cable, so we're thinking of switching to satellite.

I know this question is asked a lot on this forum, but this is why I want to ask.

• We have an HD-PVR, or at least want to be able to use at least one. (Though more is always good.)
  • A preference for HD channels.
  • All TV's in our house are HD capable.
So, what would be the best one to pick? Shaw Direct, Bell TV or Telus Sat?

·
Registered
360 Posts
In my opinion, Customer Service would the biggest factor to not overlook. I can't comment on Telus Satellite being that I have never used it. But I can tell you that Shaw's Custmer Service blows Bell out of the water. I switched from Bell to Shaw and could never even think about going back to Bell.

Other than that, compare apples to apples and see what kind of deals you can get becoming a new customer. Phone them and see what they will do for you.

·
Super Moderator
16,666 Posts
Telus resells Bell Satellite in B.C. and Alberta, so the actual satellite service is the same, although Telus has better prices when bundled with Internet. Telus provides their own installation and customer service. Otherwise the channel packages are the same and Telus uses the same hardware (HD-only).

When choosing between Bell/Telus and Shaw, the first step is to check if both providers have the channels you want and which package you will need to get the channels you want.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Telus only have the 9241 & 6131 right now I believe. Still the 9241 is quite solid and with Dual Tuners it is flexible too.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Not to mention until G1 is launched (read G1 thread in SD forum) and becomes available to Shaw, they are pinched for space, so are limited in what HD they do offer.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
Shaw Direct = cheaper but less HD. HD PVR has some firmware bugs.
Telus/Bell = more expensive but more HD and fairly reliable hardware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shaw Direct vs. Bell Sat. - Which to go with?

Just moved into a new house and my options are:

Shaw Direct - Had them in the past (over 2 years ago) was happy with the flexibility in packaging and their customer service.

Bell - Haven't paid money to Bell in almost 10 years, since going with VOIP phone. They seem to have very little flexibility in packages, i.e. a la carte selections.

Cogeco Cable - My dad had Cogeco and switched to Shaw, he hasn't looked back.

I don't want to spend a tonne of money a month, we do a lot of Netflix watching. Would be looking at the basic package.

I've heard that Shaw's hardware isn't as good as bells.. is the PVR decent?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bell Satellite VS Shaw Direct 2013

Can anyone who currently has Bell comment on if their customer service has improved since many years ago, when I was told that they had the worst possible call center reps?

I'm trying to do another comparison right now between BEV and Shaw Direct. So far, the information I've gathered from reading past posts implies that BEV has the better hardware, IPG and includes HD channels for free, whereas Shaw has the better customer service and signal reliability.

I remember back in 2007 when I was at a friend's house who had Bell, and even a light rainfall would put out the dish's signal, compared to Shaw's elliptical-style dish which seems to work fine unless snow piles up on it, or there's a severe thunderstorm. Has Bell improved their signal's reliability in recent years?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bell recently put up a new satellite that has improved signal on 91W. As for call centers, I can't speak for everyone but its usually O.K. for me.. not great, but not horrible either. :D

Bell also has released new receivers recently and numerous HD channels have been added in the last 2 years.

My choice has always been Bell TV and it hasn't steered me wrong

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been a Shaw direct customer for 14-15 years. I am cancelling service and have gone to bell as of this past Friday.

Shaw's customer service or lack of is truly the biggest reason for switching. We simply wanted to set up for a move and in 6 weeks we didn't even get the install date. When managers at shaw say that you should only have to wait 3 minutes and then you finally hang up after waiting for well over 30 minutes, I think it says a lot. I gave them one final chance by requesting a senior manager contact me before Friday to set up the install. They took it very seriously. I was told that maybe a manager will contact me in 48 hours..... So screw em. Truly I have never in my life had worse customer service.

I do have to say that the Bell Store people are not knowledgeable about their products either. The store manager wasn't aware of the 9400 receivers being able to record 2 shows at the same time. I had to pull it up on my phone to show him. He also guaranteed me that I could cancel the 2 year contract at any time, which I scoffed at. He went to the back to find out. About 10 minutes later he came back red faced later to tell me that it was a $200 (1st year) $100 (2nd year) buyout. Maybe training in products and services would be a good thing.

I'm willing to give them a chance but I really don't hold out a lot of hope with CSR's at companies anymore.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think you will be much happier with Bells equipment as the 9400 is rock solid compared to the 630. The customer service has also improved over the years.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Blackloz is correct. Bell hardware is superior and their customer service has improved by alot.

Also terms and conditons are simplified. I remember that 10 years ago their fine print had so many conditions and clauses you needed an atttorney to figured it out.:eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Moving to rural Ontario

Hi, we are moving to rural Ontario (outside Sudbury) from BC and will only have access to Bell and Shaw Direct satellite TV. We are trying to decide which one to go with, but their web sites and programming packages are really confusing. I have been reading a lot on these pages but there is an almost overwhelming amount of information. So we're looking for help to decide.

We have clear southerly views.
We are only interested in HD.
We want basic network channels plus HGTV and some sports (TSN and SN) and some news, and maybe movies/HBO.
We'd pick better reliability (hardware and service uptime) and usability over almost anything.
We'd pick better picture quality over price, unless the difference is staggering.

Any help or advice would be really welcome!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have had both services and currently still have Bell. my choice is ultimately Bell. IMO they have rock solid equipment that is light years ahead of the 630pvr I had with shaw. With the Bell 9400 & 6400 you can't go wrong. Picture quality is very, very little difference if any now. As far as packages go i'm not sure what Shaw's are currently, but it sounds like you could get most or all channels you want with Bell in the good or select package.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Agreed. Go with Bell. Even though it pains me to say that since I really dislike BCE practices, the Shaw Direct 630 receiver is the absolute worst DBS receiver available today. By a looooong shot. Avoid at all costs.

I just had an opportunity to test out a Bell 9400. Wonderful machine. Fast. Nice PQ. SD should sue Motorola for that POS 630. Or they should fire all their in house firmware coders. Either way, DO NOT go with Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Shaw D currently does not offer all the TMN stations in HD so if you are thinking of going with movies then you are better off with almost any other BDU. You mentioned movies in general and Shaw D also doesn't offer the Hollywood Suite package. If you were only interested in a basic package plus HGTV and TSN it would probably come down to price. Based on your consideration of movies/HBO services then Shaw Direct doesn't fit your needs.

And yes I am a current Shaw Direct subscriber.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Switching from Bell TV to Shaw Direct

Hey all,
I recently learned that Shaw Direct offers On Demand for channels such as Global and Family Channel and that they now rent receivers. I know I have to have internet for OD and I have it ! Anyhow, I called them up and they offered me a deal for 6 months where I only have to pay roughly around 68 dollars with a PVR and standard definition receiver.. The regular price will be 103 where I added some movie channels and US Superstations. Bell offered me a 10 dollar price decrease but I usually pay them 112. Is this a good deal for me to get Shaw Direct? Are they any good?

I have 7 MBPS internet speed.

221 - 240 of 287 Posts