Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Which is better Rogers Digital Cable or Satellite?

• Rogers Digital Cable

Votes: 109 52.7%
  • Satellite (ExpressVu or Star Choice)

Votes: 78 37.7%
  • Both are equally good.

Votes: 20 9.7%
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum always gets the same question asked over and over so this sticky is for folks who want to discuss the issue in one thread.

So which is it Rogers or Satellite?

Feel free to ask questions comparision questions in this thread.

Please note:

If you have a specific Rogers, ExpressVu or Star Choice question, please use the respective forums.

This thread is strictly for comparision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's why satellite is better than rogers

I do not understand why people continue to put up with Rogers and do not take the time to really check out their options. The simple comparison is satellite is cheaper, more flexibility with programming and more features.
If you don't know why you haven't read the fine print but feel free to post reply and I will give the details.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Bilbo said:
I do not understand why people continue to put up with Rogers and do not take the time to really check out their options. The simple comparison is satellite is cheaper, more flexibility with programming and more features.
Unless you want a dual tuner HD-PVR machine. In which case both SC and BEV are non-starters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Star Choice has a PVR comming this spring that will blow away cables. It is released for spring of 2005 and will have a 160GB hard drive to record up to 100 hours so you can also rewind pause. Many of cable PVR right now only have selected channels you can access for this option. This will not be the case with the DSR 530.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Yeah...just like Starchoice has promised my parents that they would have internet through their system...soon...which was 6 years ago. :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hasn't it been a year since the satellite companies have "supposedly" been coming out with a PVR?

I also think it's a very poor thing to compare what is on the market, and being enjoyed by consumers, to a supposed product that isn't on the market, and may very well not ever be. By the time they come out with that product, Rogers may have already released several more models.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer to base my opinion on fact and previous performance, not empty promises with nothing to show for it. I want an HD PVR, and I have an HD PVR, not a rumour of one. Last time I checked, I can't record programming with rumours.

As for cable, I've also had no issues at all with rogers, I've had great customer service, I'm a VIP member so not sure if that makes a difference. But I'm guessing since this is a digital vs satellite thread, many will be VIP members.

Cable also has higher bandwidth, and you don't have to install some ugly dish on the side of your house, or not even be able to have this service with many or most condos/apartments.

I've also seen weather have an impact on satellite signals, and there are also posssibly things like branches that block signals or falling particles that can damage the dish.

From all the comparisons I've seen, I'd say it's at best, "marginally" cheaper. Last I checked you also can't get things like NFL Sunday Ticket on Expressvu, while rogers I had it this year, along with many other sports options.

Just my 2 cents anyway, which I'll always hand over to the company that provides me what I want, versus promises me what I want.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bilbo said:
...so you can also rewind pause. Many of cable PVR right now only have selected channels you can access for this option.
Huh? What the heck are you talking about? I'll be the first to admit the SA8000HD and 8300HD are far from perfect but there aren't any kind of limitations on which channels you can record/pause/rewind/etc. Maybe there are other PVRs out there with these limitations but this thread is comparing Rogers to satellite.

Besides, the Rogers PVR is here today. Until SC actually starts shipping their PVR it's just vaporware, period, so comparing features is pointless. You say it will be coming this spring, great. Let's wait and see. BEV was supposedly going to have an HD PVR by last fall and that obviously didn't happen so just because SC says it's coming this spring doesn't mean it's guaranteed.

Bottom line - if an HD PVR is a key requirement for you then Rogers is currently the only choice. For me it was a must have which is why I didn't even consider BEV or SC. If/when one of them starts shipping an HD PVR then I'll consider making the switch.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bilbo said:
Star Choice has a PVR comming this spring that will blow away cables. It is released for spring of 2005 and will have a 160GB hard drive to record up to 100 hours so you can also rewind pause. Many of cable PVR right now only have selected channels you can access for this option. This will not be the case with the DSR 530.
What are you talking about? The Rogers SA8300HD has been around for a while...two tuners, pause and rewind live TV from all channels. As far as I know, no PVR's out there have ever been dependent on which channel you're on for their functions to work. Where the SA8300HD falls short is with the bugs in the software and pathetic search capabilities. It's still very easy to live with though.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Bilbo said:
But it requires a STB for every TV in your house, and you can have problems in you live in a neighbourhood with lots of big trees. With satellite you also must purchase equipment rather than rent. Cable also allows you to have VoD and I particularly like TMNoD which is free if you subscribe to TMN.

D

·
0 Posts
Bilbo said:
You state you are a sales rep for SC in another thread, you have done your company a major disservice by showing your clear ignorance of the marketplace. I wonder how Justin Mxxxxxxx or Jim Cxxxxxx would feel if they knew.

It's good to be excited about a marvelous product that is finally coming to SC, but get your facts straight before you embarass yourself and others sales people that are professionals.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
By the time the vapourware becomes reality, Cable will have the Multi-Room version of the SA8300HD out....

The current SA8300HD has a 160 GB HDD, I'm not sure what'll be in the MR version.

Bilbo, you definitely need to get your facts straight.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I used to be on *C and jumped on the Realchoice program in Nov 2004. Here is my take on it all after 4 months on Rogers Digital.

*C was generally a good experience. There were issues at first with signal fade during rain but once the new bird was launched, that all but vanished. As far as snow, the ONLY way it is an issue is if the dish gets burried. Just don't put the dish in a stupid location.

4.5 years ago, there was no contest. Sat was WAY better than cable. Especially in NB. Now that Rogers has been in control in NB for the last 3 or so years, the offered product quality has done nothing but go up. As of spring 2004, NB was generally the same offering as ON. From all I have heard here, it looks like in 2005 NB will be almost exactly equal.

Now straight up, TV only, the differences for a regular set top box from Rogers vs. *C, is pretty close. However there are a few things that make a HUGE difference. Rogers has more/better HD, has an HD PVR(dual tuner due in NB in 4 weeks), offers highspeed internet and offers bundled discounts on getting more services.

All told, I am saving over $40 per month being a full on Rogers customer. I have all the channels that Rogers offers in NB (No sports extras as I am not into sports) and I upgraded to extreme highspeed. In retrospect, I didn't even NEED the RC program, but hey, that is what pushed me over the edge. Nothing like not having to pay for an HD PVR as long as I stay with Rogers.

In respect to the comment about needing a STB for each TV with Sat... When all the channels on cable are digital and Rogers wants the analog bandwidth back, this will be an inevitability for cable subscribers.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Bilbo said:
If you don't know why you haven't read the fine print but feel free to post reply and I will give the details.
You can substitute ExpressVu for Rogers in the above statement as far as I am concerned.

I recently switched from BEV to Rogers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
que3jxp said:
In respect to the comment about needing a STB for each TV with Sat... When all the channels on cable are digital and Rogers wants the analog bandwidth back, this will be an inevitability for cable subscribers.
This is true, but I'm not sure on prices and variety with satellite, but with rogers, it seems that digital cable boxes come out frequently, which means you can get additional STBs dirt cheap. For example the 3200 I think it was, at futureshop, for $50 at the register, which came with $100 programming credit, and 10 free VOD movies. They are paying you to take their stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well apparently I upset a few people in this thread. I didn't mean to do so. I just found this on the web yesterday and thought I could provide some imput. Guess not..
I should have been more specific when I said there are restrictions with the Rogers PVR. Most of the Rogers customers I switched didn't even care much about the pvr. They just want good service at a reasonable price. But I do not want to discuss that either. I was informed from my boss that pausing and rewinding on the PPV with rogers is only on selected channel. Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't never in 3 years come up with this objection when a digital cable customer is thinking of switching, no correction I did once and he still switched so that shows you how much he cared in the end.

From my experience 90% of Rogers customers feel they pay too much for cable. They don't like the idea that in order to get the best price from them you have to sign over your soul and have every other service with them as well. Where's the freedom of choice in that?

Oh and please don't disrespect me or my job, remember I'm just speaking my opinion and giving the info from what I know. I like my job and represent my company well, I just want my customers to find something they're going to be happy with. Thats all most people want. I am impressed with the technical knowledge of everyone who writes in here though. But keep in mind that if you over analyze the features and over compare you may have trouble making any discission at all. You have to know what you want. Better price, more interactivity, more HD, and then decide based on what will satisfy you.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Bilbo said:
From my experience 90% of Rogers customers feel they pay too much for cable. They don't like the idea that in order to get the best price from them you have to sign over your soul and have every other service with them as well. Where's the freedom of choice in that?
Rogers gives me 72 channels plus HD networks for $44.98 for four TVs. I also have free rental of an HD PVR. Last time I checked with Bell, the same would cost $55.00 with no HD PVR and I have to sign up for a one or two year contract and buy the receivers at $99 each.

As for bundling, Bell does the same thing except you are forced to sign a 1 year contract with hefty early termination penalties.

I think you need to do more research.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Bilbo said:
The only thing that Rogers PVRs cannot record is VOD, as it would defeat the purpose of VOD, because you only order it when you are ready to watch it. This is really a non-issue for satellite as they can't offer VOD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always see this arguement coming up, and it really seems like the whole Ford vs Chevy debate. I find that there are a few advantagtes and disadvantages to both systems. I switched to Expressvu from Rogers because of Rogers sucky customer support. Lot's of people hate Bell's customer support. I think it just depends on your luck.

I really like space, and speed channels. I found that on Rogers, both these channels were nearly unwatchable. They and most other channels are pretty good on expressvu. There are a few other channels that seemed sharper on Rogers.

Pricewise, both systems worked out to be within a couple of bucks of each other for the options I wanted.

I really think that there is no better solution of one over the other. Some work better for some people than others, depending on what you want.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Huge one-page ad in today's Globe comparing Rogers/BEV (Page A14). Some interesting notes on what BEV doesn't have...

- No CBC HD (hmmmm)
- No Fox News
- No "on demand"
- no free HD channels
- no HD PVR
- Etc.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts