Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for discussion of the Pace Whistler (DC758D).

Firmware Release Notes

FAQ:

1. How do I get into diagnostics?

To get to those diagnostics, press the power button, then press the select button within two seconds. To leave, press the power button.

2. How can I format the eSATA HDD?

While on the main diagnostics page (not the dashboard page), press

Repeat
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
MyDVR*
LIVE

*MyDVR may be LIST on your remote depending on your cable provider

this will bring up a screen where you can select the drive to format and subsequently format the drive. After a few seconds, the box will reboot. After reboot, the drive will be available for use (the format is a two phase process so the initial format GUI may appear to be very quick).

Be aware that formatting the drive can't be undone and you will lose all the content on the drive. Do not use this screen unless absolutely necessary.

3. What are the discrete Power On/Off codes?

* HEX 4A (0x4A) for Power On
* HEX 4B (0x4B) for Power Off

4. Why is TV Guide indicating that my disk is not full when its definitely not full?

This is a bug in the guide. Most of the time, the only way to resolve it is to reboot your box. Sometimes (but very rarely) if you delete a recording, it may recover and get out of the error state.

5. How do I get into Pace User Settings?

Press the Power Button on the remote and then Menu. This will allow you to change a variety of settings. Press the Power button to return to live TV.

6. What is the PowerMenu?

It is the same as Pace User Settings (older name for the same function).

7. What are the main differences between Whistler and Summit?

The primary differences are:

• Whistler supports analogue (analog to us Americans :D) content.
  • Summit can decode MPEG-4 content.
  • Summit does not include an internal HDD.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What is the difference between the Whistler and the Aspen? From the specifications and the photo, they look exactly the same. If the Whistler is replacing the Aspen, what is new and improved?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the difference between the Whistler and the Aspen?
Aspen is very similar to Summit other than it includes an internal HDD. All of the comparisons in the FAQ apply to both Aspen and Summit. I will update the FAQ accordingly.

Mods: I don't seem to have the ability to edit the FAQ in the first post. Is this something you could enable for my account?

·
Registered
110 Posts
So the only difference between these new Pace PVRs and the older Aspen is internal vs external hard drive. There are no other improvements with hardware or firmware at all? I guess I don't quite understand here. If it looks like an Aspen and has exactly the same specifications as the Aspen, then why suddenly call it a Whistler?

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a picture of it in the Digital Home story:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/2009/10/shaw-introduces-new-cable-set-top-boxes/

Maybe Pace has a bunch of old Aspen models returned that had noisy crappy hard drives in them. Just reading some of the postings here indicates Pace had hard drive issues. What to do with them? Remove the hard drives, re-sell them as the Summit but the customer has to buy an external drive. Then source better quality hard drives and re-brand all new built Aspens as the Whistler.:p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the only difference between these new Pace PVRs and the older Aspen is internal vs external hard drive. There are no other improvements with hardware or firmware at all?
I didn't say that! I just said the primary hardware differences mentioned in the FAQ apply to both.

I can't get into details in a public forum, but the hardware in Aspen and Summit are different. The firmware images also are different.

Aspen/Summit offer some features not available in Whistler (i.e. MPEG-4) and Whistler is analog capable. There are more significant differences, but I was only providing highlights. Hope this clarifies things a little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's a couple questions.

1. Occasionally recorded shows don't play and just show the time bar at the end. Does the same with start from beginning. As often it happens with all recorded shows in my My Recordings but then later most will be fine but some don't work. I've unplugged it (as well as a power outage) but it didn't resolve anything.

2. When watching a recorded show I'll fast forward and when I hit play it returns to the spot I fast forwarded from. It's very frustrating when forwarding through an intermission or halftime only to have to do it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having some more issues with shows not being recorded on the 770D.

Recorded item shows up on list, but when you select the show to watch it there is just a time bar at the bottom of the screen showing the recording being at the end. When you try "Start from beginning", blank screen, nothing happens. The recording seems to be taking up space on the PVR but is unwatchable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those issues, plus the interference with my TV remote signal, made me return my rental box the day after I got it. I ended up buying the DC758D, which I'm happy with. I'm sure Shaw's happy too getting more of my money.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I talked to Shaw the other day and they said that they were nearly ready to release a firmware update for the Pace boxes, which will hopefully fix the issues we have been having and it should allow for the new version of VOD.

·
Registered
72 Posts
HDMI Output

I just had my TDC770D installed yesterday and the shaw installer used my component cables. I have tried connecting my HDMI cable but I get nothing; no picture or sound.

The cable is questionable as my DVD player HDMI doesn't work but I thought it was the player, not the cable.

Does this terminal put the signal out HDMI automatically as there are no settings in the setup menus I have access to.

The cable was only $20 so no big deal if it is faulty but I want to confirm the STB HDMI output is functioning before I get a new cable.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have no idea if it came with one, the installer just used the cables that were already attached to my TV. I will call and ask about this.

Will the HDMI output just work or is there a setting somewhere I need to change when I get a new cable?

Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
In my experience, no adjustments/settings were necessary to get HDMI to work. I have had problems with an occasional HDMI cable though.

Your Whistler should have come with a Quick Start Guide, maybe an IR receiver (I am not sure whether Whistler packages include this IR receiver, the Aspen and Summit packages did. Use it if you want to put the Whistler where your remote control signal cannot reach it. I don't recommend using it though - it may not work reliably) and a two-compartment plastic bag containing an HDMI cable, a coax cable, the remote control, the remote control instruction booklet and a pair of cheap AA batteries.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't see any of that as the installer took care of everything as I was taking care of my kids.

I contacted shaw and they have a cable ready for me to pick up so I should be able to plug in and it will work.

Thanks for your help Kritiker

1 - 20 of 95 Posts