Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Standard Def channels are of better quality.
HD channels are slightly better than Shaw Cable.
Hardware is more flaky- but improving.
Simsubs used to be better, but Shaw-owned Global Toronto HD is now overriding US East feeds.
If you weren't in Vancouver, snow on dish can be an issue.
Don't forget multiple receiver fees.
Prices (except for NHLCI/ NFLST) seem to be the same or higher depending on which packages you want.
Only PPV- no VOD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shaw woes...

So with Shaw...
- we are getting tired of the same movies/shows - like how many times do I need to watch "Fight club" - "Spiderman" ect. I think Shaw is charging us allot for what they offer.

We are searching for another provider - that can provide more HD channels and competitive monthly rates.

i have allready looked at Bel - but they seem to have the same programming -
is anyone else considering a switch away from Shaw as well?

Anyone care to help me out on some options? thanks for the help:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Switching from Bell to Shaw Gateway; a few questions.

Hello all,

I'm contemplating making a switch from Bell Sat over to Shaw Gateway. I'm thinking about this for financial reasons. I'll save almost $100/month if bundle all my services through Shaw. I also really like the idea of a shared PVR between multiple rooms. Right now I have 2 bell receivers and it is a pain in the ass if I want to switch rooms.

I have a few concerns though:

1) are most of the bugs worked out of the Gateway system? I understand that there have been a few updates.

2) How is the HD quality of the Shaw Gateway service compared to bell? (I have 9242 receivers with bell)

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
There can be some issues with Gateway but the majority of users are not having any serious problems. Another major code update is coming in a month or so and they are supposed to continue on a somewhat 'regular' basis.

As for picture quality, all I can tell you is the Gateway system has the best picture available from Shaw right now. I can't say how it compares to Bell as I haven't seen Bell in quite some time now and I don't know anyone with Bell to check it out for myself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shaw TV vs Bell Satellite TV - Better Bundle?

Well... the big change is coming. For the first time in 33 years I'm moving out of the Boonies into the Big Smoke. I currently have Bell Satellite with 2 HD PVRs (9241 & 9242) and an SD PVR, also an old 3100 SD Receiver. I'm moving into Hamilton to a Shaw Cable area, but I can retain Bell TV. When I go, I'm planning on bundling Internet, TV and Home Phone. The big question is - which is (currently) the best choice? I've had my ups and downs with Bell TV, but it's really pretty good, considering I've had to go to the Retention Dept a couple of times. But it is satellite. Shaw is Cable. The townhouse is wired for Shaw Cable. So the two main questions I have are: Which is the better bundle? and Can the Bell Receivers with dual tuners function with one coax connection (I've heard the new switches will work with a single coax lead to the receiver and split at the STB). I can't have them run a second parallel cable to the STB like I have now with my SW44. The current expectation is - Shaw - who've offered free rental of HD PVRs for a year with no contract. If I don't like them, I understand Fibe TV is coming within the year. Comments please and thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
well right now i have both shaw cable and bell tv and by far shaw is better in hardware/PQ

When i last had Bell tv it was known has BEV(ExpressVu) and it was much further ahead then Shaw however times have changed and Bell needs catching up to do.

After using the Gateway(and its 6 tuners) its so hard to go back to the 9242(and its 2 tuners). Also Bell still compresses(sp?) way too much.

I will give Bell credit though they have tons more HD then Shaw like MUCH, CBCNW, RADx, HIFI, EQ,PEACH, WSBK,KTLA,WPIX,COMEDY,SPIKE, E!, BOLD, OWN, MSNBC, HLN, NBA TV, Leafs Tv and 4 Hollywood Suite HD channels.

I love the fact that Bell offers all 4 SNET channels in HD(Shaw only carries 3 of the 4 and only 1 in HD) and also offers all 5 US Superstations including Peachtree in HD has well(Shaw only 1). One thing I missed about Bell was they have a ton of Timeshift channels and most are in HD!!!! Shaw doesn't even have the eastern CDN feeds in HD(which might be a good thing if u want to watch US commericals). With tons of CBC HD stations I won't be missing any CBC NHL Saturday games anymore.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Shaw Hamilton is the former Mountain Cable territory - has it been transitioned to be the same as Shaw elsewhere or is it still different?

·
Registered
166 Posts
it still is kinda different like instead of movie central, they have the tmn network and their on demand is also different and channels too. it's just mountain with the shaw rebranding, so no it hasn't yet transitioned completely yet into shaw.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Waffling still

So now I'm getting even more confused. According to correspondence with a Shaw rep, the only difference between Shaw Cable and Shaw Gateway is the hardware. I've asked twice if there is a minimum requirement for programming packages (Internet or Cable) but haven't had a reply to that. But from what I see, recording from any TV to one source, and viewing anywhere sounds nice. But there is still the same amount of recording space. The price for a Gateway and two portals is the same as two HD PVRs, so is it a tradeoff between recording space and portability would be the question. I already have two Bell Satellite HD PVRs, so maybe I should stick with them rather than pony up for new equipment. Sadly, the Shaw rep is no longer indicating the free rental offer, just a 6 month programming offer...
btw not so much smoke in Hamilton since 1/2 the steelmaking facilities are shut down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shaw Cable it is - but listen to this !

Update to a thread that apparently doesn't hold much interest - but you gotta hear this.
Decided on Shaw Cable because wife doesn't like rain dropouts, and I was able to secure some decent new subscriber deals ( programming packages, rentals, and of course no contract requirements) Bell was astounded I didn't stay with them - go figure.
Anyway, when the guy shows up to do the install, I ask to make sure the equipment is Motorola cause I heard Pace can be crap. Get this. Two Motorola DCX3400 HDPVRs DOA. One Motorola Internet Cable modem DOA - these were Brand new in box units!! Anyway, all was corrected with a return visit later in the afternoon by the installer, and a visit to the Hester St. office the next morning. What is this world coming to? I was thinking about going to Gateway when I figure they got the bugs worked out, but, we'll see.
BTW, no problem bringing along my trusty skywalk linksys router. At least I saved some grief there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
HD quality vs Bell HD

Hi,

I'm thinking about switching over to Shaw Calgary(gateway system) from Bell but I'm concerned about the HD quality. Bell HD is 720P..that's it, Shaw say theirs is 1080P, is that for all the HD or does their HD depend on the station, some being 720, some 1080i and some 1080p. Does anyone know what the bitrate is for the HD.

Thanks,

·
Registered
750 Posts
It will vary depending on the stations output but I'll say this, I have zero issues with the quality of the Gateways picture no matter the resolution. If it's a quality feed from the station, it will be a quality picture.

Frankly, the Gateway is what is keeping me with Shaw......for now. (Like many others I'm getting sick and tired of continued price hikes and will only be pushed so far.)

·
Super Moderator
56,439 Posts
Shaw Cable is not 1080P, except for some On-Demand stuff with the appropriate equipment. Shaw passes 720P for 720P channels and 1080i for 1080i channels. The bitrate will be whatever the station broadcasts (up to ~19 Mbps, unless there are 3 channels per QAM (likely for many of them) in which case the bitrate is 13 Mbps. The bitrate for MPEG4 channels is lower and bitrate is a pretty meaningless number these days due to the various forms of compression by various providers. Many OTA stations don't even use the full 19 Mbps, but broadcast at 13-17. See the following FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76129

What's typically most important is a proper optimization of the TV.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm not sure what you mean by proper optimization of the TV. I'll read your links.
My biggest concern is having a good quality signal for my Sony VPL-VW95 projector with a 7' wide screen, when the signal is poor you can really tell. Now I'm not expecting it to be as good as my Oppo Blu ray but I'm thinking Shaw can't be as bad as some of Bell's HD at times. Do happen to know what the typical bit rate is for HBO on both Shaw and Bell? I'm sure I couldn't tell the difference between Shaw/Bell HD on our 50" or 47" plasma's.

Interesting that you say you're tired of Shaw increasing the costs, lol, that's why I'm looking to switch to Shaw(I have their phone and internet) as Bell keeps jacking the costs up. I figure, after comparing both lineups, that I can save probably $35+ by going with Shaw. Of course I'll have to buy the gateway and 4 ports, but then on the other hand I have 4 HD and 2 STD boxes for Bell which I can sell.
I'm happy to hear Shaw got the bugs worked out of the gateway system, I have no complaints about their phone/net services.

If you buy the gateway/portals off kijiji can they be used with no problems or do they have to be released by the previous owner first before Shaw will let you use them. I don't want to be buying equipment that Shaw won't let me use.

Thanks Guys,

·
Super Moderator
16,596 Posts
Do happen to know what the typical bit rate is for HBO on both Shaw and Bell?
You're trying to compare apples and oranges. Shaw uses MPEG2 on most of their HD channels for backward compatibility with their older STBs. Bell switched to MPEG4 several years ago and replaced all their old MPEG2 STBs with MPEG4 STBs and switched all the HD channels to MPEG4. MPEG4 is much more modern and efficient, using about half the bandwidth for the same quality picture.

·
Super Moderator
56,439 Posts
...as mentioned in post 176. People should not get hung up on bitrate. For IPTV I cannot recall the number exactly but it's around 4-5 Mbps. I believe Bell Sat was around 10 Mbps for MPEG2 channels - I'm not sure what they've done lately after switching to MPEG4. I already stated what Cable is for MPEG2 in post 176.

There's also the option for variable bitrate, so instantaneous bitrates are again meaningless.

161 - 180 of 181 Posts